Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ClickSilver ..just died...again !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Originally posted by Emerson
    There also was downtime yesterday here at about 12:15 during the day but that was down to a power cut

I don't really think we can blame IOL for that :) But good try!

Not had any issues with IOL BB this week at all :D Keep it up IOL!

Downloaded 1.2 Gigs yesterday of Sims Online! Excellent or what ;)

X

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

Originally posted by Xcellor
    I don't really think we can blame IOL for that :) But good try!
    I'm not, unless IOL provide my electricity which wasn't the case last I checked :) Just interesting to see all these errors in one 24 hour period of the computer being left on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Aepos

Got on to UTV support re. sites not contactable, have now put in Proxy settings:-

195.218.116.8 Port 3128

Komplett etc. now contactable ...Hooray..Bit of a pain though as the whole house have different machines on the wifi so they all have to be fiddled with.

Ae

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Zefren

The IOLBB outage at 4am was announced by IOL via boards.iol.ie .... http://boards.iol.ie/viewtopic.php?t=327

Zef

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

:mad:

Can't get access ebay or google, not as if they're the most widely used sites on the net or anything :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Originally posted by Emerson
    My download log on IOL overnight shows connection loss between 04:06 & 05:33 this morning..

Same here for UTV

If anyone can't log on to some sites try the Proxy settings as set out 4 posts back. That worked for me.

195.218.116.8 Port 3128

Bit of a pain if your using a wireless router though.

Ae

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,882 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Afternoon all....

Posted this on the Komplett board here, but as this page is more active.....

I can get to the Komplett homepage with or without the proxy specified above, but when I click on either the "view cart" link, or buy something and then attempt to remove it from the cart, I get a "page cannot be found" error??

Anyone else getting this or is it just me? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Originally posted by Zefren
    The IOLBB outage at 4am was announced by IOL via boards.iol.ie .... http://boards.iol.ie/viewtopic.php?t=327

Zef

Wohoooo! Fantastic that brings the total announcements that IOL have made via the board to a whopping 2! ;) Sorry for the sarcasm but there have been outages before and they've not bothered their backsides to tell customers....

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

UTV sent emails about last night's planned outage about 3/4 days ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Wow well done IOL - last nights disruption for mantenence has made my connection speed worse. CLAP CLAP.

Downstream 189 Kbps (23.6 KB/sec)

Speeds worse than ever, Proxy settings fixed some sites others still not contactable.

like apple.com and hotmail.com and other obscure sites!!

More problems than ever with UTV.

Engineering works didn't seem to help much so far.

Cheers Mr. UTV I really got my €47.50's worth this month.

Ae

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

I have no problems getting to hotmail.com or apple.com with clicksilver

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Originally posted by DMT
    I have no problems getting to hotmail.com or apple.com with clicksilver

It would seem that at the moment there are broadly two categories of UTV customers one group need the proxy to access certain sites and the others dont.

The proxy problems are also being reported in the support group and in some cases mail is also being affected.

It is obvious now that the work carried out last night which was supposed to solve recent problems has not been effective.

Ok I'm getting apple & hotmail now ok. But very very slow to load.

Couldn't get TCD or Komplett or get pop mail from oceanfree without the Proxy settings, they were all working fine albeit slow up untill Saturday.

What with loss of service, PW settings having to be changed, slow speeds, and now proxy settings what can happen next?

Originally posted by Aepos

What with loss of service, PW settings having to be changed, slow speeds, and now proxy settings what can happen next?

Well it could be your email! :( Some folks cant access theirs and then there's that meteorite hurtling towards earth.........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

im really getting sick of this UTV ****e it is never ending and am seriously think of ditching them for someone else
    i know its a 12 month contract but if they cant provide the service then THEY are in breech of contract **** them
    im getting really pissed off now

my download speed is 92kb/s wow 1.4 that of dial up yea 47.50 well spent!? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

im sure UTV browse this forum now and again so to YE get it ****ing sorted OK!!!

some pings for ye(not all the unreachables!!!)

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\>cd\

C:\>ping www.boards.ie

Pinging www.boards.ie [82.195.131.128] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=71ms TTL=53
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=89ms TTL=53
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=72ms TTL=53
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=72ms TTL=53

Ping statistics for 82.195.131.128:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 71ms, Maximum = 89ms, Average = 76ms

C:\>ping www.fhm.co.uk

Pinging crs.ultradns.net [204.74.99.100] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 204.74.99.100:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\>ping www.football365.co.uk

Pinging cluster.rivalsdm.com [213.177.198.228] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 213.177.198.228: bytes=32 time=57ms TTL=242
    Reply from 213.177.198.228: bytes=32 time=59ms TTL=242
    Reply from 213.177.198.228: bytes=32 time=60ms TTL=242
    Reply from 213.177.198.228: bytes=32 time=47ms TTL=242

Ping statistics for 213.177.198.228:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Minimum = 47ms, Maximum = 60ms, Average = 55ms

C:\>ping www.skysports.co.uk

Pinging www.skysports.co.uk [193.117.250.163] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
    Reply from 154.32.41.2: Destination net unreachable.

Ping statistics for 193.117.250.163:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\>

rant over

by the way the proxy sucks and we if i knew that a proxy was permanent then i wouldnt ahve signed up because it bigger hastle all round

im sure UTV browse this forum now and again so to YE get it ****ing sorted OK!!!

Just for the sake of it why dont you email a copy of your post here to utV support and also post it to the utv support news group - it will all be on record then if you want to challegne the contract.

Jonski has been waging a ceaseless campaign their for improved pings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by jank
    C:\>ping www.fhm.co.uk
    Pinging crs.ultradns.net [204.74.99.100] with 32 bytes of data:
    Request timed out.
    Nothing to do with UTV - FHM's routers are configured not to respond to pings.
    C:\>ping www.skysports.co.uk
    Pinging www.skysports.co.uk [193.117.250.163] with 32 bytes of data:
    Request timed out.

Again, that's the way skys network equipment is configured - here's what I get:

[root@me /root]# ping www.skysports.co.uk
    PING www.skysports.co.uk (193.117.250.163) from w.x.y.z : 56(84) bytes of data.
    From 2.41.32.154.psie.net (154.32.41.2): Packet filtered

--- www.skysports.co.uk ping statistics ---
    3 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, +3 errors, 100% packet loss
    [root@me /root]#

(This is from a network that doesn't go anywhere near UTV, IOL or Eircoms network).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Clicksilver= S**t right about now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Couldn't get TCD or Komplett or get pop mail from oceanfree without the Proxy settings

That's interesting? How do you get the proxy working for POP email?

Valentia Re. POP mail,

Havn't got a clue, all I know is it worked after doing the proxy thing. If I turn off the proxy I dont get oceanfree pop mail..But nothing seems to behave on UTV Clicksilver as it used to, or should do.

Cheers Ae

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

Originally posted by Valentia
    That's interesting? How do you get the proxy working for POP email?

Just set the proxy connection in whatever email program you're using. Outlook automatically uses the IE connection settings, so if you've changed the IE settings, Outlook will automatically use the proxy.

The only problem I have found is my messages being bounced back from certain email addresses because the proxy was blacklisted by their email server, so I have disabled the proxy for IE (and Outlook), and use it in Opera for browsing.

Ro

Originally posted by Ro-76
    Just set the proxy connection in whatever email program you're using. Outlook automatically uses the IE connection settings, so if you've changed the IE settings, Outlook will automatically use the proxy.
    If you're talking about Outlook Express, then, no, it doesn't use the IE proxy settings for POP mail. OE can't use a proxy for POP mail (even a SOCKS proxy, without additional 3rd party support). OE can only use a proxy for HTTPMail (for connecting to Hotmail accounts in OE).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,205 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I cant understand why people are bringing Eircom into the argument about UTV's sh1te service?

I mean, if I buy a Mercedes from Mikes Mercedes Garage and the engine falls out, I dont give a flying phuck why it happened or that Mike and his garage have been let down, my contract is with Mike, not some 3rd party.
    Its up to Mike to fix my problem.

Its Basic Consumer Affairs Laws people.

Utv blaming Eircom is not a viable option.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

if it was eircoms fault we would all be suffering the same problems at the same time too so them blaming eircom everytime is bs. Its either UTVs own personal fault or its some dodgy 3rd party that UTV have contracted that is at fault, its up to UTV to not only solve the current problems but also improve the ping /packetloss problems which have been there since day 1. UTVs broadband service should in theory be of a similiar/equal quality to eircom/iol broadband for all aspects i.e. surfing, downloading, gaming, thats what ppl are meant to be paying UTV for.

Originally posted by redoxan
    I cant understand why people are bringing Eircom into the argument about UTV's sh1te service?

I mean, if I buy a Mercedes from Mikes Mercedes Garage and the engine falls out, I dont give a flying phuck why it happened or that Mike and his garage have been let down, my contract is with Mike, not some 3rd party.
    Its up to Mike to fix my problem.
    If the engine wasn't installed properly, then you'll find that it's Mercedes that will have to fix it, not Mike. (Mercedes might get Mike to fix it for them, but it's still Mercedes fixing a problem they were responsible for).
    It's Basic Consumer Affairs Laws people.

Utv blaming Eircom is not a viable option.
    UTV are reselling eircoms RADSL service. If eircom doesn't tell UTV about "planned outages" until after they happen, what do you want UTV to do about it? Threaten to stop selling eircoms service if eircom doesn't get their act together?

Clearly, not all of the problems are eircoms fault. But outages that effect IOL and UTV customers at about the same time may well have the same root cause. Some of the problems may be down to simple congestion, as ESAT and UTV are regularly upgrading their connections with eircom.

And interestingly enough, some of the problems might be associated with eircoms sudden fit of efficiency, that just happened to coincide with the release of the new packages. For months, eircom were taking 3 and 4 weeks to handle orders from IOL and UTV. Suddenly, the new lower prices kick in, demand increases, and eircom are now able to turn these orders around in a couple of days (judging by the posts here saying that people are online within days of applying). IOL and UTV, who have had a 3 week window to plan for new capacity up to now, suddenly find themselves with new customers being "turned on" faster than they can upgrade their capacity to handle them (this doesn't effect IOL quite as much, because ESAT have more spare capacity available).

Again, what do you expect UTV to do? Complain, and ask eircom to delay implementation of new orders for a couple of weeks? Yes, they've been scrambling for the last 3 weeks. They haven't done themselves any favours by falling down on the one thing that helped build their good reputation in the first place - good communication with their customers. I hope that what we've seen in the last couple of weeks is just a teething troubles, and that things will sort them selves out quickly. UTV would probably be doing themselves and us a favour by letting the half a dozen noisy oysters cancel their contracts, but unfortunately, much of the damage that has been done probably can't be repaired, even though there are plenty of people out there who are perfectly happy with the service they've been getting (I just checked with a guy in the office that I know has Clicksilver, and he didn't have any complaints about outages).

UTV are reselling eircoms RADSL service. If eircom doesn't tell UTV about "planned outages" until after they happen, what do you want UTV to do about it? Threaten to stop selling eircoms service if eircom doesn't get their act together?

I expect UTV to have a proper system in place with whoever does the maintenace to make sure that they are informed of them in advance. I certainly do not expect Malcolm to be using such maintenance issues as an excuse for outages that occur at other times of the day. That is simply pathetic.
    Again, what do you expect UTV to do?

Provide the service that we are paying them for. If they are unable to provide that service communicate in a proper way with their customers. It is not just in the last three weeks that UTV have been having problems and they have had more than enough time to sort it out.

UTV have offered a very competitive broadband product and they must have known and wanted it to attract new customers. It is up to them to ensure they have the proper resources in place to deal with the demand that they themselves are generating by their pricing.

And speaking unashamedly as a noisy oyster I am fed up with UTV getting away with poor service simply because they are an alternative to Eircom.

Any by the way Ripwave do you use Clicksilver?

Originally posted by dub45
    I expect UTV to have a proper system in place with whoever does the maintenace to make sure that they are informed of them in advance.
    Eircom does the maintenance on Eircoms exchanges.
    I certainly do not expect Malcolm to be using such maintenance issues as an excuse for outages that occur at other times of the day. That is simply pathetic.
    As an example of the sort of crap they have to put up with from eircom it's pretty revealing. (And they have to put up with it, they don't have any choice in the matter, unlike you, who can actually go to some other provider).
    Provide the service that we are paying them for. If they are unable to provide that service communicate in a proper way with their customers. It is not just in the last three weeks that UTV have been having problems and they have had more than enough time to sort it out.
    Maybe you didn't read the bit of my post where I said they've fallen down the job of communicating with their customers? The sort of problems that have been reported in the last few weeks appear to have been far more frequent than were reported before that. (This thread, which is 9 pages long, is only 10 days old, though it feels like it's been going on for years).
    And speaking unashamedly as a noisy oyster I am fed up with UTV getting away with poor service simply because they are an alternative to Eircom.
    They aren't "getting away with it". And you aren't any more "fed up" than the rest of us are listening to you piss and moan about it. I mean, it's not as if you're actually doing anything productive by making the same endless round of complaints, is it? I wouldn't mind if you guys actually posted information that was useful, like what exchange you were on, so people could figure out if it was a regional issue, or if you came up with a set of standard metrics, so you could define exactly what and who is effected, or even a standard timeline, so it would be possible to correlate outages, and see if they are service wide or localised. You eat the head off anyone who doesn't heap abuse on UTV, so it's not as if there's any balance in the thread.
    Any by the way Ripwave do you use Clicksilver?
    Would I be using an IBB service name if I was a Clicksilver user? Would I be quoting someone elses experiences with the service if I had my own to relate?

Can I assume that you're going to avoid answering the question I actually asked? What do you expect UTV to do about problems that appear to be caused by eircoms actions or inactions? There are obviously problems with the service that can't be laid at eircoms door. But some can be. How do you suggest UTV deal with these eircom related problems?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

Definitely, the customers should draw up metrics of where the problem is and identify problem exchanges. It should most definitely not be UTV's responsibility to fix any problems, it's the customer's responsibility.

If I were a UTV user I wouldn't give a **** about how they deal with Eircom or anyone else. The reason I'm not a UTV user is that I always expected them to be unable to deliver a consistent quality of service.

After this threads and the many like it, I suspect UTV may not have to worry about large numbers of new customers for a while.

Advertisement