Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article]U.S. Unloading WMD in Iraq

Options
  • 19-03-2004 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭

http://www.tehrantimes.com/Description.asp?Da=3/13/2004&Cat=4&Num=011
    The source went on to say that the rest of the weapons were probably transferred in vans to an unknown location somewhere in the vicinity of Basra overnight.

“Most of these weapons are of Eastern European origin and some parts are from the former Soviet Union and the Eastern Bloc. The U.S. obtained them through confiscations during sales of banned arms over the past two decades,” he said.

This action comes as certain U.S. and Western officials have been pointing out the fact that no weapons of mass destruction have been discovered in Iraq and the issue of Saddam’s trial begins to take center stage."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

I hope this is true and they are caught in the act - By by Bush

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

I don't. In America it would be a real boost for Bush if they "found" planted WMD.
    More than likely no one in the US is going to reference this story should that happen. Maybe Palast...on the BBC or Buzzflash.
    Either way the damage will be done and could swing the election for him.
    Then maybe a year later, when he's ****ed up some or other security situation then we might hear about this.
    Too late!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Now THAT is scary. People who can't admit they're wrong? I mean, what difference does it make at this stage? War's over. Saddam's gone. Yeah, the public are a bit miffed, but George and Tony will probably still survive (well, Tony anyway). Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Anyone found a corroborating link from another media source???

I just don't quite find the Tehran Times to be a sufficiently reliable and unbiased source of information that I'd believe an article like that without seeing coverage in some other areas.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Originally posted by bonkey
    Anyone found a corroborating link from another media source???

I just don't quite find the Tehran Times to be a sufficiently reliable and unbiased source of information that I'd believe an article like that without seeing coverage in some other areas.

jc

I don't either but would it be any more convincing from the NYT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

As Sovtek said if this is true then you can be sure the American people won't hear about the truth of it. It will be nicely concealed from public consumption by the media. I would certainly like to know how much of this sort of thing goes on, especially in the last few years.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Isn't this the second time this has happened? I seem to remember a story from about six or eight months ago where a US special forces group got into an inopportune firefight and it turned out they were transporting some bits and pieces that would have looked really good for the US policy of preemptive attacks had they been found in an Iraqi bunker...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

oh my god.
    People questioned the validity of a poll conducted by Oxford research for the BBC and co. Now they seem to accept at face value an article in the Tehran Times!!!
    Ye don't trust news on Fox news so why trust the Tehran Times?
    You don't think they might have an agenda? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

It doesnt matter if its valid or correct or not. The mud has been thrown and people will remember it. Youll see this again and again. It certainly wont get coverage when the story is shown to be claptrap.

Already, the converted are accepting it at face value and using it as a basis to wonder just what other nefarious deeds are going on. Its lies and exaggerations which are deemed believable because of other lies and exaggerations from the past. It wont belong before theres stories of coalition troops selling Iraqi kids into slavery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Bit of a strawman there Sand.

It's the only story I have seen so far on it, and it quotes unnamed sources, in others words 99.9% chance of bull****.

But the issue isn't with the story, its that people would be more willing to believe that story over anything the US finds.

Of course I was betting he would pull OBL or WMD out of his ass just in time for the election process.

I would be more open to an independant publication than to a government controlled one like the NYT. The US has too much at stake to allow for accurate reporting so hence the censorship of the press. Do you know that shortly after the war on terror started the New York Times, and many other publications, were given a directive to play down enemy casualties? This is propaganda and censorship.

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Originally posted by daveirl
    What planet are you from? The NYT is independent! All the media in the States is. Any censorship that is imposed is pretty much self inflicted. Fair enough the government in war time might make special requests, but that doesn't count as a directive.

The New York Times in infinitely more reliable than the Tehran Times. You'd want to be mental to think otherwise.

Well I must be mental then :)

Originally posted by bonkey

jc
    Rofl :D
    Originally posted by sovtek
    I don't either but would it be any more convincing from the NYT?
    I'm with daveirl on this one, the nyt is very independent and a great reliable read.
    I've enjoyed reading it in all its bulky real life sections in the mayrose diner off Broadway over copious quantities of coffee, scrambled eggs and toast and hash browns many times.

I would like to see the NYT cover similiar stories like this one:here. I feel that this kind of reporting would inform the people of the US about the other side of the story that we hear so little about.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Originally posted by Sparks
    Isn't this the second time this has happened? I seem to remember a story from about six or eight months ago where a US special forces group got into an inopportune firefight and it turned out they were transporting some bits and pieces that would have looked really good for the US policy of preemptive attacks had they been found in an Iraqi bunker...

Yeah, I thought I remembered this alright. From last year:

http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2003/06/266752.shtml
    http://www.libertyforum.org/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=news_international&Number=804485&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1&t=-1
    http://www.gulfwarvets.com/news13.htm

One would like to hope that news like that would be treated properly, i.e. made very public. This act alone is enough to show that there are some serious issues that need to be addressed with the war on terror.

Nick

Advertisement