Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorbike Tyres

Options
  • 19-03-2004 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what other people out there put their trust into.

I drive a Honda RVF 400R with tyres "Michelion Pilot Sports" E270 incluing fitting, balancing etc from The Bike Tyre Co.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

hmm.. Michelin commander I think. Yes, that looks about right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Running (or was running before i decided to replace half the bike) an RVF400 with bridgestone battleax 090's, sticks like glue. Altho, budget wise, the avon's are supposed to be the best for your single side armed friend.....

Course, if you wanna get the best of the best, pirelli corsa evo's.......which will cost you a kidney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Aidanm

Replaced Michelin Pilot sports on my ZX6-R with battlax 010's
    Muchos better!

I recommend http://www.motorbike-tyres.com/
    They deliver to ireland for £20, saved me a packet!

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Eye

well when i initially bought my 650 dragstar it had a set of Dunlop tyres on it, they were pretty good, nice handling but only lasted about 7k miles, after going to 4 bike shops nobody could get me the same set of dunlops again for it for some unkown reason so i changed em to a set of Michelin Commanders, these were not so good, they lasted about 10k so good for mileage but was never completely happy with the handling of it with those tyres, dunno why but got through it okay in the end. The set of tyres i am currently on are a set of Avon Venoms, excellent tyres very good handling, much better handling from them over the Michelin tyres and mileage is awesome, have just over 10k on these tyres so far and still have loads of thread left, can see them lasting another 5k easily.

Even though i got a dragstar which is a cruiser and not sporting machine i do still drive it pretty hard coz i got the power under my ass so it's not as if i am easy on the tyre's.

In closing i can definetly recommend Avon Venoms to pretty much anyone, i'm told they work well on sports bikes too, for mileage i don't think they can be beaten :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I'm running Pilot Sports on my SV1000.
    I wish it would cost €270 for my set.. Closer to €370 from the bike tyre company (180/55).

Got them alot cheaper from Advance Pitstop though..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Generally stick to what the manufacturer recommends. On my blackbird it was BT 020 (bird specfic). I used the Avon Azaro - which is now also recommended. Typically its grip versus life expectancy of the tyre. Buy according to what you need.

You cannot fit a XXX tyre cos it works well on your buddies bike. Each bike is very different. Find people that ride the same bike and get info.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

nice bit of info there eye. I've a 650 drag star on Michelin commanders too. Noticed a handling difference from the original Dunlops. For my next bike (which will hopefully be mine by the end of the month) I think Metzeler 880's are the boot of choice. Have to consult with the current owner. Been hearing lots of good things about the Avon Venom, might check out pricing on these as an alternative to the not yet fitted Metz 880's

Advertisement