Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ClickSilver ..just died...again !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 zedsDeadBaby

I am in the hunt for BB at the moment. Was specificly thinking about UTV Clicksilver bi don't like what i'm hearing about UTV or Netsource so far.
    That leaves Eircom or ESAT - Toss a coin. ut Nope. It has to be ESAT at this stage.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Originally posted by Malcolm
    Please see below the information received:

Schedule of work outlined below:

Sites Proposed date
    Limerick 24/03/04 07.00am
    Beggars Bush 25/03/04 Before 8.45am
    Blanchardstown 25/03/04 Before 8.45am
    Cork Central 25/03/04 07.00am
    Foxrock 26/03/04 Before 8.45am
    GALWAY 26/03/04 07.00am
    Shantalla 29/03/04 07.00am
    Merrion 30/03/04 Before 8.45am
    North Main 30/03/04 Before 8.45am
    Nutley 31/03/04 Before 8.45am
    Priory Park 31/03/04 Before 8.45am
    Rochestown 01/04/04 Before 8.45am
    Ballyboden 01/04/04 Before 8.45am

It is planned work by eircom on DSL cards and will affect all the customers on that card.

UTV Internet do everything possible to liaise with other providers but we do rely on their information and communication methods which can be frustrating.

Malcolm

Malcolm,

This excuse of not being informed in time was given in the utv support group a while ago over some outages in the LImerick area. Surely once is enough for this to happen and it was up to you to make sure it did not happen again by screaming at the responsible people?

As has been pointed out in another post all this work appears to be scheduled for during the night and yet the complaints on here of poor service rarely appear to be from insomniacs.

So how is that excuse relevant to outages during the day?

I notice that UTV do not appear to have advised their customers of any of those planned works?

It is very hard not to think that UTV think we are idiots and prepared to put up with any old rubbish

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Originally posted by zedsDeadBaby
    I am in the hunt for BB at the moment. Was specificly thinking about UTV Clicksilver bi don't like what i'm hearing about UTV or Netsource so far.
    That leaves Eircom or ESAT - Toss a coin. ut Nope. It has to be ESAT at this stage.

Why anyone would even think of clicksilver is beyond me, when clicksilver was working to its best it used to be rubbish for gamers now its just rubbish for everyone, and if you can see how rubbish it is thats a positive because half the time you cant connect to clicksilver to see that it really is rubbish, i may sound abit harsh but when people are throwing €30 of their hard earned money per month and more at this im not being difficult. At the moment there should be a public health warning against them to stop poor unsuspecting potential customers signing up to sommet which is advertised as broadband always on better than ever when in reality its not as stable as 56k and often gives speeds under 28k on the offchance that the service is actually running.

Anyone reading this who is about to sign up for broadband I suggest go with IOL for heavy downloading with a good cap and good pings for gamers or go with eircom if you want the best pings possible and an average downloader. Whichever of the two companys you go for your more or less guaranteed full speeds of 50k/sec, rarely any downtimes and kickass gaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Malcolm in the middle... har har har...

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Guess what connection i'm on now ? ...yeah thats right , 56k .

why is my bb not working now ?

i'm sure my dd went through .

John.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

OH MO DHIA!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAGH!!! ITS DEAD AGAIN!!!! :| *runs away screaming*

im...going..insane...

*cough*ahem:dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Aepos

Oh well at least Malcom has made an appearance. So the wheels may be grinding albeit very slowly into action.

My connection is still up and down has and gone off 3 times since 6pm. A pal of my in the Castleknock area is down completely.

So SNAFU.

(Systems normal all f**cked up)

Malcom you have till 31st March till I and a few others walk.

Forgot to mention I got an email from utv today relating to a problem with uploading which I dont have, well I probably do as nothing else works properly, but iI have not made any complaint re. same. interesting that.

Still I did get an email which is nice!!

Ae

Originally posted by Gonzo
    i may sound abit harsh but when people are throwing €30 of their hard earned money per month and more at this im not being difficult

Some of us are throwing nearly 50 euros a month at it remember! that is unless we commit to a new 12 month contract..................................

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭redzer007

another night of frustration,

One thing I dont understand about malcoms post is that he says all people on that exchange will be affected, well guys are you? Can people on other services post and tell us if there connection is or was down? And if so were you informed that you would lost the service between x and x hrs?

I do however have faith in UTV rectifing the problem because if they dont they wont have any customers and Im sure they are aware of this.

Another point is that most people who post on this topic are tech savvy people and with the recent price reductions accross the board in BB costs there will be a lot of people moving to BB in the near future and we are the people that our friends and relatives will be asking about services, pro and cons etc, and as it stands UTV will be at the bottom of that list.

UTV, this is not a threat its just a fact.

It's back for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Unable to connect to Clicksilver since early evening, back on 56k dialup, this is pure ****e AGAIN!!!!!

Not Happy, Not Happy, Not Happy, Not Happy, Not Happy.......................

Hey UTV, how about a free dialup number to use at times like these, you know, just to take the sting out of being charged by the minute to find out what the fcuk is going on AGAIN!!!!

I might add that I've already wasted an hour poking around with my setup to see if it was a fault at my end, but hey, who gives a **** AGAIN!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

I know this may sound daft but do some people have a life away from UTV or whoever. Jazus! There are a few posters here (and elsewhere) who seem to have nothing else to do but play games and complain 24/7?

This thread disturbs be a bit because it is so easily infiltrated.

I am not completely happy with UTV but I also have a gut feeling that the people at UTV are decent guys, doing their best but are being let down by people that they thought to be reliable. But hey! we must be the greatest nation of moaners on the planet.

Maybe it's because I have another life, well many to be honest, that I feel that €30 isn't bad value for the service I'm getting and that for this sad little nation (by that I mean we boast at being one thing and are really another) I can put up with an adventuring company like UTV that is really trying to offer value while the others are so, stereotypically, trying to rip us off, total, money grabbers. The problems that I have had pale into insignificance compared to my life as a 56K user.

There are a few people here that could take an hour to check how that old person down the street is doing!

I don't know but it strikes me as odd that when the world is full of so much injustice, Bush arriving and the Israeli's building a wall in another country that some people have no other purpose in life but to spend it being so negative about something that is so irrelevant in the greater scheme of things.

Imagine a telecoms industry in the hands of a man who couldn't even put a ball in straight to a lineout and everyone blaming ....

FFS give the poor hoors a chance!

Valentia,

Nobody is paying €30 for the service at present, we are all paying €47.50 and I have only had about 6 weeks decent service since last November.

If you want to pay good money for bad products, services, meals or whatever and not complain then thats your right. Others want value for their buck...

Also Bush, Israel, the church etc. are best discussed on other areas of boards dedicated to such matters.

Yes, I am sure that the folks at UTV are thoroughly decent people and I am sure that they will now do there best to sort things out, but that does not excuse the very poor treatment of the customers in the past weeks.

Please don't preach to us on what we should and should not do with our lives or time, you do not have any idea as to what the majority of subscribers to this and other forums do in the way of charitable work, or whatever.

If €47.50 per month is such a small consideration to you , give it to SVP every month instead.

TuBBy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Valentia,

I think i get where you are coming from but to complain that there are more important things in live is missing the point.

This is a "Clicksilver is letting me down" thread.....i mean come on....what do you expect people to talk about????:)

I mean why not go to the Games forumn and complain that those guys haven't got a life past COD or xbox or something or perhaps wander over to the Komplett forumn and watch how people bitch and moan about delivery....

p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,882 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just to throw in my 2 cents...

Was down for me too last night (Blanchardstown - around 8pm and still at about 9:30) and yes, I did do other stuff in between that time but the point is that the service SHOULD be available whenever we want to use it - after all, broadband is defined as an "always on" product, right?.

The OCCASIONAL outage is a fact of life and I don't think anyone here has any problem with that as long as (1) where possible, it's communicated in advance to customers and (2) it takes place during that specified time.

As Neil suggested above, a free dial-up number for those of us who want to be able to get online during these outages - particularly given the frequency and length of them lately - is something UTV should now give serious consideration to.

Also, some sort of compensation to users - be that a partital refund or "free" months, whatever - would go along way to eroding the recent perception that UTV will happily take our money, "force" us into new contracts to avail of savings (but not pass these on until a full month after the other ISPs), but don't want to know when it comes to SOLVING (not making excuses for) the serious issues that seem to plague their network. As a subscriber, I dont CARE if it's an eircom or other "3rd party" problem..I'm paying UTV for the service and I expect them to provide it.

Somehow however I doubt we'll see anything like what I've suggested as temporary workarounds, but worth a try.. Malcolm, how about commenting on THESE points rather than just telling us that it's not your (UTV's) fault???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Kaiser2000
    Also, some sort of compensation to users - be that a partital refund or "free" months, whatever - would go along way to eroding the recent perception that UTV will happily take our money,

I wouldnt hold out much hope for that when they wouldnt even refund me the rental on my account for a month when I wasnt connected due to a change of address. They will happily take our money. If they wouldn't, I'd seriously question their collective sanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Now that the alcohol has nearly cleared my system :dunno:

What I was really trying to say is that I feel uncomfortable with how vitriolic and personal some of the criticism has been. I just think there are other ways of expressing it. I use the net a lot and I haven't felt the same level of frustration, that's all.

Also, I don't see the point of repeating, ad nausium. I feel that the new 12 month contract is unfair. I made that point and don't think repeating it dozens of times will get the cause anywhere. It just gets boring looking at the same arguments being repeated by the same people all the time.

And finally, some of the comments have been totally over the top, in my opinion, and there is a real risk that a public thread like this is open to abuse by other providers to put the boot into UTV while talking up their own service. Non BB users can be seriously influenced as can be seen by some comments here.

I have no proof that this is happening BTW but I thing the mods should be careful that the line of slander isn't crossed.

Sorry for the meandering nature of my prevuois post. I'll abstain in future when I'm skulled :p

Originally posted by Valentia
    I know this may sound daft but do some people have a life away from UTV

SNIP!!

Taking your advice i am trying to organise a " Tree Hugging " afternoon here , sign up if you've nothing else to do .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

I heard some people asking who was the third party that has no name.
    A guy was trying to send me something last night and found out that my ip originated there so considering i'm in the south below dublin its a fair assement that they are the infrastructure provider for UTV.

I just thought i'd post cause people seem to have an interest in who it is

Genesis Project Ltd
    International Trade Centre Belfast
    Interpoint
    20-24 York Street
    Belfast BT15 1AQ
    Northern Ireland

I thought that we all knew who their provider was , Nevadatel ( or whatever they are called now ) .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

My own view on UTV problems, is that they have probably sub-contracted out everything, except billing, and do not have any real infrastructure, or technical department of their own, and as such, all they're concerned with is signing up as many new customers as possible.

When the service deteriorates, as has happened, they are probably not well equiped to rectify the problem, and are dependent on the third party providers to deal with it, and since these people are not directly under pressure form the consumer, the incentive to rectify the problem is not there. I am just speculating about this and apologise if I am wrong.

What we, as UTV customers want is a good service as we have paid for. If UTV would even come out with their hands up and apologise for the poor service, stop blaming Eircom as the reason, and tell us exactly what they are doing to rectify it, and when that will happen, then we would be happy.

As a previous poster has said, most of us are probably the type of person that our friends would ask for advice on broadband. I certainly cannot recommend UTV at the moment. I feel that a goodwill gesture to UTV's existing customers would probably pay big dividends for future business. Remember that UTV do not have the profile, and degree of saturation advertising as Eircom and IOL. From my experience, when I tell people that I have broadband with UTV, they assume it's some sort of cable or satellite service, and are surprised to hear that they sell DSL.

It's good that we have such an active discussion about it, at least.

Ro

Originally posted by Valentia

And finally, some of the comments have been totally over the top, in my opinion, and there is a real risk that a public thread like this is open to abuse by other providers to put the boot into UTV while talking up their own service. Non BB users can be seriously influenced as can be seen by some comments here.

I have no proof that this is happening BTW but I thing the mods should be careful that the line of slander isn't crossed.

The undeniable fact is that if UTV were supplying the service that we are paying them for the thread would not be here.

The level of anger being generated is to do withe the ongoing unreliablility of the Clicksilver service, UTV's complete lack of a satisfactory response to the queries raised here and the poor telephone support service being regularly reported.

Quoting service/maintenace being carried out during the night is one of the most unimpressive excuses I have ever seen on here.

I dont think there is any other service being talked up in this thread. Most of us are only too well aware of the shortcomings of the other ISP's around. And I sincerely hope that non BB users are influnced by threads like this - are you implying that we should censor our criticism which based directly on our experience of the product we are discussing?

For too long UTV have got away with poor service simply because people were prepared to put with them because they were not Eircom.

If UTV do not want threads on boards criticising them - they have it in their own hands to make sure it does not happen - all they have to do is provide the service they are getting paid for. And if and when the inevitable disruptions do come then communicate with their customers in a way that does not treat them like idiots. This is what generated the customer loyalty to UTV in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

first hitch with utv now, can't connect with my account, *sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Speeds on Clicksilver all day have been crap. Just got a terrible 30.1 kilobytes per second at Bandwidth place.How are everyone elses speeds today????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

its been working fine for me (€30 48:1 product)... maybe there's bugger all users on my exchange or something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Woeful speeds on Clicksilver today. Downloading files has been speedy enough (especially if from more than one source).

But websites are gone very slow, I see a thread here about the same problem happening with IOLBB. Irish websites seem to be ok, boards isn't too bad, but many non-Irish sites are almost inaccessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

very slow on iol too..
    keep getting dns errors for some reason
    seems to go up and down randomly..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

this is gone beyond a joke at this stage. Can't connect to a load of sites. UTV get this sorted NOW. Its just not good enough. MARTIN do something. This weekend has been the worst since i got Clicksilver last October.

This is the Pitts, can't get on to Komplett, Oceanfree, TCD Webmail and loads of other stuff. Same crap all day Saturday.

I thought the early morning engineering works (3am-4am) might have sorted some things out but not for me .

I'm off to look for my old modem and pop it back in, at least then I can order stuff from Komplett and check my mail. It might be a bit faster than this!!

Ae :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

My download log on IOL overnight shows connection loss between 04:06 & 05:33 this morning.. There also was downtime yesterday here at about 12:15 during the day but that was down to a power cut

Advertisement