Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB down to a crawl?

• 18-03-2004 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Anyone else having trouble with IBB speed? Its been sluggish for the past few evening but tonite its gone to the dogs altogether. I'm getting between 4 and 8 KBps from their own ftp server (ftp://mon.irishbroadband.ie), i.e. just above dialup speed.

Tried giganews and I get 21 Kbps(small b) which is about half dialup speed!!

I'm on Guinness mast. Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks,
    Colm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

I've been having problems for over a month now, see this thread...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=146025

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I;m on the super cool business equipment, and i've definately noticed a disimprovement over the last few days. Pings are completly unstable, and online games frequently freeze while the ping spikes.

And to think everything was sorted... but besides that, its grand. Speeds are still extremely fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Im on the super cool biz equip as well, and my speeds are through the floor. I don't think its related to Helter's issue. I had hoped it was a general issue (both IOL and clicksilver look like their having a nightmare today) but if Mutant is ok tonite then obviously not :( What transmitter r u on Mutant?

C

Tallaght

Currently downloading at an average of 59kb/sec, and uploading at 35kb/sec (i limited upload to that speed).

ok, cool.

I'll give them a ring in the morning. Does anyone know the procedure for reporting faults to them? Do they have any customer service nos or email addresses? Is there a service page where they might post info? Or do they have a newsgroup (speaking of which, do they have a newsserver?).

Any info re getting support from IBB would be appreciated.

C

• Advertisement

www.irishbroadband.ie contains pretty much all the info you need.

And after glancing through the other thread, i'd just like to add taht i'm also having problems with MSN, but thats it so far.

call them after 8:30am and ask for support. They don't usually respond to emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭uteotw

Yep pings are definitivaly bad for the past couple days and especially tonite.
    Like Mutant I'm on the business equipment and all was fine until now.

Download speed are slightly affected.

Helter : here is my "old" thread about my crap pings before IBB upgraded my equipment.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=124036

uteotw> Are you on 1Mbit connection? I asked for VL equipment and they told me they only give it to Business or Residential Customers with 1 Mbit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

How do you get your download rate from their ftp site? everytime i try to download from there i just end up copying and pasting.

also i'm on the home breeze plus (20:1) package and am experiencing an average of ~18k - ~24k download speeds. Someone pleas tell me this is wrong for the 512k up/down speed.

[edit] downloading getright @ 3.76kb/sec...

• Advertisement

everything seems to be ok my end (touch wood)

Ping statistics for 82.195.131.128:
    Packets: Sent = 68, Received = 68, Lost = 0 (0% loss)
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 28ms, Maximum = 57ms, Average = 32ms

getting fairly solid high rate downloads too. On 3 rock here.

on the ftp site, if you double click one of the sample files, windows tries to open it and then offers a normal save as/transfer window where you can see the download speed.

Things imrpoved slightly this morning - still dreadful on giga but improved on their own website (around 40KB). What is going on here i wonder? I sent an email to support and got a ticket number in reply so we'll see if that goes anywhere.

C

Does anybody have a copy of the IBB contract? If so could they scan it and post it here. I want to see where I stand on getting out of this contract.

Yes i'm looking that way too helterskelter. I have been downloading the 10meg iso at 16.8kb/sec. here is the summary of a ping i did to my gateway before i started the download.

Ping statistics for ***.***.***.***:
    Packets: Sent = 80, Received = 76, Lost = 4 (5% loss),
    Minimum = 11ms, Maximum = 763ms, Average = 102ms

I don't know a lot about the service i should be recieving, if anyone on the 20:1 home breeze plus package knows what the standard level of service is could they post them here, but i'm fairly sure that a ping of 102ms to my gateway is wrong.

going to email them, i'm sick of being put on hold pretty much every time i phone

Originally posted by Q_Ball
    Yes i'm looking that way too helterskelter. I have been downloading the 10meg iso at 16.8kb/sec. here is the summary of a ping i did to my gateway before i started the download.

Ping statistics for ***.***.***.***:
    Packets: Sent = 80, Received = 76, Lost = 4 (5% loss),
    Minimum = 11ms, Maximum = 763ms, Average = 102ms

I don't know a lot about the service i should be recieving, if anyone on the 20:1 home breeze plus package knows what the standard level of service is could they post them here, but i'm fairly sure that a ping of 102ms to my gateway is wrong.

going to email them, i'm sick of being put on hold pretty much every time i phone

Well you definitely should not be getting packet loss, and I would expect lower pings on your package. I mean, ffs, you can get better than that on dial-up!

I'm on the 8:1 and I'm getting the same and worse at times. A week or so ago I was getting pings of 1000ms+!! I don't care too much about pings though, it's the download speeds that are pissing me off. I was getting 10KB/s last night.

The way I look at it is that I know people on IOL who are getting a much better service, and that is(was) 48:1 contention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Looks like a transit capacity issue.

Anyone know how long it takes to get an acknowledgement from them for an email i sent to tech support?

as little as a few hours, to as much as 5 years.

Helter : yes I'm 1Mbit... I'm a download freak ! I had to get in contact frequently with them to eventually get something done.

Today the pings are still dodgy for me.... above 100ms up to 300ms... so no gaming when it use to be rock solid at 19ms or even less since they fixed my connection.

Q_Ball : As Mutant says it can be quite "fast" (the next day) or simply never !
    So if you have problem you'd better ring them, prepare your arguments such as the contract does says this... or that, my download speed is worse than my contention ratio, the bad pings affect the download speed to a point that surfing the web cannot be called broadband when it's slower than dial-up...etc... , stay polite, make sure you take the full name of the person you're talking to everytime, if they says they will call you back then ask Who and When. Keep a log of conversations, actions and results in an email thread. Before calling them back send them an email the evening before the call, then call back the morning after and ask for an update. After a call email them and says that you'll be waiting to what they commited. Keeping trace in an email will help you build your case.

Well that's it, they were on to me today and said they can't fix the problem. They are going to contact me next week to arrange de-installing it.

Has this happened to anyone else?

• Advertisement

yup, thats happened before. As far as i know, not all their towers support the VL equipment, so you might be unlucky in that respect, but it could just be that they don't want to give you the VL equipment, its hard to know.

Looks like you're going to have to go with a new provider :-(

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    yup, thats happened before. As far as i know, not all their towers support the VL equipment, so you might be unlucky in that respect, but it could just be that they don't want to give you the VL equipment, its hard to know.

Looks like you're going to have to go with a new provider :-(

Do you know if anyone else got any kind of refund? It's gonna cost me 80 yo-yos to get IOL to install their product. I reckon IBB should cover this and also refund me for the last month.

Helter : sorry to hear that. I'm not sure you can do much.... may be an email to ComReg http://www.odtr.ie/consumer/default.asp?S=3&NavID=34&M=False but don't hope for much.

Today, pings seems back to normal for me.

they definately will not pay for your new providers install fee, but you can probably expect a refund on the installation, if you don;t get at least that, you should kick up hell.

they definately will not pay for your new providers install fee, but you can probably expect a refund on the installation, if you don;t get at least that, you should kick up hell.

Actually it would be cheaper for them to pay the IOL installation rather than give me back the install fee I gave them.

Well to cut a long story short, they couldn't fix the problem. So after a bit of haggling I got a refund for 3 months.

Applied for IOL BB, hope they can provide a better service, though judging by the posts here recently, I'm not very optimistic!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Deacon Blues

Terms and conditions are available from their website here .

Advertisement