Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bf Vietnam so disapointing

Options
  • 19-03-2004 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Just installed BF Vietnam there are so many problems I would not no where to start between graphics and sound . So any one thinking of buying don't hold of till the problems are ironed out. To say I was disapointed would be an under statement.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

I don't know if I would go that far just yet...but yes I have had problems also. Would not work for ages even at everything set to low...would just stop on loadout screen and I had to reset system. I persevered though and eventually it worked. I then kicked some settings up to medium and high and so far so good. I haven't tried online yet but will this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

to each there own, was working fine for me all details maxed out at 1024*768

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

i got it running to

patch will sort it all out (i hope) And tbh the game rocks

/me off to play "war what is it good for" from a hue

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I had a couple of problems but ironed them out nice and easily. Had graphics trouble which is now all sorted with the latest drivers from NVidia.

The big annoyances seem to be things that were added in the v1.5 and v1.6 BF1942 patches that wearnt included in Vietnam. The ingame menu is really that of BF1942 v1.0 with no voting etc. Hopefully this will be fixed with the first patch. Also annoying are the game menu's. I like the Battlefield 1942 ones, so very simple and clear. The new one is kinda weird but im used to it now. Im glad they kept the profile thingy, though it was gone for a second when i loaded it up.

Glad to see EAX and 5.1/7.1 supported. Loverly sound on 5.1 with music blasting away. Ony thing I have found hard is digging tunnels/moving spawns with the NVA engineer. Cant seem to be able to find a spawn to do it with.

what should i select in the sound section when i have an audigy 1, EAX, EAX 2 or EAX 3? and yeah the 5.1 support is cool. running over for a chopper in the base and i hear the radio booming out behind me sweet.

with regards to profiles i just put my tag into it.

data

• Advertisement

I also have an Audigy 1 and have mine set to just EAX [not EAX 2 or 3]. Not too sure if it owuld make too much differance running the others but i know it works in 5.1 with EAX so im keeping it like that :)

All I need to do really is update my Graphics card and im sorted. Havent had a chance to hear a chopper roar overhead with music blasting away. For some reason the bots dont like to play music :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

no wonder the little buggers kept popping up behind me, note to self read manuals, never knew ye could build tunnels and move spawns with NVA engineers LOL

Anyhoo i dont think battlefield vietnam is as bad as its made out to be in this thread, the only problem i had was with the lag which the unofficial sound patch took care of for me

Ive had nps with graphics running on a 9800 pro all details upto to full, seems to be the nvidia side is the problem

Shin

still have to play on the kplay.de german servers though, i still cant play on uk servers damn connection interruption ****e keeps popping up

Originally posted by shinzon

Ive had nps with graphics running on a 9800 pro all details upto to full, seems to be the nvidia side is the problem

which i find quite amusing consider the nvidia "the way its meant to be played" logo type thingy is on the box and in the manual and them waffling about the FX series cards, what a kick in the nuts.

what a kick in the nuts

exactly lol

:D

shin

It really would be more to do with the fact that the Nvidia Geforce FX cards cannot handle DirectX 9.0b aswell as the Radeon cards. Until the next Gen cards come out the Radeon chip is better at DirectX 9 then the Geforce FX. Nvidia have been improving it bit by bit though with recent drivers.

Hopefully with the next nvidia driver release and graphics bugs with Geforce cards and BF:V will be sorted out. Dont forget the problems people used to have with BF1942 and some of the nvidia drivers...

As shinzon said, many people seem to be putting this game down. Really its as good if not better then what Battlefield 1942 was when it was first released. Gvie it a patch or two and it will be even better. They know what they need to add in the patches anyway, ingame menu etc.. so lets just give it time.

Speaking of time, its time I got my ass back on the server!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Just had a run on one map on Navan server.
    Hard to say what i think yet but i must say it runs sweet for me.
    100+ fps full gfx 1280x1024.
    It feels like eve of destruction which of course is free.
    I need more time before i pass judgement.

after an evenin' playin I can confirm the game if class. Took a little gettin used too and there are some issues that need resolved such as the M60(can you miss with this gun) and just why they gave this m60 dude a powerful anti armour weapon is well beyond me....NVA are def. outclassed in this area. other bits n pieces need fixed but over all a resounding yes...The hind Mi-8 rocks!! just why did the nva get a far better chopper than the yanks..still I ain't complainin as the hueys and cobras are good too...I can even land now :D hehe

as for the planes..couldn't get used to em at all but I got choppers now :D

Music with vehicles..fantastic!!

After my teething probs I can run this now with no lag whatsoever...very smooth and I even pushed most settings to high..needles to sey I'm very pleased :D

:ninja: :ninja:

i agree with him ^

Im sick to say it but im very disapointed with it.
    Graphics are a dream and run like a dream on my rig.
    Netcode ofcourse is top class,as is the music but im sad to say thats it.
    Nothing new except for the choppers lifting vehicles on one or two other .
    BF mods IMO are far superior.
    After playing FH this is way too arcadey for my liking.
    It is eve of destruction with shiney knobs and in fairness is your typical EA rip off.
    I will be sticking to DC and FH from now on,back to the shops for refund tomorrow me thinks :( unless someone wants to save me a trip of 40 miles to the big smoke and take it off my hands.

Originally posted by Dcully
    It is eve of destruction with shiney knobs and in fairness is your typical EA rip off.
    I will be sticking to DC and FH from now on,back to the shops for refund tomorrow me thinks :( unless someone wants to save me a trip of 40 miles to the big smoke and take it off my hands.

don't be so hasty cully..I think if you gave it a chance you will warm to it..I had big reservations when i first played also.

It would be very hasty getting rid of this , as the rumours flying about at the mo is that most mods will be switching to vietnam to make use of the better engine it provides

I like battlefield vietnam plain and simple, BF1942 had shaky beginnings, once the patches came out it was a better game altogether

Wish people wouldnt rush to judgement on a game thats only been out 1 day here, wait for the patches thats when the fun really begins and the fixes for the bugs can be implemented

Shin

your probably correct regarding mods converting over to BFV superior engine.
    BF,DC and now BFV just seem too simplistic in the infantry weapon balistics for my taste.
    Im into red orchestra mod for UT 2003 [infact im a tester] and Forgotten hope.
    I love realism and that seems to be my problem.
    BF and BFV are great games ,this i have no doubt its just they make these games to appeal to mass market and do so by not making things hardcore realistic.
    As i said i much prefer realism mods and mainstream games dont really offer this .
    I have decided to keep BFV as the engine is superb and runs fantastic and all max settings for me.
    It has massive potential it must be said regarding the modding community.
    Maybe if i could fly the choppers i might enjoy it more :)

you wont get a big boy like EA producing a game that’s ultra realistic it wouldn’t appeal to enough people Mods don’t have any big risks its just time mostly so they can try out new things and appeal to a lesser market of die hard realism fans

but tbh i played americans army and by god its boreing you can be too realistic takeing tests ffs :rolleyes:

Originally posted by bizmark

but tbh i played americans army and by god its boreing you can be too realistic takeing tests ffs :rolleyes:

yeah, I tried americas army too..its way too overbearing ...I had a bad start and after an accidental team kill had been stripped of enough of those honour points that denied me access to other games...I promptly uninstalled...it was just no fun.

The special forces tests where terrible listening to a whole ****ing squad blow on about how great they are and what they do then haveing to learn to tell Allied and russian millitry kit apart from a few seconds of pictures I DONT WANT TO JOIN YOUR ARMY FFS or declear war on russia i just want to play a game!!!

Medical tests as well :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Tired to like it at firsat (bfv) as I was all hyped up and wanted it to be good. Then after abou 4 maps playing single player I got really bored and delcared it shite.

Then played it online. Omg, excellent game. Alot of things that need to be fixed, but I'm well pleased with my purchase :)

Guys Americas army aint that good.
    You need to try the best realism mod out there,red orchestra for UT2003.
    Regarding BFV OMG how wrong i was ,it wasnt until i joined the Navan server and got sweet pings on my isdn that i started to enjoy it.
    No its not realism but after seven or so hours today OMG it is dangerously FUN,
    Thank god i decided to persevere with it it is truely a great war game.
    This game needs time to grow on you and then you appreciate that gameplay is what matters and BFV has this in bucketloads.

BTW thanks to Darkireland,Rev Hellfire and JimeatsMenu i had a ball on the server,thanks for game guys it was amazing :)

BTW thanks to Darkireland,Rev Hellfire and JimeatsMenu i had a ball on the server,thanks for game guys it was amazing :)

Was good fun :) your a good player should join TIG

<-- Darkireland btw

Originally posted by bizmark

Yes but after 3 10 minute lectures and tests ontop of that you get to become ... yes a qualified field medic! And this makes no real differance game and so was a total waste of your time! Fantastic.

Somethign I am learning from BF:V is the more you play it the better it seems to get. And as said give it one or two patches and it should be fantastic. They know what they need to add [ingame menu's and buddy stuff] and once thats done and the few bugs sorted it will be great.

Planes are sluggish I find, need a big of tweaking. Heat seakers are fantastic and are good enough to make a differance but not to make it too easy. Gotta love that chain too. Its a fantastic sight to see a PBR flying ahead and trying to fly a brick with a bigger brick attached to it

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

So are there M-14s? And any hellis with miniguns?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Yes ssh, USA engineer's carry M14, and Huey gunships have 2 mini guns on them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭f1refox

I have to say I have changed my view on BF Vietnam after a few adjustments to my 9800 pro. There are still a few little problems but I can live with them untill a patch comes out to sort them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

I find Americas Army to be better with say 4 players...we play it on our wLAN here...playing BF1942/Vietnam with 4 isnt great because the bots are stupid (i had 4 of them on my team sitting in a chopper and not taking off at a spawn point...they do it with the truck things too) . At least with Americas Army your playin again just humans.

BFVietnam doesnt run great on my rig (AMD XP3200+, 512mb, GeForce 4 Ti4200), hopefully when i get a new gfx i'll be able to throw up the settings from the medium.

Originally posted by f1refox
    I have to say I have changed my view on BF Vietnam after a few adjustments to my 9800 pro. There are still a few little problems but I can live with them untill a patch comes out to sort them out.

i'm interested in your adjustments if you'd care to share them, i just lashed all the details to max and use what i think are the latest drivers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭f1refox

Battlefield Vietnam does not support some of the hardware features of the ATI 9800. If you experience strange graphical anomalies with this card, exit Battlefield Vietnam and bring up the display properties on your desktop. Click on Settings -> Advanced -> 3D. In the 3D settings for Direct3D make sure the "Use custom settings" box is not checked. If it is, make sure the "Application Preference" checkboxes for anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering are turned on.

Advertisement