Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starship Troopers: Roughnecks on DVD - Seriously Pissed off!!

Options
  • 18-03-2004 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

So,

I liked the original film, and really enjoyed the CGI animated series when it was on the screens, but always wondered how it ended.

Then lately I see the entire DVD set going cheap online so I buy them, and watch them all the way through to the end only to discover...

1) The series was friggen cancelled before they could finish it.
    2) Not all episodes (which were screened ) made it to the DVDs

Damt it all to hell anyway - why can't they just do thing right?:confused:

c0y0te
    :ninja:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I used to watvh it, but it got too confusing

The original book is absolutly excellent, i read it recently

The movie was only loosly adapted from it, IMHO. then again, i havent seen the movie in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Commissar

Loosly adapted?!! That's an understatement!! The strongest connection between the book and the film was the name.

Hmmm, guess it wasnt just me then

Helluva book though

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Commissar

Yeah it was a good read. I got the impression the writer was trying to make a point about society there too. All those lectures on social values, crime and punishment and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Heinlein trying to make a point! That'd be a first :) Hes one of my favourite authours but his social commentary tends to be very heavy handed ("Stranger in a strange land" or "Job" anyone)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

I tried to get me a copy of the original book, but it's not easy to find online. Some second hand versions exist, but I'd prefer to get a decent copy.

Any suggestions?

I got mine from the library

And the system was genius, specially the way only people who had seen combat could become officers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 thetis

I got H & F to order me a copy there about three years ago. It may take a week or two, but if I remember correctly the charge was very reasonable. I'm sure they still offer that facility if you want a new copy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

. I got the impression the writer was trying to make a point about society there too

And verhoeven wasn't???

That film is one of the best satire pieces i've ever seen, mocking the military/industrial complex america is becoming, and the pervasiveness of fascism masked as patriotism.

The book is excellent too, If you liked it check out The Forever War but Joe Haldeman, not exactly the same thing but anyone i've reccomended it to loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Macseamusa

!! yeah i loved that show it kicked major ass. who is the author of the star ship troopers book?
    'The Forever War' hmm the title sounds something like the idea of war in George Orwell's 1984( if ya havent heard of it READ IT NOW)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi

Recently read that there is a 2nd StarShip Troopers DVD coming out / just out ... appears to have been done on a low budget, but read on DVDForums that it actually turned out alright for a cheapie

Anyone seen it here yet ?

Thanks,

G.

Advertisement