Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland to play Holland in June

• 18-03-2004 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.soccercentral.ie/viewstory.asp?id=12465&mainheading=Republic+of+Ireland&viewstory=yes
    FAI CEO Fran Rooney has announced that the Republic of Ireland will play Holland in a friendly international in preparation for the World Cup 2006 qualifiers.

The Dutch game will take place in Amsterdam on June 5th. The programme of confirmed friendly fixtures, following the Brazil game in Dublin last month now consists of:

March 31 - Czech Republic (home)
    April 28 - Poland (away)
    May 27th - Romania (home)
    June 5 - Holland (away)

CEO Rooney said he was delighted to secure the Dutch game. “Holland are a very attractive team and they represent a really stern test”, he said. “The package of friendlies for 2004 is shaping up to be a very strong one”, said Rooney. He confirmed that part of the agreement with the Dutch was a reciprocal home tie in 2006

“The balance of home and away friendly matches is a good one and the Association will continue to seek the type of fixtures which will add to Brian’s preparations for World Cup 2006”, Rooney said.

Commenting on the Dutch game, Brian Kerr said he thought it was a “great fixture”. “Holland are one of the top teams in the world and it’s great to have this game as we prepare for the World Cup qualifying matches in the autumn”. “We need to test ourselves away from home and they don’t come much tougher than Holland in Amsterdam”, he said.

Ranked fourth in the world and among the favourites to claim the European Championship title, Holland are one of the games biggest names in world football boasting players of the quality of Ruud van Nistelrooy, Patrick Kluivert and Edgar Davids.

The game will be the first clash between the two sides since Jason McAteer gave Ireland a famous 1-0 victory at Lansdowne Road in September 2001 to put the Boys in Green firmly on the road to the 2002 World Cup.

Earlier in the 2002 World Cup qualifying campaign, Ireland visited the Amsterdam ArenA earning an important 2-2 draw though historically, Holland have had the upper hand winning eight of their 17 meetings (Ireland have won six) including victories that knocked Ireland out of the 1988 European Championships and 1994 World Cup.
    The players are getting a little spoilt now.:) I can see the Irish going over to Amsterdam in there thousands since the match is in June.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭The Phenom

Hooray come on McAteer. ha ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

:ninja: if we lose the dutch guy i know will never let me live it down.....im always calling his team crap

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

Should be a good game to judge the teams progress over the last few years.

Trigger may even get a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

Wow, that's FOUR top 10 teams in one year
    (top 6 teams as they stand now)

1 Brazil
    2 France
    3 Spain
    4 Netherlands
    5 Mexico
    6 Czech Republic
    - England
    - Argentina
    9 Turkey
    10 Germany

I'd quite fancy a long-weekend there myself in June :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by knobbles
    Wow, that's FOUR top 10 teams in one year
    Add Turkey to make that 5.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Add Turkey to make that 5.:)

...jaysus yeah, and 7 in just over 2 years,
    4 draws so far, 3 more to come maybe?
    So predictable!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭[DF]Lenny

It will be a wild few days nomatter what...back to the 'Dam the only place where English fans dont riot:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Originally posted by phenom
    Should be a good game to judge the teams progress over the last few years.

Doubt it...it's another meaningless friendly....another opportunity for players to get injured for real games.

Ooooh...look at us playing all these big teams, aren't we just great. Please spare me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

seansouth why do you bother posting on this thread with an attitude like that? Personally I think it'll be a useful friendly to test the new players in.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by vorbis
    seansouth why do you bother posting on this thread with an attitude like that? Personally I think it'll be a useful friendly to test the new players in.

Sorry for having an opinion....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Originally posted by seansouth
    Sorry for having an opinion....

So you should be! :p

It'll be a good game, a chance for Kerr to give some of the young lads a run out.

Oh and it's in Amsterdam! Sweeet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

My last trip to holland to see Ireland play was a good larf, time to get the passport ready again :)

seansouth - Cop on, do you expect us to scrap friendlies and throw Andy Reid and Liam Miller in agianst the French?
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Originally posted by knobbles

1 Brazil
    2 France
    3 Spain
    4 Netherlands
    5 Mexico
    6 Czech Republic
    - England
    - Argentina
    9 Turkey
    10 Germany

How the F*ck are Holland 4th in the world?:confused:
    How are these things calculated?

Originally posted by Gillie
    How the F*ck are Holland 4th in the world?:confused:
    How are these things calculated?
    I am starting to stop caring about these rankings. We drew with the No.1 team in the world and dropped 4/5 points, ridiculous.

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    seansouth - Cop on, do you expect us to scrap friendlies and throw Andy Reid and Liam Miller in agianst the French?
    :rolleyes:

Any I suppose you think playing in a meaningless friendly will properly prepare them for a fully competitive match?

These type of games do not help the player, they'd be much better off with a squad get together.

As I said on the occasion of the Brazil friendly - what will people say if a player gets injured in a useless friendly and cannot play against the French?

"Ah sure, he played against one of the top teams in the world, isn't he great"

Question - would you rather players played in this game and ran the risk of injuries, or in a game against one of the so called minnows in our group later in the year, or next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

You do realise that the players have to play for their clubs anyway and run the risk of injury week in week out?

You think that playing a match against a good team is a bad idea?

Playing matches, whether they are competitive or friendly is good for a player, especially the young lads who need the experience.

Or prehaps you think the squad playing a couple of 5-a-sides against each other is a good way for the Irish team to progress?

Originally posted by seansouth
    Question - would you rather players played in this game and ran the risk of injuries, or in a game against one of the so called minnows in our group later in the year, or next year?
    What a ridiculous question. Of course i would prefer a player to play in a friendly and risk injury rather than throw them into a competitive game. Don't you think if all the managers were afraid a player would get injured, there would be no such thing as frendlies? I really can't believe what you are saying and am actually shocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭thesecret7

remember at times like this when we know were going to get draws and scrappy results what the whole supporting ireland thing is about... going over somewhere to get pissed and have a good laugh, even when u loose.

seriously though.. how is Spain 3rd? they have some national complex that stops them EVER winning anything. We should be doing a lot better than we are.

Its going to be a good chance to try new players and new formations, the dutch will be trying a bit too as there going to Portugal (thanks mc carthy) so it should be bit of a test. I rather play Holland than the faroe islands and Amsterdam has more attractions :P

Hopefully the french side dont run rings around us after summer... these matches are going to be a true test for Mr Kerr

• Advertisement
Advertisement