Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sending pictures to email/vodafone.ie

Options
  • 19-03-2004 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

I've just got a new Sony Ericsson T610. I've taken some test pictures and emailed them to my yahoo account. Unfortunately, the mail arrives but there is no picture, or attachment. I've also tried sending it to 087 942 1000, the vodafone.ie number. I sent it 2 hours ago, and the pic has still not reached my vodafone.ie picture inbox.

Do I have to set something up on my phone to enable me to send pictures?

What operator you are with: vodafone
    What type of account you have: Pre-Pay (Billed-Monthly)
    Make / model of handset you are using: sony ericsson T610
    Any error message you get (quote it!): None

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

There is known problems with sending MMS messages to some third party email providers, namely Eircom, Yahoo and Hotmail. This is seemingly to do with their mail server not recognising the formatting or the MMS/picture, I am not 100% however.

My advice would be to register for www.vodafone.ie and register for the email service there. You should have no problems sending your picture messages to that address. This is the only one Vodafone officially supports, its it pretty much hit and miss with some other third party email services.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

If this is your first MMS-enabled phone, I'm presuming you'll have to have your SIM enabled?

I notice you've nearly reached the 2000-mark there JTG. Spammer! :p

I've taken some test pictures and emailed them to my yahoo account. Unfortunately, the mail arrives but there is no picture

This suggests that the MMS has sent, thus he is provisioned, tut ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

I've sent them to vodafone.ie and they've been received.

Super!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭detritus

Hi

I believe its actually down to the mime type of the mms message itself, the Vodafone MMSC (among others) and from my understanding submits the message as a multipart request, see below

Its up to the webmail provider to understand and support this otherwise the whole attachment will get dropped....

Im surprised that larger mail providers havent responded sooner as this is not a problem solely for Vodafone Ireland.

I wonder if O2 or Meteor are similarly affected?

==
    Content-Type: multipart/related; type="application/smil";
    boundary="----=_Part_2830_8355344.1079783411387"; start="<AAAA>"
    X-Mms-Delivery-Report: no
    X-Mms-Delivery-Time: Sat, 20 Mar 04 11:50:11 GMT
    X-Mms-MMS-Version: 1.0
    X-Mms-Message-Class: Personal
    X-Mms-Message-Type: m-send-req
    X-Mms-Message-Size: 18247
    X-Mms-Read-Reply: no
    X-Mms-Sender-Visibility: Show
    X-Mms-Transaction-ID: xxxxxx
    X-Mms-Message-ID: xxxxxxx@mms.vodafone.ie
    X-Priority: 3

t1.txt (0.0 KB)

18-03-04.jpg (17.6 KB)

mms.smil (0.3 KB)
    ==

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I'm on O2 post pay and I've sent photos, gifs, etc via the email client to Hotmail and o2.ie addresses with no problems, so looks like its a Vodafone problem.

Slightly related question; when you create an MMS with pictures, sound and different pages of text etc, and you then send this to a hotmail address, what happens? Does the recipient have to go to the o2.ie website to view it? or does it appear as an animated gif in hotmail? I really couldnt be arsed to spend the 35c to try it out myself...

Advertisement