Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is better

Options
  • 19-03-2004 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭

amd or intel pentium chip....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

it depends on a lot of things

amd is cheaper so thats me sold

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭lad12

Yeah but is this new amd64 bit any good...(if ya can buy it rite now)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

of course it's good.
    what will you be using it for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

The AMD64 is only better if you're accessing huge databases, doing video editing or sound encoding or graphcs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Originally posted by ColmOT [MSFT]
    The AMD64 is only better if you're accessing huge databases, doing video editing or sound encoding or graphcs.

I am probably wrong but isnt Intel better for video editing and sound editing? AMD is better in gaming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

AMD FX-53, 2.2Ghz (64 bit) --> coming very soon

Intel --> The new prescott chip stinks no real advantages over Northwood,

Personally if I had to buy a processor now I'd go with the P4 3.0Ghz (800Mhz FSB), great processor and has gone down in price quite a lot.

Preformance: Intel ---> AMD but its like a ****ing YoYo always changing with the next gen release.

Thanks joePC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Other way around The P4 is better for accessing huge databases, doing video editing or sound encoding, The AMD is well able for this but really shines in Gaming preformance.

Thanks joePC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Originally posted by joePC
    AMD FX-53, 2.2Ghz (64 bit) --> coming very soon

That things gonna be hugely priced. You could prolly get 2 AMD64 3400+'s for the same money. And they are almost as fast as the FX-51. Thats without overclocking.
    Plus it needs special MB and Registered DIMM's again both pricey.

The Northwood P4 is good, prescott is a dog at stock clock speeds, but AMD64 is best atm imo.

AFAIK the only reason not to got down the AMD path atm is that they are changing their cpu pinouts and hence there will be new motherboards out in the next 6 months or so.

Sorry JoePC - but how can a 32-bit processor access more memory than a 64-bit processor!!?

It's the 64bit ones that are better for DBs, and because the word size is larger on the 64bit processors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Without a 64-bit operating system, the A64 operates in 32-bit legacy mode. Because Win64 isn't available yet, this is how most people have been comparing them. With 32-bit software, the A64 tends to beat the P4 in games but not in encoding. But you're right though, running in 64-bit mode the A64 will really shine in databases, video editing and encoding. Early Win64 benchmarks have confirmed this. Just have to wait for MS to get their act together and launch it.

• Advertisement

You can get the beta version of Windows XP 64bit extended edition for AMD64 here
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/downloads/upgrade.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

I only know a couple of things about this.
    AMD barton xp chips are much better than intel at compiling by over a factor of 2.
    On the other hand P4 chips greater than 2 GHz seem to handle games better, im not sure about video editing. considering both cache are same size ( i think - correct meh tech gurus :) ) and since video editing is heavily dependant on fast ram .etc id imagine they would be much of a muchness for that.
    afaik AMD 64 wont help you unless you are using code optomised for 64bit arch, you can do this on linux and other os , but im not sure if you will easily find 64 bit arch exe's, as MrPinK was saying it will run in 32 bit mode anyhow, this thread would be better suited for the tech forums, infact even if you read the tech forum it will probably give you a better indication.

Advertisement