Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Explorer 6 crashes on the Windows Update page

Options
  • 18-03-2004 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi Lads,

I upgraded my machine from Windows 2000 to Windows XP professional. I installed the Service Pack 1 for it as well. I installed microsoft JVM as well.

But my problem is whenever I visit the microsoft update page, my explorer crashes and solution is (Ctrl + Alt + Del) and kill it.

Can anyone help me in this case please !

Thanks lads,

ww)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭weichen

Are you sure you are using Windows XP with proper linense?

If you useing Windows XP copy with certain CD-Key,you can't update your windows from website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭redhat_newbie

Bulls Eye ! weichen
    Any other solutions or there isn't a solution !
    Is there any site where we can individually download the patchs for XP and update the machine !

cheers,
    ww)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Originally posted by weichen
    Are you sure you are using Windows XP with proper linense?

If you useing Windows XP copy with certain CD-Key,you can't update your windows from website

yes, but it actually sez that the cd key is invalid and to ring M$ if you are in doubt [or something to that effect]

cant say IE crashed on the update site for me before...[yes, I DO have a valid cd key...now]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

Originally posted by redhat_newbie
    Bulls Eye ! weichen
    Any other solutions or there isn't a solution !
    Is there any site where we can individually download the patchs for XP and update the machine !

cheers,
    ww)

If u have a seperate machine u could visit the windows update site and select the "Windows Update Catalog" option from within "personalise windows update" This will allow u to download all the updates for any windows version, and install them on your windows xp machine. Prob not the solution u were looking for, but if u have friend running windows, it might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

If service pack 1 installed (run winver from the run prompt to check) (sp1 for xp, not sp1 for IE) correctly, your license key should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

id suggest getting rid of IE,coz it sucks
    get firefox instead,i used to run IE but since ive switched to firefox its a hell of a lot better

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭slartibardfast

check out autopatcher. It is really cool way to avoid windowsupdate, it includes just about everything upto 8 march or so. It should fix your windowsupdate problem to boot.

It's over 300mb's but well worth it:
    http://www.autopatcher.com/DownloadXP.htm

If it doesn't delete 'update class' object in the 'tools\ internet options\ temp internet settings\ view objects' it may be stale from win2k etc.

I second garth's firefox theory...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Garth_Vader
    id suggest getting rid of IE,coz it sucks
    get firefox instead,i used to run IE but since ive switched to firefox its a hell of a lot better
    I see now why this irritates dahamsta so much.

Although firefox is better, you can only go to the customized Windows Update page using IE. This is one of the reasons why I have it on my system, and one of the reasons why I bother to fix it when it b0rks.

However, you can download updates separately using other browsers, but you'll have to go to http://support.microsoft.com/ for any particular problems you may be having.
    You can also browse the download directory at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en but you won't know what you need to download for your system.

3 KB Articles which may or may not be useful to you:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;286405
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315496
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;178941

Personally, I'm thinking there's the possibility that your security settings may be set too high. Windows Update uses a lot of activeX and other features in IE, which is why you can't use another browser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭redhat_newbie

Thanks a lot for the help guys.......

a) cuan , I will try your method. It turns to be handy at the moment.

b) Firefox I have it installed, but windows update is not possible as Seamus explained it cleanly. My IE security settign are set to "Medium" level.

c) slartibardfast , your link to AutopatchXP is good, will try it out. 300 mb of patches!. But I found that patches are till FEB 2004.

Thanks for the help lads , thanks again

ww)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭roryodonnell

You might want to check that you have any download managers disabled, (Download Mage, Lightning Download). These DO interfere with the update website. I had Lightning download a while ago, it gave me an error 0x80023452 (or some error number like that) when ever I tried to grab updates.

Rory

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Can you post more specific information about the crash. Is there a Dr.Watson error or another type of crash?

Paste the error dialog into the msg and post it up here please.

Also check Event Viewer (Start->Run->Eventvwr.exe) for any more information about the crash and please provide it here also.

Thanks,

Colm.

Advertisement