Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDN installation question

Options
  • 19-03-2004 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭

I'm considering getting ISDN installed now since my line is consistently failing the dsl test. My problem is that the existing phone line comes into the house underground and I don't want to bring in another line from the pole or to rip the place asunder to put in the second line. So my question is this: Where exactly does the second line come from? What does the engineer do to get it setup?

Also I've noticed that there are 2 pairs of wires (4 total) where the line enters the house. I think I remember someone saying that eircom install two phonelines when they first put in your line but only have one activated. Is this true or is my mind just playing tricks on me. :dunno:

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

You should be fine. When Eircom run a cable from the road to a house, they always put at least two (and sometimes up to five) pairs in the cable, to save having to run more cable later on if someone orders an extra line.

So, the engineer will simply hook up the second pair at the pole, and run a point from it at the main junction box in your house where the line comes in.

You could also just convert your existing phone line to ISDN - you'll get the benefit of higher speed, a second phone number, and the ability to use the Internet and phone simultaneously, and you can also keep your existing phone number. It will save you having to pay both analogue and ISDN rental charges (an engineer callout is still required to install it). ISDN itself carries both channels over a single pair, so it can work on the same wiring as a normal line.

The final option would be to order a second analogue line and then see if you can get DSL for that. Unfortunately, there are no guarantees, but if the reason the first line failed is due to dodgy wiring rather than being too far from the exchange, it might be worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Negotiator

Thanks Tenshot. Thats great news. I've given up hope of getting dsl, I'm probably too far from the exchange. Good to hear at least that I may be able to get ISDN without tearing the place apart.

Advertisement