Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worse than Rwanda

Options
  • 19-03-2004 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like its happening again. Apparently up to 1 million people are being ethnically cleansed in Western Sudan by Arab militas which are backed by the government. Systematic rape is occuring, up to 100 women were raped in a single attack.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3549325.stm

Itll be interesting to see who comes riding in to save them. My bet is no one. Maybe, once all the killing and torture is done with some soldiers will be sent in to keep an eye on the desert they call peace. And theyll say never again, again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Originally posted by Sand
    And theyll say never again, again. [/B]

Yup. Meanwhile Holocaust memorials will continue to multiply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

...and once again Sovtek responds with student philosophy. No-one will come to the resuce unles something important is threatened other than life of course. The UN will issue a statement, NATO wont intervene as its outside operations area. The African nations dont have any coherent structures for intervention.

http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=10142&Cr=&Cr1=

History - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/country_profiles/827425.stm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

This has been happening in southeren Sudan for over 30 years.
    CNN ignored it for a long time and so none of the news stations picked up on it.
    But yeah, it is horrible, thousands of women and children are captured evern month and raped, kileld or sold as slaves in other arab countries, and again CNN igonred it.
    And if anyon can give me the reason why they ignored it, I'll give them a cookie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

And to add to this...
    In the mid-late ninties, The South and Notrh agreed to draw an unoffical boarder at roughly midway.
    A few years later a large ammount of oil is discovered about 150miles south of the devide, and the north declairs war against the southeren "rebels".
    And CNN ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Itll be interesting to see who comes riding in to save them. My bet is no one.
    Probably no-one. No US assets at risk, therefore Clinton's presidential policy document 25 says that the US will oppose UN action and since they have a veto....

BTW, I don't think this is "worse" than rwanda, if it's even possible to make that distinction with genocide, given that rwanda saw 800,000 killed in a hundred days while this isn't approaching that rate of carnage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭halkar

Year 2010 - CNN reports --> Large large large amounts of oil discovered in Sudan
    Year 2015 - Bush VI invades Sudan to look for WMDs and promises democracy :D

we just have to wait I guess :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Ailill

These kinds of incidents, Rwanda and now this, makes you wonder if perhaps the European powers pulled out of Africa too soon, before a true culture of democracy and enlightenment could flourish in these places.

What we seem to see so often in Africa is ethnic/tribal warfare carried out with modern weapons. Very very sad.

I don't imagine the western powers will do anything to help these people, but neither will Russia, China, Indonesia, the South American countries. There seems to be a sort of fatalism about Africa - that it's beyond redemption.

The important thing about any military intervention is that it must be able to achieve its goal quickly and that foreign troops can be pulled out the moment order is restored. I think that's the main reason US/EU countries steer clear of Africa - fear of getting bogged down.

AFAIK, there are US troops in Eritrea right now, maybe they could be mobilised, I'm doubtful though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

European powers drew the borders in the first place without a consideration for ethnic/tribal desires.

Lack of intervention in Africa in times of turmoil shows the hyprocisy of the Iraq war.

There are plenty of murderous dicators there and genocide as in Sudan but as long as the natural resources are not threathened 'its ok to leave it be'.

IMHO, Africa should be top priority to get it peaceful and give its people some type of a future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Originally posted by gurramok
    IMHO, Africa should be top priority to get it peaceful and give its people some type of a future.
    Well what are you going to do about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Lear

Originally posted by Sparks
    Probably no-one. No US assets at risk, therefore Clinton's presidential policy document 25 says that the US will oppose UN action and since they have a veto....

I was wondering when the anti-US crowd would comment. Of course, had we done something, you'd claim it was all about oil.

Damned if you do .... damned if you don't ... but still better than being a leftist either way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

good point lear. Sudan is also far nearer Europe than the US. It is also I believe a former british colony. Why would you expect the US to go in there? tbh, it was us europeans who f**ked up Africa. It should be our obligation to help them out.

And Iraq is next door to US? What are they doing there? Why would Sudan be any different to them if it is for humanity and democracy or any other country , nation in chaos?

Smell of money is in black and white there for US actions. Who cares about humans as long as their pocket gets filled?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

People seem to ignore the hypocrisy in berating the US from intervening when european forces have intervened in these situations far less.

Yep, but US as yet to prove the world that they went Iraq for their freedom and democracy.
    It was sad too see on last night's program about Baghdad when US forces were surrounding the Oil ministery while a cardiac hospital was burned out. Go figure.

My point is if Sudan was as oil rich as Iraq, I am sure they will have some excuse to go there too, but seen that now they have Iraq in their pocket, I don't think they will go anywhere else untill they dry the country out while people are still suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Originally posted by Lear
    Of course, had we done something, you'd claim it was all about oil.

Yeah, best not to do anything then really eh? :rolleyes:

The U.Ss administration say it wasn't about oil but about helping the poor oppressed Iraqi people to boot Saddam out and get a lovely new democracy.

They could use the same reasons for going into Sudan and the rest of the world might actually believe it was for the reasons stated and not to take control of natural resources.

Bascially millions of people around the world are under threat from their own government and America picked Iraq out of them all.
    Why Iraq and not one of the others?
    Are America going to get around to fixing all of the other countries when they're done making Iraq into a shiny new democracy?
    Are they hell.

Originally posted by mike65
    ...and once again Sovtek responds with student philosophy.

/me is wondering where you conjured that from.

Originally posted by p
    Well what are you going to do about it?

Quit supporting murderous dictators like Mobutu and "anti-communist rebels" like UNITA, as well as military aid to authoritarian governments that denied the vote to the majority of the population (National Party).
    Forgive all IMF and WTO loans. Let them plant the crops they need instead of the ones we want to pay nothing for. Humanitarian assistance that doesn't have like strings attached.
    Take back patents on AIDS drugs that we paid for and allow them to man them locally in African countries.
    Either stop agricultural subsidies or quit trying to force African countries from doing so.
    Allow them to decide their own economic system and not punish them when they do.
    Thats a start anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Moriarty
    People seem to ignore the hypocrisy in berating the US from intervening when european forces have intervened in these situations far less.

Typical really, if they do something its wrong if they do nothing its wrong. There has been some Euopean intervention in recent years- France and the UK in west Africa.
    Its time Africa starting looking after itself a bit.

Mike.

ps Sovtek - sorry. :)

Originally posted by mike65
    Typical really, if they do something its wrong if they do nothing its wrong. There has been some Euopean intervention in recent years- France and the UK in west Africa.
    Its time Africa starting looking after itself a bit.

Mike.

ps Sovtek - sorry. :)

No prob.
    I think it's a little more complicated than "damned if you do damned if you don't".
    It's when presidents stand up and say "we're doing this to liberate the people of --place weak under-developed country here--" but meanwhile they've supported the oppresive regime of said country for x number of years whilst the worst crimes were committed. It also happens to coincide with a relative few people's business interest and strategic advantage.
    People around the world say "no this isn't right", then the president says "you're all appeasers".
    Then when a situation comes along where the people --place name of under developed country here-- do need liberating and don't happen to have something of strategic or economic advantage US sits around and says "that's an internal matter".
    I'd also say some of the more recent actions by the UK and France are of a little different nature than whats going on in Iraq...Afghanistan, Panama, Grenada, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Guatemala.
    That's not trying to suggest that historically Europe isn't innocent when it comes to Africa either. Belgium, Britian, Portugal and France come to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

BTW, I don't think this is "worse" than rwanda, if it's even possible to make that distinction with genocide, given that rwanda saw 800,000 killed in a hundred days while this isn't approaching that rate of carnage.

Granted, but its worse for that fact that after Rwanda there was a lot of soul searching and "never again" again - Rwanda was the watershed and this sort of thing wouldnt be tolerated anymore. In that light, maybe Sudan is worse because after all that chit chat there still isnt any real concern. There is a distinct lack of credibility when nations and international organisations make be long winded speechers about freedom and democracy and human rights and then when its time to actually do more than talk....they vanish.
    What we seem to see so often in Africa is ethnic/tribal warfare carried out with modern weapons. Very very sad.

Tribal loyalties seem to be far stronger in most parts of Africa than national loyalties, with most nations simply being articificially created on the basis of who had colonised a particular region rather than the cultural/tribal identity of the people living there. If you could go back and divide up Africa on more mono-cultural lines then maybe half the trouble wouldnt be there, but then if my aunty was my uncle....
    Damned if you do .... damned if you don't ... but still better than being a leftist either way.

If its the correct action to take then it should be taken, regardless of whether you win the popularity contest or not. The US, Europe in general, Australia, South Africa, Japan and other developed/free "western" nations have immense power and influence and should be using this to pursue moral polices - which includes not tolerating the sort of medeival genocide which is taking place in Sudan. Its in their own long term interests as well - Saddam shows the benefit of short term "the enemy of my enemy" logic.

Of course the US can feel victimised as it is the whipping boy for the sins of the world. Not to say it hasnt sinned but youll rarely see as bitter a tirade against it and its policies as youll see against, say France. France participated in the supposed coup on haiti, committing troops to the occupation force, but the only ones getting the bad press for this apparrent coup are the US.
    Yep, but US as yet to prove the world that they went Iraq for their freedom and democracy.

They dont have to "prove" it to anyone. They either pursue a just and correct strategy or they dont. History will judge it in the end.
    My point is if Sudan was as oil rich as Iraq,

Sudan does have oil reserves- its half the reason for the civil war. The US is trying to diversify its oil dependancy away from the troublesome gulf region ( hence the Caspian sea pipeline and others ). For a foreign policy which is a slave to oil ( Welcome to the 21st century ) all the ingredients are there for a full on invasion....why arent we seeing it.

Ill help you out - its possibly because the US is at full stretch trying to maintain itself in Iraq whilst also maintaining enough reserves to keep the North Koreans and the Chinese in their respective boxes, precluding the possibility of further oil adventures in the short term. At this point youd imagine the EU or the UN would step forward to create safe areas for civillians and defend them - rather than scarper the first time bad guys show up.
    Why Iraq and not one of the others?

Why not Iraq? Why one of the others? Another question, seeing as the US is busy in Iraq to the point where theres grumbling in the reserves over having to spend months/years abroad in a military base away from family and friends....Why the US? Why not the EU? The EU is not vassal of the US, just because the US isnt going in doesnt mean it cant.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by sovtek
    Quit supporting murderous dictators like Mobutu and "anti-communist rebels" like UNITA, as well as military aid to authoritarian governments that denied the vote to the majority of the population (National Party).
    Forgive all IMF and WTO loans. Let them plant the crops they need instead of the ones we want to pay nothing for. Humanitarian assistance that doesn't have like strings attached.
    Take back patents on AIDS drugs that we paid for and allow them to man them locally in African countries.
    Either stop agricultural subsidies or quit trying to force African countries from doing so.
    Allow them to decide their own economic system and not punish them when they do.
    Thats a start anyway.

When I asked the question, I meant what were 'you' as an individual going to do. Not what 'we' should do.

I see many people giving out about the EU/UN/whatever doing nothing, but doing nothing but complain on a message board.

If you really want things to get fixed, write letters, join organisations etc...

This forum should be filled with suggestions on how to help this situation in addition to highlighting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

At this point youd imagine the EU or the UN would step forward to create safe areas for civillians and defend them - rather than scarper the first time bad guys show up.

If the members of the Security Council would give the UN a mandate to send an armed security force, they'd go. If any UN staff have 'scarpered' it's because they're civilians - would you prefer they stayed and defended themselves with pencils and paper?

The UN can only do what it is mandated by its member countries to do. The logical solution to your complaints is for the UN to have a large standing army to intervene forcefully in cases like this. Personally, I'd like to see that too.

Originally posted by p
    If you really want things to get fixed, write letters, join organisations etc...

This forum should be filled with suggestions on how to help this situation in addition to highlighting it.

For all you know, people are doing those things. But this is a discussion board, where people discuss things. Asking "But what are you doing about it, eh?" is just dumb. We're talking about it, that's what we're doing. That's what people everywhere do. And yes, it's just talk, it doesn't get anything done by itself. If this upsets you so much, just don't join in.

shotamoose - That's a cop out of a rebuttal.

Yes, people might be doing it, and if they are that's great.

If they're not though, then what I brought up is very relevent to the topic at hand.

But you can ask "what are you doing about it?" about anything. Why aren't people writing letters and protesting about every single issue on this board? Why aren't you doing something about it right now instead of wasting time here?

Originally posted by p

You seem to be assuming that people like myself have not/am not doing those things.

Ok then what do you suggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Originally posted by sovtek

Forgive all IMF and WTO loans.

Most of the IMF and WTO loans were used to buy weapons, if we forgive all these debts a lot of these countries will just borrow more to buy more weapons to sort their "internal security issues".

Africa suffers from bad government, if we drop the debt they will never learn, we could of course suspend the debt until they get back on their feet but they seem so incapable of governing themselves I can see why the banks won’t wait for this.

Zimbabwe was the bread basket of Africa up to a few years ago then Robert lost the plot and now all their productive farms are lying idle and the people are starving.
    I can’t see anyone cancelling their debt can you?

If Europe is to blame for all of these problems then sending troops back in to sort these places out will be called the "return of the imperialists" won't it?

Originally posted by Nuttzz
    Most of the IMF and WTO loans were used to buy weapons, if we forgive all these debts a lot of these countries will just borrow more to buy more weapons to sort their "internal security issues".

Could everyone make even a minimum of effort to get their facts straight.

Firstly the WTO don't give out loans.

Secondly the IMF only became the main lender to Third World countries AFTER the debt crisis exploded due to a massive hike in private sector interest rates around the world. Private sector banks had previously gone on a lending spree to Third World countries at effectively negative interest rates, but when it became clear that Third World countries couldn't possibly pay back their debts at sky-high interest rates the banks dug their heels in, used their political clout in the rich countries and were effectively bailed out by the IMF.

Thirdly, as far as I'm aware 'most' loans were not used to buy weapons. If you have a source for this claim I'd like to see it, otherwise kindly drop it. A lot of money was spent on arms and a lot of it was simply nicked by dictators - so please tell me why should this generation pay for the crimes of their former oppressors, many of whom were effectively bankrolled by one or both of the two superpowers at the time?? After all, the Saddam-era debt of Iraq is being mostly cancelled, so why not do the same for the debts ran up by African and South American dictators?

Fourthly, the evidence shows that where Third World debt has been cancelled the extra money has been spent on improving health and education for the poor. So to refuse to cancel the unpayable debt of the poorest countries is effectively the same as taking medicines from their sick and education from their children.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by shotamoose
    Firstly the WTO don't give out loans.

I think people are getting the Word Bank and the World Trade Organisation confused there.

Private sector banks had previously gone on a lending spree to Third World countries at effectively negative interest rates, but when it became clear that Third World countries couldn't possibly pay back their debts at sky-high interest rates the banks dug their heels in, used their political clout in the rich countries and were effectively bailed out by the IMF.

Yeah - a large part of the IMFs funding does seem to go to bail out western creditors for existing debt. This is dealt with quite extensively by Stiglitz in "Globalisation and its Discontents".

jc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

http://www.debtireland.org (a drop the debt website)
    Some of the money was spent on badly designed development projects, or on projects that produced very low rates of return, thereby making repayment difficult. However, substantial amounts of money either went to purchase arms, or into the private bank accounts of corrupt dictators

some of the money
    > not more than 50%

substantial amounts of money
    > more than some
    so please tell me why should this generation pay for the crimes of their former oppressors

FF racked up a rake of debt in the 70's & 80's, why did I as a taxpayer since the late 80's have to pay high taxes to service the national debt that my parents generation borrowed. Please Mr Bank its not my fault. Your debts dont die with you BTW.

They still should have to repay it, the lending institutions could suspend repayments or charge 0% interest on them until they get back on their feet (as i said earlier)

Advertisement