Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outkast

Options
  • 19-03-2004 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭

Eh, I don't know if this has been discused b4, but anywho... Whats your opinions on their new album. Its the first one ive bought on hearing just one song (hey ya!) in a long time.
    I was a tad bit scared, cos im not a huge fan of hip hop, rap etc, but when I heard the love below I thought "wait a minute! this is cool". Its not what I expected, and I cant really place the genre. Is it funk? Funk fusion? Hip hop funk fusion? Neway, I still havnt gotten round to the other half of the album, speakerboxxx, cos its got names like jay z on it and i think i gotta prepare myself first.

To get to my point, am I the only person who thinks that these chaps have done something great for music?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

This album is class, as is all their output to date.. go buy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

"these chaps have done something great for music?"

By that do you mean made a good album? If not, I think you may be exaggerating. And, if you have only listened to "The Love Below" then it's not really "chaps" you owe your enjoyment to, as both discs are pretty much solo releases, with a fair amount of collaborations. Andre 3000, the gent. in the "Hey Ya" video, is the one responsible for "The Love Below".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Originally posted by goo

By that do you mean made a good album?

No, by that I mean they made a great album.

I am aware that andre is responsable for the vast majority of the love below, but big boi obviously helped on certain parts of his album, as did andre on speakerboxxx.

I have gotten round to listening to speakerboxxx and although it has names like jay z on it (a person whos music wudnt really appeal to me), I liked it and I stand by my statement.

Understand this goo, I myself (and the vast majority of the people I know) genearlly listen to rock, classical and jazz. If Outkast can help us broaden our musical horizons, then I do believe they have done sumthing great for music.

Consider it understood, Mr. Dramatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

I've only heard the singles so am only in a position to speak on those.

I thought Hey Ya! was quite cool but the Big Boi singlge 'the way you move' was really kinda annoying.

Anybody who has listened to more than half give us a mini-review?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Originally posted by goo
    Consider it understood, Mr. Dramatic.

Ah, sorry man. Wen i start talkin bout sumtin I really like I dont know wen to shut up. :)

I sounded like a hurt teenager there, sorry about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

its all about ATLiens came out in 96 or 97 ish... exuberant fun party hip hop a la the pharcyde [whose first album bizarre ride to the pharcyde is also well worth getting.]

frequent outkast collaborators Goodie Mob are also well worth checking out, the "soul food" album is a timeless classic of soulful marvin-gaye-whats-going-on type hip hop, sort of more earnest but still with a sense of humour in the right place if you know what i mean...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mrwyoming

it's a magical double cd... i bought it over christmas and would still venture a listen pretty much daily. admittedly as with a few others in this post i was never one to jump on the hip hop wagon - so the love below was the first of the two cds to catch my attention... it really is something magic, the fusion of styles is quite extraordinary. but after a while the lure of speakerboxx becomes quite apparent... it's bloody good fun. big boi's speakerboxx cd is as experimental and fresh as Andre's, and it's mighty uplifting... try songs like the rooster, bowtie.. and church. just good fun, really. it's a pity he has so many of those blasted 1minute filler skits though, and that would be my only issue with his cd. but reallly and truly: give it a chance.

Advertisement