Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Far Cry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Originally posted by tman
    according to eurogamer, there'll be a patch out next month that includes a quicksave feature:)
    Excellent, looks like I'll have to buy it so!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Guys - please! Use spoilers for the benefit of those of us for whom the postal strike is delaying our enjoyment of the game! :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

how much did you pay online? its only E40 in Xtra vision.

Sean

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

You can get the patch for V1.1 here

27 megs or so. And now to wait for the postman.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ok single player games are all well and good but the real meat is in the online play.
    Any feedback about online play? netcode? etc please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

The full game runs much faster than the demo :).
    I had expected it to be laggy, even at 800x600, but I'm playing at 1024x768, medium detail 4xAF and it's smooth as silk :D. Excellent game engine and awesome game so far.

I had shader problems inside the carrier though, the wall textures were ultra-bright and models were really dark (silhouettes). I used the OpenGL drivers instead of D3D9 and it's fine now.

Is there anyone else here using an Nvidia DX8 card (GF2/3/4) to play Far Cry?
    Did you need to use the OpenGL drivers or are there FX drivers that work with D3D?

Sir Random, try downloading the patch. It's supposed to double nVidia performance and fix the shader issues.

Originally posted by feylya
    Sir Random, try downloading the patch. It's supposed to double nVidia performance and fix the shader issues.
    Ok, I'll try that.
    Double performance? :eek: :cool:

Apparently so.
    - Improved shader speed (up to two times faster) for NVidia Geforce FX cards on very high settings
    - Fixed fog bug with NVidia drivers
    - Added support for NVidia NV40 chipset
    - Fixed realtime shadows from blended trees
    - Made improvements to lighting shaders on very high settings
    - Fixed bug with lake reflections
    - Added support fro PS3.0 shader profile

The Improved shader speed for FX cards refers to PS2.0 shaders, but I only have a DX8 card so it doesn't really apply :(. I read a few posts about the 1.1 patch messing up the game for some people so I won't install it unless I have to. The game looks gorgeous anyway, and plays really smooth with OpenGL so I'll leave well alone.
    I'll have to play it again when I get a new gfx card to see it in all it's glory :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I acquired the game a few days ago. I think it's absolutely fantastic. The graphics are a cross between Half-life 2 and Doom 3; bump mapping and shaders are used everywhere! It runs extremely well at 12**x1024 with max details on my 3ghz P4 with a radeon 9800 pro, I have to say I was a little surprised.

The vehicles work really well, and the weapons are fun to use. I like the idea of no quick saves to be honest, those b1tching have no skill ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I agree. Checkpoints make the game challenging (without being impossible), and they are pretty frequent. PC users have been spoilt by quick saves, and this game is a wakeup call for crap gamers :)

Oh so I guess you two have never ever used a quick save in your life, because you're so "l33t" eh? suuure :rolleyes: No one's forcing you to use them so I don't see what you're on about (apart from the "hey look at me I'm so cool" factor).

Tell you what... next time you're playing a game with quick saves, get an egg-timer and every time it goes off (or every second or third time depending on your difficulty level), then you're allowed save. Voila, checkpoints :p

Then the rest of us can then play on without having to play the same pointless sections again and again.

If you keep dying during certain sections, try a different approach. That has happened to me a few times in Far Cry. For example,
    just after the treehouse level, there is a ruined fort. The fort is linked to another fort by a roped bridge. Every time I crossed that bridge, I kept getting sniped by the guys on the second fort. Rather than retry and retry, I came up with a new plan to go back to the first fort, climb a guard tower, and snipe them from a distance

Another example was
    the beach leading up to the path to the satellite dish, early in the game. The beach was pretty hard.... I found it easier to nick a boat and pick off the soldiers from a distance.

Its alot more satisfying than "kill one guy, quick save, kill another guy, quick save, kill another, quick save" etc. etc.

I stick with my original point about Far Cry, though... the checkpoints are just the right distance apart to make the game challenging rather than frustrating.

Well I agree that's fair enough if they're in the right places and often enough, then it can be good. Too many games have very sparse checkpoints, meaning you need to wade through 10 minutes of easy and boring gameplay in order to get to the challenging bit to try a different approach!

I guess with Far Cry's more freeform approach this isn't necessarily the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Will this work on a Geforce MX ?
    I bought Deus Ex2 ,Silent Hill 3 and Turok Evolution before to find I couldnt play them !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

What I find annoying is playing game WITH quick saves and forgetting to use them and then dying....................

Originally posted by Jazz
    need to wade through 10 minutes of easy and boring gameplay in order to get to the challenging bit.
    I'm about half way though, and this hasn't happened yet.... Its never easy or boring! :)

Well that's a good sign! heheh I guess I should just play the game first eh?!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I’m playing it since Sunday; I’ve had it for about a week, but got a bit carried away with BFV last week.

Like others have said – I think the save points are just right. Playing it on “challenging” which is hard but not impossible.

What does everyone think about the feel of the multiplayer, and is the net code any good? (Ubi hasn’t giving me a CD code with the review code – so no net play for me.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

spoiler****

Im in the control level, and went through a vetilation shaft under water, and i come up in this room with about 6 trigens, i last about 5 seconds max!, anyone know how to get past it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

As soon as the door opens, move back slightly, start firing off grenades from your gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

thanks, managed to get past it since though, it turns out you can go up the ladder too, so i ended up in a room above that one, and i could pick them all off before going back down.!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

i am on Level14: Boat. anyone else here?? i cant seem to kill the guy in the chopper. any ideas?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by irishguy
    i am on Level14: Boat. anyone else here?? i cant seem to kill the guy in the chopper. any ideas?

Become better at hitting moving targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Eh, better use some spoilers I guess...
    If it's the one just after you've planted the explosives and blown up the boat, head up to the front of the ship and keep ducking in behind the steel-rope holder-things. Use the rocket launcher (there's one in the ship's cabin) to hit the chopper as it comes into view, duck back the other way and wait for it to come back the other side.

Rinse and repeat.

i sorted this out, hit the chopper 6 times with a rocket launcher before i whent down. relistic huh...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Goin to get my hands on a 9800pro and farcry on Tues week and was wondering if anyone was having any issues with the game.

Also,I read somewhere that you needed a gig of RAM to play it at high resolutions...only have a 512mb stick of pretty low performance stuff. Cant really afford anymore RAM at the moment.

p

just finished the game last night. finaly someone made a game with good game play and more than 3 levels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

just finished the game last night. finaly someone made a game with good game play and more than 3 levels.

How long did it take you?

Advertisement