Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Muse - Olympia gig revisited

• 18-03-2004 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just a quick question for all those who attended the Muse gig in the Olympia.
    Namely the Monday night gig (Feb 23rd):

Are your ears still ringing?!

That gig took place over three weeks ago and I still have a ringing sound
    in my ears. Along with the feeling I need to 'pop' my ears every so often as
    you do when you go diving or fly in an aeroplane.

I had seen Muse before this and I had certain reservations about seeing
    them play in the Olympia. The venue is wonderful (if a ripoff price wise) but
    the noise a band like Muse generate is surely not suited for an enclosed
    venue such as this.

I don't want to come across as something of a moaning old git ("turn down
    that racket ya little maggotts!") and the gig itself was truly wonderful (Hysteria -
    the highlight for me) but I'm going to be seriously miffed if my doctor tells me
    tomorrow that my hearing has been permanently damaged.

There were moments during the gig when the sound actually caused me
    pain.

Just curious.

Ta.

Paul

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Your ears should return to normal within a couple of days. If not, something is wrong, possibly the onset of tinnitus. There's nothing clever about damaged hearing, you should always wear ear plugs at gigs. Sorry to sound like the grumpy old bastid but the volume levels at some gigs (especially with sound engineers with damaged hearing they're not aware of) are actually quite dangerous. Most bands (regardless of how many amps you see on stage) only have one amp turned on so they can hear themselves clearly and so they don't f*ck up their own hearing.

Good luck with the doctor tomorrow, I hope it's not too serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

nah my ears are grand, they were grand the day after the gig, i never experienced and pains in my ears during the gig and found the sound level to be fairly alright, it was loud but not over the top.

was in a club last night were the noise level was way too high and had my ears still ringing this morning but there fine now, think some people just have different tolerances to noise.

then theres the effect constant noise of that level reduces your hearing gradually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Silent Grape

sweet jesus go to the doctor!

Advertisement