Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win xp pro or win 98???

Options
  • 18-03-2004 3:14pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just got a new pc--
    P4-2.8 etc.
    It doesnt come with an OS but can get a copy of unused xp pro from a friend for free or use my own licence of win 98.
    Which is better??Considering I mainly use it for gaming etc.
    Any problems installing this as I believe its a bootable cd and Im not too sure on going about the install.
    Any help appreciated.
    Richie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

ur joking right?

XP

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Originally posted by uberwolf
    ur joking right?

XP

Seriously.
    No--Its not a joke.
    Ive used 98 for almost 5years now on the one PC and its never given me one bit of bother despite what some people say about it.And since I know it inside out at this stage I was considering staying with 98 but am tempted to upgrade to XP and see what all the fuss is about.
    Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

put in xp cd - go for a cup of tea

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

xp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭redhat_newbie

XP Professional + XP Plus (if you get a chance) Rock on !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

XP. If you've had no problems with 98 it's still worth seeing what it has to offer.

Don't bother with XP Plus - IMHO it isn't even worth installing if you get it for nowt.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

if you like your explorer crashing on a regular basis, being asked if you want to send endless error reports - xp is the way to go...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

XP its time to move on,

Thanks joePC

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

The fact that you even need to ask this question shows that you haven't used XP much.

I'll be glad to see the back of Win98 after working with it for so long. Yeah, I know it like the back of my hand, but at this stage my XP knowledge is getting pretty good too, and it's a far superior OS in too many ways to list in a brief post.

Originally posted by ambasite
    if you like your explorer crashing on a regular basis, being asked if you want to send endless error reports - xp is the way to go...

Roffle. Haven't had much experience with 98 then, have we?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Yah the xp is goot, and your machine is quick enough to handle it, xp has a fresh look compared to 98, it supports the removable memory keyrings without a driver disc.
    If you're worried about the error reporting, it can be turned off. And you can make xp look almost like 98 by turning off the xp theme. I have a parallel scanner I can't use with xp which worked perfectly with 98, because of some drivers issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Originally posted by Fabritzo
    Yah the xp is goot, and your machine is quick enough to handle it, xp has a fresh look compared to 98, it supports the removable memory keyrings without a driver disc.
    If you're worried about the error reporting, it can be turned off. And you can make xp look almost like 98 by turning off the xp theme. I have a parallel scanner I can't use with xp which worked perfectly with 98, because of some drivers issue.

i had a problem with a scanner - but managed to track down the XP driver try http://www.software.drivers.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Hellrazer

XP is really the only way to go.

There is no support for win98 anymore

XP has less memory leaks (still more the linux though)

it's supported and it has much better generic drivers and features.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Urgh. Windows 98. Stable enough, but the amount of times you need to restart during a clean install would break your heart!

You have double clicked, would you like to restart now? :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Looks like XP so.

One more question---Im going to install the OS on a separate drive and my applications on my current 80 gig.
    Ive a spare 10gig drive here and the 80 gig one.
    The 80gig one a Fat32(For 98) which has all my applications etc on it but the 10gig one has never been used and I believe that xp uses an ntfs file system.Do I need to reformat the 80gig one to ntfs for use with Xp??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

You won't have to reformat your drive - you can either leave it as FAT32, or convert it to NTFS without losing your data.

If your 80GB drive is faster than your 10GB (most likely), you would be better off running your OS off the faster 80GB drive. If your 80GB is currently populated by a single FAT32 partition, you can either install XP onto that drive (preferably deleting your 98 installation first), or you'll need to get your hands on some partition-manipulation software (e.g. Partition Magic) to resize the partition to make space for your XP partition. Either way, use the 10GB for your XP swap file.

You could even dual-boot for a while to make sure you want to go ahead with XP, but I wouldn't even bother TBH. I doubt you'll ever boot 98 again once installing XP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i think you can upgrade directly from 98 to XP (someone correct me if i'm wrong) and you can keep the FAT 32 file system if you want but i think that NTFS is recommended. personally i'd prefare a clean install and recommend you back up your stuff and format the 80gig using NTFS and you'll be sorted.

data

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

dual boot it, it's handy to have 98 for legacy games you may want to play.

NTFS is more reliable, a little faster, survives bad shutdowns and power cuts better.

you wont be able to access the NTFS from win98

Thanks for the advice people---Ive had some serious problems with XP since I installed it.If anyone can help Id appreciate it.It does seem to be more stable than Win 98 and if I could get some audio with it Id be even happier.

The problem is described here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=148510

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

Originally posted by Sico
    The fact that you even need to ask this question shows that you haven't used XP much.

I'll be glad to see the back of Win98 after working with it for so long. Yeah, I know it like the back of my hand, but at this stage my XP knowledge is getting pretty good too, and it's a far superior OS in too many ways to list in a brief post.

Roffle. Haven't had much experience with 98 then, have we?

plenty, thanks. my gripe with xp is that everytime i drag & drop a zipped file from network to folder on root drive - explorer crash - send error report & relaunch explorer. it's the little things..... etc. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Neither, Xp is windows for schoolgirls

use W2000.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Xp Pro

If you want to use 2000 make sure you disable Hyper Threading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

windows fd is the best (em..allegedly)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by Hellrazer
    Just got a new pc--
    P4-2.8 etc.
    It doesnt come with an OS but can get a copy of unused xp pro from a friend for free or use my own licence of win 98.
    Which is better??Considering I mainly use it for gaming etc.
    Any problems installing this as I believe its a bootable cd and Im not too sure on going about the install.
    Any help appreciated.
    Richie

unused xp pro
    - if it came with a new computer ie. "OEM" then you are not allowed to use on any other HW than it came with.
    - if it was a retail box you can install it on one PC at a time only.

Have a look at the price of the retail version of XP pro, consider how much they have been fined by the EU - then you should realise that they want money.

Advertisement