Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Madonna confirmed to headline Slane

• 19-03-2004 7:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭

Confirmed on hotpress.com here, although it needs a subscription to read entire article :dunno:.
    Madonna is to be presiding over this year's Slane proceedings, with August 21 the likely date for the festival.

Ooooh... there's not going to be many people happy about this :D.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

It's the Sunday Life, I wouldn't believe it.
    Wait until mcd announce it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I wouldn't believe speculation from the Sunday Life, it was just the only alternate media source available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

boo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

I just got that email from Hotpress too.
    Can't believe they'd bother with that old slag. Didn't her last album completly flop? Had hoped that would cause all those early rumours of her at Slane to be bull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

dam had high hopes for this year

ac/dc , radiohead, G & R etc

and they come out with this slag.

i reckon it will be the lowest turnout ever

mcd = pile of muppets

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

Radiohead were never gonna do it.....unfortunatley......
    this is plain awful, Im sure the organisers will receive some very threatening letters:dunno: so many people don't want this... they'll have to listen to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭wiped

Slane Castle are contactable ... enquiries@slanecastle.ie ... email them with requests for Madonna NOT to play ......

AC/DC or The Who gets my vote .................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Madonna confirmed to headline Slane

pardon my ignorance but madonna hasnt been confirmed to play yet, did you even read the article? why did you put a sensationalist name on this thread, when there still is no confirmation that madonna will play? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Originally posted by weemcd
    pardon my ignorance but madonna hasnt been confirmed to play yet, did you even read the article? why did you put a sensationalist name on this thread, when there still is no confirmation that madonna will play? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Ho. I'll excuse your ignorance...

I think people are being seriously mislead by the original article, so I removed it (anyone else interested can view it here). The confirmation came from Hotpress (link above), yet since you need a subscribtion to view their content, I had to make do with the Sunday Life article, just as a resource.

think it should be confirmed by mcd, not hotpress

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Burago

MCD want to make money and Madonna will sell out at Slane. Think of all the thirty something women who will flock to this garbage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

mmm thirty something woman in a field, scoring oppurtunity me thinks

:rolleyes: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Silent Grape

on another note, did anybody see radiohead last december?
    that was pretty great.

sigh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

Since when do 30 something women go to anything musical aside from ****ey Atomic Kitten gigs with their illegitimate flesh bag kids?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Silent Grape

^^^charming^^^

lord henry mount charles has an agreement with the people of slane that no concert will ever be held on a sunday, it was drawn up with other agreements after the riots in 1984, so if madonna wont play on saturady and she's not allowed to play on sunday, there may be hope that she just wont bother coming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Originally posted by krattapopov
    mmm thirty something woman in a field, scoring oppurtunity me thinks

:rolleyes: :D
    That might be thirty something people overall in a field:D

Nah seriously, if it is going to be Madona I won't be very impressed and a lot of others won't either but there will be plenty queueing up for tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Ronika

apparently her shows called somethin like Babylon of Whores- they were slaggin it off on Spin this morning :dunno: cant believe they're lettin her play she's a hasbeen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Stoodgy

It's a disgrace that they got Madonna to Headline, i know nobody who's gonna go and can you blame them, last year their were 110 people in 2 buses from my town but this year there wont even be a mini bus going down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭NeroTheExtreme

No more a disgrace than the Boringophonics playing there in 2002, in fact they're the only act that hasn't sold out the venue. Madonna would easily sell the place out thanks to fans of all ages.

Radiohead? You have to be joking me, they'd bomb at Slane!
    Nero

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭TrickyRicky

Yeh Jesus come on folks, madonna (yes she only deserves a small m) headlining, and ticket prices €70, 2 years ago it was €50 i dont think inflation is THAT bad, not to mention the €20 it will cost for Dublin Bus and of course the booze money for the day, i could go to Amsterdam for a weekend for the same price, and enjoy getting stoned and drunk to DECENT music not pop sh*te like madonna.

Whose with me in demanding an end to this ****e? and the return of DECENT acts to mountcharles yard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

In fairness Slane only tends to have good credible acts every few years, in between they will have anyone who will sell enough tickets.
    Roll on Oxegen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭artvandelay

Did anyone else hear the reason its on the sunday? It's due to the jewish sabeth. Apparantly madonna's new faith. I heard this on the radio this morning and to quote gerry ryan a name like Madonna implies her being a christian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

What ever happened to Slane being a rock event?

yeh i agree with your man who said bout only havin decnt acts every 2 years. I was there in 02 and god did it suck-

stereophonics-bland at best
    counting crows-i hurled rocks at em
    nickleback-where are they now? good riddance
    doves-missed em
    revs-(shudder)
    ocs-only saw the last of em

compared to last year when it was THE BEST CONCERT EVER!

so if the logic flows, 01-u2 brill, 02 ****e, 03, brill =04 ****e

and on a sunday??!! that means some people will have work the next day, thank god im a student and wont have any college. i still amnt goin till they make it a rawk event again im very pissed off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭artvandelay

The promoters realised they could sell it out quicker with pop acts with little or no promotion.

true another fair point, why dont they just get busted and blazing squad to support madonna and make it an over 12s event its going to turn in2 a teenybopper event after 2 decades of noble tradition. this is sacrilege

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ThreadKiller

Originally posted by Ronika
    she's a has-been

Yeah... over 100 million albums up to 1997 (after which time she had one of the top selling albums - Music among others)... she's all washed up alright. :rolleyes:
    The Official Madonna Fan Club released Madonna's album sales 
    figures from Warner Bros. Records. 
    These figures should be fairly accurate.

All numbers are sales through Sept. 1997, in millions.
      Album                          U.S.    Overseas      Total
     Madonna (83)                    4.4        3.3         7.7
     Like A Virgin (84)              9.0        8.3        17.3
     True Blue (86)                  7.0       12.0        19.0
     Who's That Girl (87)            1.3        3.3         4.6
     You Can Dance (87)              1.7        3.4         5.1
     Like A Prayer (89)              4.0        7.4        11.4
     I'm Breathless (90)             2.2        3.2         5.4
     The Immaculate Collection (90)  6.0        8.8        14.8
     Erotica (92)                    2.0        2.3         4.3
     Bedtime Stories (94)            2.6        3.4         6.0
     Something To Remember (95)      2.0        4.7         6.7
     Evita (96)                      2.6        4.4         7.0
                                             Grand Total: 109.3

i never said she want popular, some of her songs are ok, but she is NOT slane material slane is and alwys has been a ROCK festival i dont consider madonna rock. ergo no to madonna @ slane

• Advertisement

Yeah... over 100 million albums up to 1997 (after which time she had one of the top selling albums - Music among others)... she's all washed up alright.

Yeah I think we know who'll be first in line for tickets- :rolleyes:

I was at Slane last year it was my first time and have to say it rocked!!

of course it rocked t had chillis foos and feeder amongst other ok support acts, twas the best concert i was @, and i know itd be hard to top, tho chillis&pixies hopefully will come close, but madonna @ slane wouldnt even top the phonix and they were dull @ best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Originally posted by TrickyRicky
    I was there in 02 and god did it suck-

stereophonics-bland at best
    counting crows-i hurled rocks at em
    nickleback-where are they now? good riddance
    doves-missed em
    revs-(shudder)
    ocs-only saw the last of em

Why did you go? And I don't believe for a second that you threw rocks at the Counting Crows.
    Originally posted by artvandelay
    The promoters realised they could sell it out quicker with pop acts with little or no promotion.

Last years sold out incredibly quickly. It's not true at all to say that a pop act will sell out quicker and with less promotion than a rock act. As anyone who tried to get David Bowie tickets last year will testify to.

Besides, Madonna is not a typical pop act. If she plays Slane she will sell it out comfortably and the audience will be incredibly varied. Of course it all depends on the support act, given that Slane has never been about just one headlining act.

But it's all a bit irrelevant really given that she is not confirmed to play the concert.

Originally posted by Ronika
    Yeah I think we know who'll be first in line for tickets- :rolleyes:

I was at Slane last year it was my first time and have to say it rocked!!

Well it won't be me, Personally I'm not too pushed with her, wouldn't mind going to one of her gigs but would prefer a more intimate venue.

My reason for calling you on your post was because you dismissed her as being a has-been when she's arguably one of the most influential people (& most powerful women) in the music business.

Her songs have been covered by a widely diverse range of artists, she has one of the best contracts (in favour of the artist) in the business & she re-invents herself for every album with a hugely different sound each time.

To simply dismiss her as a "has-been" is incredible, but then you did say last year was your first time at slane so I'm guessing you're probably no more than early 20s.

Personally I'm mid 30s & have probably been going to gigs for as long as you've been on the planet. As such my mind is probably a little more open than yours (musically at least).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Rumour has it that she will be playing Slane naked (this is unconfirmed), she will also be performing some treats from her big selling book Sex.

ThreadKiller:

1. Im very open minded when it comes to music and like the Old stuff madonna produced.
    2. Its nice that you CAN guess my age just because I have only went to Slane once.
    3. The reason I called her a hasbeen is just like Janet jackson with the boob incident, I feel her infamous kiss with Britney & Christina was pathetic and done not only for the two younger girls but for her own name to be back in the limelight -IMHO
    But hey what do I know Im only IN my early 20's

• Advertisement

Dude, You're the one who called her a has been, I'm just the (old) guy who called you on it. If you feel the need to defend yourself then go ahead.

BTW, it's ALL about the publicity, not just the event. JJ's boob thing or the M/B/C kiss... (lesbianism is the new black dontchaknow...), ...it's how the music business works.

Wether you agree with it or not, or wether you think it's pathetic or not, it's got you talking about it.

But then again, you are only in your early 20s... :D

Originally posted by TrickyRicky
    i never said she want popular, some of her songs are ok, but she is NOT slane material slane is and alwys has been a ROCK festival i dont consider madonna rock. ergo no to madonna @ slane

Yeah, cos Stereophonics and Bryan Adams are the finest in Rock acts!
    Fact of the matter is, they'll get whoever can sell it out, especially after the financial disaster 2002 was for them.

Nero

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

Still whatever you think of the Stereophonics and Bryan Adams they're still classified as rock, Madonna is not though, shes pop. If I wanted pop I'd go to the childline concert

You class Robbie Williams as Rock? I'm sure he's done many a childline gig in his day! ;)

Then we have support acts in the past, Kelis, The Chieftans, Moby et al...
    Nero

Dude, You're the one who called her a has been, I'm just the (old) guy who called you on it. If you feel the need to defend yourself then go ahead.

Dude, I dont feel the need to defend myself, you obviously went to alot of trouble to get those figures belonging to madonna so I just felt I owned you an explanation. But hey if you feel that Im defending myself well then so be it :D

• Advertisement

whoa folks.....getting off the topic here, bottom line is a lot of fans both young (like me) whove been 2 slane only a few times and older folk who have been lots just dont wanna c madonna regarless of her album sales/publicity/religion/sex appeal (?) etc

Actually, the bottom line is the promotors don't give a rats ass what younger/older folk want, they'll stick whoever they think can get the best sales! Regardless if it's a rock act or not.

Nero

true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Apperently Madge has sold out her UK dates pretty damn fast. Like I said before, most of us may not be interested but she'll still draw a crowd...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭smelly girl

but would she? i know slane had the odd dodgy headliner (ie robbie williams) (and before anyone jumps down my neck i dont think theres anything wrong with him, just not very rock and roll). but would many actually head to slane to see her? i honestly think (and hope) its a wind up but i couldnt see them pulling in the usual crowd that slane usually gets.. i dont know of any of my mates who will actually go to see her. but then again i could be surprised, prehaps all my mates ( and the youth of ireland) are diehard madonna fans.........

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

I'd be inclined to say its just a windup. How long ago did this rumour surface? If she really was headlining would it not have been confirmed by now?!

I still think it'll be someone else. Aerosmith are the favourites imo because the rumour has been going around ages and I think they're waiting until their new album (Honkin on Bobo) is on sale at the end of the month/start of April before announcing it to bump sales up.

Just look at Bowie's best of, it re-entered the chart when he was confirmed for Oxegen and it was out ages

hmm could be a wind up and i hope so...but all the papers from the star ("everything we print is true") thru to the indo have carried some reference to her "whore of babylon" tour which has slane on its itinery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

I checked out her site ... just to see
    The tour will sweep across major markets in the US including Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago, Atlanta and Miami and then continue with stops in London, Paris and proposed visits to Israel and Ireland....
    There is a chance that she could be playing Ireland.. <fingers crossed its not Slane>
    August 18 London Earls Court
    she has added a second show at Earls Court ... so maybe she will fall on stage and injure herself..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭wiped

Apparently it's a done deal .... the only thing that can stop it now is her refusal to play on Saturdays (due to whatever religion she is this week :rolleyes: ) and Slane's agreement with the locals that gigs won't be played on Sundays .... lets hope the locals stand their ground and object to the planning permission ....

Don't bet on it. They adjusted the second day stipulation for U2 in 2001, It'll make no odds to Mount Charles and co to move the day if it means raking it in!

Y'know, they laughed this time five years ago when Robbie was announced to do Slane well, yet fell in disbelief when the record stated that Stereophonics were the only band not to sell the venue out.

I say more power to Madonna, she's no rock act admittadely, but she's done a lot more for music than the likes of the Stereophonics, Robbie Williams and The Verve, if anyone deserves to get the biggest stage of the year, i say give it to her, especially if she's never played here before, she'll draw the cash like mad!
    Nero

• Advertisement
Advertisement