Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ClickSilver ..just died...again !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

yeah went but it reconnected straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Yeah, gone for me too. I'm sick of this crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Aepos

Got home at 5pm. Checked for any emails from utv re. recent problems...No replies...suprise suprise.

System has gone off 5 times since then. In my stupid innocence I thought, hey ho they might be a sign that UTV or whoever are fixing things........Big mistake speeds up and down like a yo yo again.

Ah well I'll watch a DVD instead of annoying myself with this carry on....

Have a good evening

Bye A

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Maybe UTV cant get on here to apologise for the appalling service because they use their own service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by rymus
    **** utv, **** their God awful service and **** their attitude towards their customers. As soon as I can, I'm off

OMG !! How dare you complain about utv on these boards :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

i dont think the utv management would have the guts to post here for a long time untill the serivice is back working properly and improved with proper stability, speeds and pings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Originally posted by Gonzo
    i dont think the utv management would have the guts to post here for a long time untill the serivice is back working properly and improved with proper stability, speeds and pings.

So your saying we won't hear from them again ?:D :D

I really dont beleive this,

I just got an email from UTV support referring to a complaint about poor service dated 18 March, The 3 subsequent complaints totally ignored.

""I have checked your account and see that things are workign for you after speaking to Ed in support.

Can you confirm this so I can close the ticket off.""

How can they check if things are OK without contacting me?

My reply was rapid and lengthy and I tried to not use bad language.

These folks are on a planet other than this one I'm afraid.

A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

i, for one, have not had a single problem with UTV....

Originally posted by NeoSlicerZ

You neglected to inform us if you are actually a customer of UTV?

I dont think anybody has had a `single`problem with UTV they have had LOADS!

• Advertisement

Well you should consider yourself very lucky indeed.

I am at present waiting approx 30 secs for any page to load and the UTV speed test fails to load at all, Giganews gives me speeds dropping to 2kbps.

It does not give me great pleasure having to moan like hell on boards about utv but unfortunately they dont respond to emails or phone calls in a way which inspires confidence in them or their company.

A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Originally posted by NeoSlicerZ

You for one must be the only one :)

Well I'm sure UTV will be happy with your custom when all the others decide to drop them (decide? hmm they have already decided from the looks of this board).

X

Originally posted by Aepos
    I really dont beleive this,

I just got an email from UTV support referring to a complaint about poor service dated 18 March, The 3 subsequent complaints totally ignored.

""I have checked your account and see that things are workign for you after speaking to Ed in support.

Can you confirm this so I can close the ticket off.""

How can they check if things are OK without contacting me?

My reply was rapid and lengthy and I tried to not use bad language.

These folks are on a planet other than this one I'm afraid.

A

I wonder who this mysterious Ed character is? Seems to know everything!!!!!:D

Can you imagine the outcry on here if Eircom issued replies like that?

And to think that not so long ago UTV´s customer service was legendary and in fact was the reason that most of the first Clicksilver customers were so anxious to go with UTV.:( What a complete turn around!!!

Where is MALCOM now I ask?

A

Where is MALCOM now I ask?

A

Ask Ed in support! :mad:

Nice one!

Hey Ed, Where is Malcom? People on Boards.ie are looking for him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Nice one!

he's gone to Asda with Ed to buy 'broadband isp setup for dummies 2nd edition' lol...

ok maybe thats a bit harsh:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Malcolm

Nice one!

I am still here and am aware of the on-going discussions within these forums.

We have been concentrating on getting our infrastructure providers to implement changes which will resolve the problems affecting our service. We have made progress and we will keep you informed with developments as soon as we can.

Malcolm Thompson
    UTV Internet

Originally posted by Malcolm

We have been concentrating on getting our infrastructure providers to implement changes which will resolve the problems affecting our service. We have made progress and we will keep you informed with developments as soon as we can.

Malcolm Thompson
    UTV Internet

Typical Irish company. Don't fix the problem till it's biting at our arse. Surely with all the wisdom possessed by UTV Internet the problem could have been identified before it reached this state and fixed before it caused mass disruptions...

I am so sick of companies blaming their "infrastructure providers". You choose the infrastructure providers... so if they screw up then it's your bad judgement. You are the company which people buy BB off not your infrastructure providers. It is your problem.

If you can't make arrangements with your providers to give you reliable services then maybe you shouldn't be offering broadband it is as simple as that.

I am not a UTV subscriber, for that fact I will be forever greatful... but if I was I would be at this momement writing a letter to your sales department stating my intentions to dissolve the contract based on your continuing breaches of the Sales of Goods and Supply of Services Act and probably Consumer Information Act for failure to adequately live up to the advertising (online advertising is given the same recognition by current consumer law)

"Now not only can you avail of our supremely fast, 24/7 always-on connection, but things JUST GOT BETTER! "

That statement is clearly false. Consumer law allows the provider reasonable enough time to remedy the situation which you have had. However as many here will tell you their service is still not of "merchantable quality"

What people in UTV seem to forget is that signing a 12 month contract does not mean the company has the right to provide shoddy services and then turn around when a person wants to cancel it and say, "Oh but you have signed a 12 month contract".

I would encourage all UTV subscribers who are not receiving reliable service to send a letter to UTV asking to dissolve the contract. Then stop DD payments by contacting your bank. I don't believe in the current position with the amount of people having problems with their service UTV could do anything but agree to disolve the contract.

X

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Malcolm Thompson
    UTV Internet

Malcom,

Can you give us some idea when you expect to have 'normal' service resumed ?

I don't have a good feeling that it is going to be anytime soon... I have signed up for your service and awaiting connection and I am sure there are lots of people in the same boat wondering if they have may the right decision or not given what we are seeing on these forums.

Personally I will wait and see .... but utv needs to be able to provide the service it advertises or it will loose alot of customers ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

Malcolm Thompson
    UTV Internet

I am a recent new subscriber to Clicksilver. While I have not experienced the frequent service outages, that others have reported, I find the servive very poor indeed, with inability to access certain sites.

My point is this:
    Eircom, IOL, and UTV all have the same connection from the telephone exchange to the customer's modem, so any difference in quality of service cannot be blamed on Eircom. Therefore it's a problem with UTV's own network, and whoever they have contracted to provide that network. It is of no concern to any UTV customer whether or not it's a "3rd party" problem. It is the responsibility of UTV to provide the service for which the customer has paid, irrespective of the source of the problem. It is unacceptable for UTV to blame an unknown, unseen provider, and then apparently wash their hands of any obligation to the customer.

If I buy a car, and the paint falls off, the dealer cannot just blame the company the makes the paint, he must rectify the problem, by whatever means necessary.

We have been concentrating on getting our infrastructure providers to implement changes which will resolve the problems affecting our service.

As your customers, we really don't care what problems you are having. We paid you for a service, you are not providing it, so either fix the problem, or give us our money back. If your current infrastructure provider is not doing the job, get a new one.

I hope you will continue to participate in this discussion.

Ro

UTV Internet has been trying to resolve the issues some customers have experienced with our broadband service. Unfortunately the resolution has not been as quick as we would like as we have been delayed by a mixture of exchange and backhaul problems. We treat any outage of our service most seriously and are fully committed to getting service levels back as quickly as possible.

As an insight into the difficulties we are experiencing in fault finding and troubleshooting, today we received notification of planned outages across 13 broadband exchanges which will occur this week. 6 of these outages have already taken place and we have been treating them as infrastructure failures and trying to resolve them. As you can appreciate this makes it inherently difficult to pinpoint faults and put in place resolutions.

I hope to provide further information later today.

Malcolm

today we received notification of planned outages across 13 broadband exchanges which will occur this week. 6 of these outages have already taken place and we have been treating them as infrastructure failures and trying to resolve them.

Maybe im picking this up wrong but how come these outages dont effect eircom, netsource users on same exchanges then? 6 outages already this week and no-one using eircom,iol, netsource have been moaning about outages, just the unfortunate utv subscribers every time. If an exchange has an outage everyone on those exchanges regardless of provider would be left with nothing for a few hours.

UTV Internet has been trying to resolve the issues some customers have experienced with our broadband service. Unfortunately the resolution has not been as quick as we would like as we have been delayed by a mixture of exchange and backhaul problems. We treat any outage of our service most seriously and are fully committed to getting service levels back as quickly as possible.

As an insight into the difficulties we are experiencing in fault finding and troubleshooting, today we received notification of planned outages across 13 broadband exchanges which will occur this week. 6 of these outages have already taken place and we have been treating them as infrastructure failures and trying to resolve them. As you can appreciate this makes it inherently difficult to pinpoint faults and put in place resolutions.

I hope to provide further information later today.

Malcolm

Malcolm surely to God it is up to UTV to ensure that there is proper liason between yourselves and whoever carries out maintenace/uprgrading? What your post essentially says to us is that utv have not got a clue what is going on? Surely it would occur to your ´unrivalled technical support´ to routinely check on a weekly basis if there is any planned upgrading/maintenance? And would a pattern of faults not emerge which suggest that only certain exchanges were being affected which might cause you to check if maintenance was being carried out?

And even this lack of liason nonsense does not in any way explain the ongoing poor service and lack of communication with your customers.

The only insight in your post is that utv have not got a clue whats going on and don´t consider it worthwhile to keep their customers in the loop.

You have made no mention of the problems UTV have been having since the beginning of the year.

Are UTV going to be giving their customers any refunds in recogntion of this appalling service?

And what about those of us who were the first customers of Clicksilver still stuck on the inflated prices unless we sign up for another 12 months.

UTV want us to appreciate your difficulties but what about you appreciating the fact that you are not providing a proper service and for lots of the time appear oblivious to the fact. Do you consider this type of reply appropriate for instance:
    Ed appears!

You have not given any mention as to why people are left hanging on the support line for up to 30 minutes for basically no information? Do you consider that satisfactory?

Andwhy did it take ridiculing UTV on here before you decided to reply to the ongoing questions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭geecee

Originally posted by Xcellor

I would encourage all UTV subscribers who are not receiving reliable service to send a letter to UTV asking to dissolve the contract. Then stop DD payments by contacting your bank. I don't believe in the current position with the amount of people having problems with their service UTV could do anything but agree to disolve the contract.

X

Hi Xcellor
    Unfortunately it is not that easy to cancel the Broadband for us UTV customers.

Don't forget we have all already paid €99 connection fee and would have no hope of getting that back if the DD was cancelled.

On top of that there is the BB disconnection fee which would need to be paid to Eircon.

I'm not happy with my clicksilver service so far....
    1. 2x 5 hour+ disconnections in the last 8 days!... Still that helps me keep my cap down!
    2.No way of telling how much bandwidth I have actually used (installed DUmeter a few days after starting to use clicksilver)
    3. And a mail to tech support snet Monday and resent Wed still not replied to

But with the investment I have already made and the delay which would be involved in cancelling UTV and getting one of the other sto provision BB to me... I'm afraid I'm stuck with them!

Please see below the information received:

Schedule of work outlined below:

Sites Proposed date
    Limerick 24/03/04 07.00am
    Beggars Bush 25/03/04 Before 8.45am
    Blanchardstown 25/03/04 Before 8.45am
    Cork Central 25/03/04 07.00am
    Foxrock 26/03/04 Before 8.45am
    GALWAY 26/03/04 07.00am
    Shantalla 29/03/04 07.00am
    Merrion 30/03/04 Before 8.45am
    North Main 30/03/04 Before 8.45am
    Nutley 31/03/04 Before 8.45am
    Priory Park 31/03/04 Before 8.45am
    Rochestown 01/04/04 Before 8.45am
    Ballyboden 01/04/04 Before 8.45am

It is planned work by eircom on DSL cards and will affect all the customers on that card.

UTV Internet do everything possible to liaise with other providers but we do rely on their information and communication methods which can be frustrating.

Malcolm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

UTV Internet do everything possible to liaise with other providers but we do rely on their information and communication methods which can be frustrating

Well at least you're getting a taste of how your customers feel :mad:

Originally posted by geecee
    Hi Xcellor
    Unfortunately it is not that easy to cancel the Broadband for us UTV customers.

Don't forget we have all already paid €99 connection fee and would have no hope of getting that back if the DD was cancelled.

Yes.. I had overlooked that point since I got on with IOL BB when they had the free installation promotion going.

Still you are entitled to a full refund of the installation fee after all the crap UTV have put you through. It would be very different if it was a freak outage... but this has been ongoing.

UTV need to do something to restore confidence and appease their customers a bit. 1 month free would do it nicely :) Of course the chance of getting that is quite remote nearly as remote as getting good service from UTV ;)

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Please see below the information received:

Schedule of work outlined below:

Sites Proposed date
    Limerick 24/03/04 07.00am
    UTV Internet do everything possible to liaise with other providers but we do rely on their information and communication methods which can be frustrating.

Malcolm

That doesn't tally with the outage I had at 3:45 pm yesterday , and others experienced aswell . Most of the recent outages happened in the evening , where as these seem to all be scheduled in the morning , as I think most of the work is usually done .

And as I'm sitting here writing I might aswell ask , will anyone in UTV "EVER" make a comment on the ping's and recent pkt loss issues ?

John.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

It is planned work by eircom on DSL cards and will affect all the customers on that card.

Again you seem to pin it on Eircom, but why are Eircom and IOL customers not complaining also?

What we are complaining about is the overall poor service, the fact that some websites cannot be viewed without a proxy, the poor ping times, and packet loss problems, and the shoddy attitude to your customers.

Will you please reply with specific reference to these points? This is like interviewing a politician, who is asked a question, and answers it without any reference to what was asked.

OK, let's get this straight: You must liaise with two groups of people - 1. Eircom who provide the link to the customer from the exchange and 2. the people, unnamed and unseen who provide the remainder of your infrastructure and bandwith from the local exchange to wherever.

As has been highlighted here, Eircom are not the cause of the bulk of the problems, since the massive disparity between UTV service deficits, and IOL or Eircom problems. That means that it's a problem with the mysterious third party people. Why do you not get a proper provider, that will provide the proper infrastructure and actually deliver the service for which we have paid?

If you knew all about these problems as you say, why did you allow new customers to sign up to the service. Essentially, you are saying that you sold a service which your company knew to be defective. That strikes me as taking us all for a ride.

Please reply to the specific points raised.

Ro

Advertisement