Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod evaluation

Options
  • 19-03-2004 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

I was just looking at this thread - http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=148334 Silly thread, but the thought struck me since there's been a few people complaining about mods recently, would it be a feasable idea to put up polls in each forum asking the regular users to rate their mod? It could be a useful barometer of a moderator's performance.

Maybe it could be done like the forum-wide announcements, and the poll results remain private to everyone but admins. As I said, don't know how feasable an idea it is.

Or you could just hold a big public poll awards ceremony deal for Best Mod ;)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Originally posted by Exit
    I was just looking at this thread - http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=148334 Silly thread, but the thought struck me since there's been a few people complaining about mods recently, would it be a feasable idea to put up polls in each forum asking the regular users to rate their mod? It could be a useful barometer of a moderator's performance.

Will our salaries be linked to the poll results?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Well, there's a hell of a lot of muppets around, and chances are they'd just vote down a mod for the sheer muppetness of it. What would happen to said mod if they get low votes? Doesn't strike me as a great idea, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Hmmm, yeah you're right. I obviously didn't think it through far enough. Oops :o

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It'd get my vote tbh.

Maybe a specifically written page where users can give evaluations on mods, and some suggestions. The mods can then read their own personal evaluations, and obviously the admins can read them all.

The only thing is anti-abuse dealies. Obviously, once someone gets banned and has a grievance with a mod, they're going to go and just plain give abuse on this evaluation form. So 1. Users would have to log in, and 2. could only comment once on any mod. If a mod sees a paricularly bad evaluation, an Admin could confirm it came from a particularly annoying/muppetish/angry user and he can disregard it. People also tend not to praise others when they do a good job, instead opting to slate them when they do a poor job, thereby skewing actual results.

Included in this evaluation could be a rating system (1-10), which gets totalled and averaged, and is only viewable by Admins and the mod himself. That way, if a grievance arises, the Admins can review the community's general feeling of the mod. It would also allow mods to see the community's general feeling of them, and adjust any behaviour which they weren't aware annoyed users.

I don't like the idea of a public anonymous poll on each board. Way too open to abuse, imo.

Again, the biggest problem could be the "only speak up when you have a complaint" factor.

So IMO, good idea, but it could prove too much of a logistical problem to do. Remember that mods don't get paid or get any benefits for doing it, so not all mods could give two tits as to what the community thinks of how they mod their boards.
    Originally posted by Exit
    Or you could just hold a big public poll awards ceremony deal for Best Mod ;)
    It was done. Once. Gordon won I think. Check out the Boards Awards board, there were supposed to be plans to do a second.

And cheers for the vote of confidence. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Originally posted by Trojan
    Will our salaries be linked to the poll results?

you mean we can get a percentage of €0.00 based on performance rating? Sweeet...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by crash_000
    you mean we can get a percentage of €0.00 based on performance rating? Sweeet...

You're a Cmod, Mods get twice that rate!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

good idea exit, and seamus' extention on the idea seems to clear up any bits and bobs regarding it.
    you say that each user only has one comment per mod, but would this be ever or in the space of afew months, Im sure it could happen that a mod pisses you off, then a while later is really helpful and you want to give a new rating, or vice versa.
    Obviously it could be used for praise as well as complaints

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Originally posted by syke
    You're a Cmod, Mods get twice that rate!

Yeah they finally realised i was conning them with the Mod bit.....damn flanders. I mean ecksor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Originally posted by flogen
    good idea exit, and seamus' extention on the idea seems to clear up any bits and bobs regarding it.
    you say that each user only has one comment per mod, but would this be ever or in the space of afew months, Im sure it could happen that a mod pisses you off, then a while later is really helpful and you want to give a new rating, or vice versa.

Flogen

Well I was thinking more of a current evaluation, over the space of a forthnight or a month. And then maybe do it once a year or something like that. A continous poll would be difficult to monitor.

Originally posted by flogen

Obviously! (nice afterthought there)

Sure we could have the whole plan supervised by a select group of users (privately of course). Maybe we could call them The Circle Of The Auld Lads With Beards, or T.W.A.T.S. for short.

I propose FloggingADeadHorse for Head_Circular_Guy_With_Beard. Second, anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Just because mods dont get paid(it is voluntary), doesnt mean they can throw that back at the community whenever something like this is discussed

Wow, was I "throwing something back at the community"? Cool, I haven't done that since I threw a pint at azezil at the last beers (I missed unfortunately - pity that poor girl in the short skirt!).

Luckily the boards I mod need very little supervision, so when the "Mood" stars start getting handed out I shall hopefully escape notice.

(yes, I think it's a bad idea).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Just get rid of mods all together. Each day set up some random variable that makes someone super mod. Let them run boards for the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

I do not honestly think that Moderators would want or warrant such time wasting and inherently unfair evaluation.

It would practically turn everyone so enclined in too a Mod ?... :dunno:

P. :ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

FFS
    Just pm an admin with the details of why you think a particular mod is doing a bad job. Let the admin go and review the mod's behaviour and sort it out.

Don't make things more complicated than they should be.

Interesting idea there damnyanks! Have to say I'm not entirely against that plan.

My alternative was that we could ban the entire user population from boards, leaving only mods. Then there'd be no trouble whatsoever with mods unfairly treating users! It's perfect! No flaws in this plan.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

We're actually investigating the possibility of setting up a free phone number for this purpose.

Moderators would be required to have the following in their signature:

"How's my moderating? Call 1-800-OPPRESS"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

i detect a note of sarcasm, ecksor....

Flogen

This interests me or anyone else how?

Anyway, hurry up with your next suggestion already, I'm sitting on the edge of my seat here.

Originally posted by ecksor
    Anyway, hurry up with your next suggestion already, I'm sitting on the edge of my seat here.

This is a perfect example of the type of treatment that some users are receiving at the hands of rampaging hoards of vicious moderators and admins. Shame on you ecksor!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Originally posted by ecksor

Tired of this whole feedback/suggestions thing already eh?

Feel free, just keep in mind the boy who cried wolf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Only mods can be elite.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

How do you get the word 'oppress' on a phone? Mine only has numbers...

:confused:

Oh and I got best rookie poster award :cool: Monty got best mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

actually it was mightyest mod, dont forget after hours was also voted best board :)

I personally dont think there can be a best mod, most have to deal with different kinds of people, however there are a few of us that have to deal with just about everyone...All we do is enforce the rules and in some cases keep the peace.

look at your mobile to see how to get the the number:p 6777377

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Originally posted by Monty - the one and only
    look at your mobile to see how to get the the number:p 6777377
    I'm looking at my mobile but someone's put a wheel clamp on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

This thread delivers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

well, maybe a mod/poster praise bod like political satire "set up at the top"

when ever a forum members see's some good modding to post up and say thanks....

and any muppets that want to kick up a stink get banned...

it may mean more modding but the muppets will thin out after a while....

but only for certain boards....

as in technology... "cheers for XXXX for solving my driver problem.....good work XXXX"...

PI, science, AH, commuting,

place where people have problems or questions....

could be a better system of karma and properly utilized could give some fine mods/posters some credit* they deserve..

*does not imply money

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

please don't judge me, i may cry :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Trojan
    This is a perfect example of the type of treatment that some users are receiving at the hands of rampaging hoards of vicious moderators and admins.

Long may it continue.

Bring Back Karma Points

Advertisement