Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 2003 Software RAID

Options
  • 18-03-2004 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭

Hi there!

I built a machine today with two 120 GB IDE disks, and decided to use RAID 1 to mirror them. This is a Windows 2003 Web Edition server. I made the disks dynamic, and then created a mirror of the boot and system partiton and then synchronised it.

I then tried to test it. If I removed the mirror drive, the machine boots fine. However, if I remove the original drive and set the mirrored copy to be a master, the machine doesn't boot - it just hangs flashing a cursor. Any ideas what I can do to make it work?

Dan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭slartibardfast

boot up with the windows 2003 cd into a recovery console, with *only* the new disk plugged in and rewrite the bootsector, I think it is FIXMBR, although it has a strange way of referencing the drive, which is identical to the boot.ini file.

Should work afterwards, and it really can't do much harm as it is just the spare.

good luck,.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

there used to be a technet article about
    "booting from the dark side of a broken mirror"

of course when you took out the first drive you DID make the second hard drive a master by changing jumpers / position on cable ????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Yup, definately set the mirror to be a master on the primary ide controller. Slarti, can you be more specific? Not quite sure what you mean there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭slartibardfast

I'll look for an indepth recovery console guide, in the mean time try this:

http://experts.about.com/q/1062/449532.htm

seems to imply you would only have to modify boot.ini, and could leave the mirror disk as secondary. although I haven't tested this.

Advertisement