Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Parents angered by book about gay princes

Options
  • 19-03-2004 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭

http://us.cnn.com/2004/EDUCATION/03/18/gay.princes.ap/index.html

WILMINGTON, North Carolina (AP) -- The parents of an elementary school pupil are fuming over the book their daughter brought home from the school library: a children's story about a prince whose true love turns out to be another prince.

Michael Hartsell said he and his wife, Tonya, couldn't believe it when Prince Bertie, the leading character in "King & King," waves off a bevy of eligible princes before falling for Prince Lee.

The book ends with the princes marrying and sharing a kiss.

"I was flabbergasted," Hartsell said. "My child is not old enough to understand something like that, especially when it is not in our beliefs."

The 32-page book by Linda De Haan and Stern Nijland was published in March 2002 by Tricycle Press, the children's division of Ten Speed Press of Berkeley, California. A follow-up, "King & King & Family," was recently published.

The publisher's Web site lists the books as intended for readers age 6 and up.

Barbara Hawley, librarian and media coordinator at Freeman Elementary School, said the book has been on the library's shelves since early last year.

"What might be inappropriate for one family, in another family is a totally acceptable thing," said Elizabeth Miars, Freeman's principal.

Hawley said she couldn't comment on the book because she hadn't seen it. She declined to say whether she knowingly selected a book on gay marriage.

The Hartsells said they are keeping the book until they get assurances it won't be circulated. But Hawley said all county schools have a committee that reviews books after their appropriateness is questioned, and the Hartsells must make a written complaint and return the book for review.

The Hartsells said they intend to file such a complaint and are considering transferring their daughter.

You can buy the book here.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I had to laugh at what the father said:

"I was flabbergasted," Hartsell said. "My child is not old enough to understand something like that, especially when it is not in our beliefs."

... So they don't believe in me, is that the case? Goddamn, so I'm made up all along? Blast! I reckon I'll vanish after this post...With a puff. Or, maybe a poof.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

what's amusing is the son probably undertands the idea of true love better than his father. what the hell is there to 'understand' anyway, christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I think what he meant to say was more along the lines of "not old enough to be introduced to concepts that I haven't already prejudiced her towards", don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Well Gay / lesbian/bisexual matters is something that could confuse a 6 year old(but it seems to have confused the father more :eek: .

I dont realy know about this one i just think a 6 year old is too young to get the concept of Gay (im probably wrong but hey )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Mightn't that be for the best though? I mean, categorizing something leads to thinking of it as different and seperate, and that leads to people thinking it's not right, or something similar. It would be all the same to a child, with no reason to single any particular behaviour out. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't that close to what gay rights activists try to achieve?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I suppose thats what them activists try to achieve .
    The reason im not sure is probably casue im not gay.

Im just trying to give my point of view (which is probably similiar to a lot of hetrosexual people)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by Big Ears
    Well Gay / lesbian/bisexual matters is something that could confuse a 6 year old

But everything confuses a 6 year old. And then you help educate them and explain to them. Same goes here. Teaching them at an early age is probably a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭boomdogman

Never confused my niece who is now 4. She told me she liked having two uncles. .......But then her parents were not obsessed with having her prejudiced against gay people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by Sarky
    I think what he meant to say was more along the lines of "not old enough to be introduced to concepts that I haven't already prejudiced her towards", don't you?

Thats the thing about children, you can't lie to them, they see the truth without all the crap. Beside I think its jsut another case of parents blaming the world(in this case the school) for their personal failings a parents. They should be thank full their child is able to read instead of hassling her about the subject, its not like a book will turn her gay, but it might open her eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Update:

N.C. School Locks Up Book About Gay Prince
    Parents Complained About Book

http://www.channeloklahoma.com/news/2955579/detail.html

POSTED: 12:38 p.m. EST March 28, 2004
    WILMINGTON, N.C. -- A school committee in Wilmington, N.C., has decided to restrict access to a children's book about a prince who falls in love with another prince.

In response to complaints from parents, The book called "King and King" will be locked up at the Freeman Elementary School library and available only to adults.

The parents who initiated the complaint after their first-grader brought the book home say they're satisfied. They say it might be appropriate in certain situations, but not for a first-grader.

The authors, who are from the Netherlands, say they didn't set out to write a controversial book.

School officials say they didn't intentionally order a book with a gay theme.

But one parent on the committee who supports the book says it's about diversity and love, not homosexuality.

• Advertisement
Advertisement