Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petition to Bertie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

I'd say more people could do with signing this if there is going to be the slightest chance of avioding bloodshed by doing so.

It's very shocking that immunity is even an option.

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

i would like to see one instance of where a online petition achieved something
    as i don't believe it has ever happened

Well that's the sad reality of it. I will still sign a petition if it has the slightest chance of stopping bloodshed.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Online petititions aren't worth the paper they're not printed on.

Go round your constituency, get a thousand real people to sign their real names to a piece of paper saying what's contained in the petition (or better still, that they won't vote FF in the local elections if he ignores it) and you might achieve something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Lord Dufay

it certainly can't do any harm to sign the petition. In an age where the average joe gets increasingly little respect from the elected, one has to seek out other mediums from which to be heard. While i agree that online petitions aren't the best way to get heard - at least it's a start.

• Advertisement

At the very least it might indicate to people that it is an issue. Door to door petitioning is cetainly a good way to go but then you are an active terrorist in the eyes of the US government.

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 krom kruak

To: An Taoiseach, Bertie Ahern.
    We, the undersigned, implore you to deny George W Bush and his cabal (adminstration) diplomatic immunity for his forthcoming visit to Ireland for the EU/US Summit in June. Ireland should not give an already trigger-happy army permission to kill Irish citizens during protests or cart them off to the concentration camp in Cuba.

Childish and immature use of words, seems like the junior cert boys have been let loose in the computer lab again.

Originally posted by krom kruak
    Childish and immature use of words, seems like the junior cert boys have been let loose in the computer lab again.

That "letter" to Bertie seems to hit the nail on the head actually. I think the immature side to it is the Bush administration.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

TBH Internet Petitions are not worth the paper they are written on.

If you feel strongly enough about something the best way to deal with it is to write to your local TD's by snail mail getting as many people as possible to do the same. Then they will take some notice. However Bertie is not going to stand down from this invitation, it would mean him losing too much face in front of his master George Jnr.

Unfortunately this visit will paint a bigger target sign on Ireland for the extremists.

Gandalf.

Yes, all that's true Gandalf. Couldn't argue with you there. You know it was Bush that invited himself and not Bertie inviting Bush. Apologies if that is what you meant. I don't think Bertie would give a crap anyway if TDs came to him saying they got a whole load of letters because, as you said, Bertie doesn't have the balls.

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Bush is coming here, he is head of state of one of our neighbours, he is a visiting dignitary and will be granted all the appropriate respect he (as head of any other nation) deserves.

I am glad he is coming, the US puts money in many an irish worker and emigrants pockets, most of us have family ties over there, it should serve to strengthen our relations.

He is not visiting as a war monger, remember that please, would you protest at any visiting govt member from the USA? regardless of what the underlying support he may recieve from us-irish voters, he is still visiting here and is our nations guest.

Please realise, that just because it is requested (immunity), doesnt meant they will get it. There is no way under the sun that his security will have diplomatic immunity, that is for sure, the govt here wouldnt risk it, the US security forces request this whenever their head of state visits a foreign country, they are always in overkill mode, they are chancing their arms as usual, in truth its a rare occasion when they would recieve it. They know that, and we know that.

They will be allowed carry sidearms and other weapons for his protection, we will be providing shadow or perimeter security, however if one of his security shoots an innocent bystander, they will have reparations to pay. They are armed quite simply because they are best at being his guards, that is there job, its what theyre trained for.

The way this plays out is... the US airforce and UK airforces (we dont have any kind of means of securing our airspace properly) will back up our security forces (who will probably have high ranking us security personell liasing to organise security plans) who will back up his personal guard.

Online Petition = waste of time and pure laziness, you want to make a point, get off your ar*e and go walking door to door then contact your local reps.Otherwise dont waste bandwidth with useless suggestions.

I don't think any of this is useless. Bush is bringing 700 armed security personell with him. How that is a good thing, I don't know.

Nick

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

its a good thing because we dont have the proper security staff trained in the manner his are that we could safely say he will be fine with our own gardai and army looking after him.

By the way, i hope you dont think that 700 equates to 700 armed guards?? :rolleyes:

its 700 including chefs, cadre staff, his personal assistants, security liason officers, intelligence officers, pilots drivers, etc.

Originally posted by Morphéus
    its a good thing because we dont have the proper security staff trained in the manner his are that we could safely say he will be fine with our own gardai and army looking after him.

By the way, i hope you dont think that 700 equates to 700 armed guards?? :rolleyes:

its 700 including chefs, cadre staff, his personal assistants, security liason officers, intelligence officers, pilots drivers, etc.

Apologies, my bad. David, on Agenda yesterday, said the secutiry forces numbered 700. I'll check it out later today once I'm back in the office.

Nick

Advertisement