Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Request] DVD Player Powercity

• 18-03-2004 9:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭

Looking to get a DVD player probably in Power City. I want to get a good price but with all the features. There were recommendations on these board for a Scott DVD player for 65euro in Power City before Christmas, I don't think they have it anymore so anyone know of a good one they do have now? thanks....

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

What about the Hyundai A320 they have in Dunnes for 59.99 - has composite outputs, digital coax, s-video (i think). Can be made region-free using the remote.

Its very nice, slim, quiet and works very well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

I got my sister a DVD player for Xmas, it was a mitsubishi black diamond one for €79 from powercity....... fantastic value, very slim and plays everything ive tried in it.

DVD, SVCD, VCD, MP3, CD, JPG...... comes with remote, scart lead. I was very impressed, mabye its come down in price a little. Worth every penny IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Originally posted by COL_LOKI
    I got my sister a DVD player for Xmas, it was a mitsubishi black diamond one for €79 from powercity....... fantastic value, very slim and plays everything ive tried in it.

DVD, SVCD, VCD, MP3, CD, JPG...... comes with remote, scart lead. I was very impressed, mabye its come down in price a little. Worth every penny IMO.

my bro got one and it's cool watching gangs of new york on it Region2

it's down to €69 euros now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

my bro got one and it's cool watching gangs of new york on it Region2

Ohh yea i forgot to say its multi-region and plays DVD+R etc ..........€69 nice !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Atreides

I've that DVD player as well, pretty sweet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Sounds good, might get that mitsubishi one so, thanks guys

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

was in power city yesterday bringing back my scott 639 - starting making horrible noises during playback - which was a pity because its a handy piece of kit

anyhow I brought along my verbatim dvd+ and ritek dvd- to check compability

the mitsubishi did play the + but did not play the -

i ended up getting a technika for a staight swap - 59 yo yos - because it played all formats thrown at it, now to look for muliti region hack although this is not a necessary

good value at 59

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It can be worth your while gettting a slightly more expensive DVD players. They are typically better quality and last longer.

For instance the Toshiba SD330E on amazon.co.uk is an excellent DVD palyer at a pretty good price (~€100).

Supports all formats and is multiregion.

The SD330E replaces the SD220E (which I have) and which won the best DVD player of the year in What TV and HiFi magazine in both the entry level and medium level categories !!!!!

BTW It doesn't come with a Scart lead, you will need to get one separate.

BBTW The Dunnes Stores DVD players are crap. My friend has one, really awful, I also hear half of them where returned for being faulty.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Originally posted by bk

BBTW The Dunnes Stores DVD players are crap. My friend has one, really awful, I also hear half of them where returned for being faulty.

Hmm. I know of three Hyundai that are in use and they are all crackers of players. Maybe the other ones (Ronin, Maxim) are dicky but the Hyundai ones are nice, quiet, slim and pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭bobk

Black Diamond BD48 was available in Dixons and ESB shops for €69 (I think, but it could be €59)
    already multiregion, comes with a scart and works great.
    Also has Optical and Coaxial digital outs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭freetoair

Also to add that the Black Diamond BD48 also plays Video CD, is multiregion, plays DVD +R, DVD-R, DVD+RW & DVD-RW. Also works great with MP3s on DVD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

My sister got the Scott DVD player is terrible... sometimes if you hit the scan button when you come back in to play mode the sound is out of sync.

I got the Black Diamond one as a cheep second DVD player to watch DVD's in the bedroom with, and I'm very happy with it's performance. And so far it has played everything I've put into it. - and + R included.

Advertisement