Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equipment for lighting Dark Fibre

Options
  • 19-03-2004 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know an exact list of hardware that would be required to light dark fibre for internet data usage? I had a look on the internet and couldn't find such an exact list.

Many thanks,

Nick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

What exactly are you asking for? Do you want to setup a fibre optic link?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

Originally posted by Redshift
    What exactly are you asking for? Do you want to setup a fibre optic link?

Thanks for the reply.

I would be looking at getting a 100MBit chunk off the ESB and lighting it up for internet usage. Does that help?

Thanks,

Nick

So your buying capacity off the ESB and I assume bandwidth of an ISP. Have a look here http://www.rad-direct.com/Product-Family-fiber-mux.htm that may not be exactly what you need but that site has lot of stuff for different applications.

Many thanks for that RedShift. It is very much appreciated. Do you think it would be more cost effective, for that amount of bandwidth, to bypass an ISP? If that's possible.

Nick

I'm not sure about buying bandwith I would imagine you would be able to get it wholesale from eircom or someone like that or perhaps the esb themselves maybe able to provide you with it. But you're going to have to buy it in the form of T1 lines off someone with a link to the backbone. I think a T1 has 1.5mb/s of bandwidth and that is premium un-contended bandwidth. Do you actually need 100mb/s to the Internet? I think you maybe able to get a fibre link straight to the backbone aswell but you're probably talking mega bucks there.

• Advertisement

Well if I could avoid Eircom if at all possible that would be great. It must be cheaper to get straight onto the backbone then buying bandwidth off Eircom at that capacity. That might be something that would shake up the market a bit anyway. If a group of people got together and bought a few GBits of dark fiber and hooked it directly to the backbone there might be some money in it.

Many thanks for your advice.

Nick

No problem Nick, But have a think about what you really need in bandwidth terms 100mb/s is serious and many datacentres wouldn't even have close to that.

Good luck anyway.

Will do, I have a few weeks to mull it over.

All the best and thanks again.

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by MeatProduct
    It must be cheaper to get straight onto the backbone then buying bandwidth off Eircom at that capacity. That might be something that would shake up the market a bit anyway. If a group of people got together and bought a few GBits of dark fiber and hooked it directly to the backbone there might be some money in it.

Post this question in the IoffL forum, The ESB are the ones who will light the fibre and present it to you lit . They will charge handsomely for the lighting and will present in a way that will still require ethernet downconversion as I understand it.

The ESB will only deal with you if you are an ISP.

Your issues are

1. Licencing (to prove you are an ISP)
    2. Presentation (SDH probably)
    3. Quantity, 100Mbit is a lot they could also give you 34Mbit, where are you going to get an Internet port once you get to Dublin ? Public IP's ??
    4. Are you near a MAN ?

M

Originally posted by Muck
    Post this question in the IoffL forum, The ESB are the ones who will light the fibre and present it to you lit . They will charge handsomely for the lighting and will present in a way that will still require ethernet downconversion as I understand it.

The ESB will only deal with you if you are an ISP.

Your issues are

1. Licencing (to prove you are an ISP)
    2. Presentation (SDH probably)
    3. Quantity, 100Mbit is a lot they could also give you 34Mbit, where are you going to get an Internet port once you get to Dublin ? Public IP's ??
    4. Are you near a MAN ?

M

Many thanks Muck, that information was very helpful indeed. You highlighted a number of areas that I was not aware of.

Very much appreciated.

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

10/100Mbps to 100Base-FX Media Converter

http://www.alloy.com.au/products/fec107st.htm
    ... feature one fibre port using either "ST", "SC", "MT-RJ" or "VF-45" connectors, and one STP RJ-45 10/100Base-TX port ....
    In Full-duplex mode on FE-C107SC.S using single-mode fiber, transmission of up to 20/40/60Km is possible.
    FE-C107SC.S-60 Nway 10/100Mbps RJ-45 to 100Base-FX fibre Optic (SC) Converter (60Km) 3Year $ 460 Ex GST

Can this be true?
    2 boxes @ 460 aussie dollars, 10/100 cable and power at each end and you can light up 60Km of dark fibre..

Wow. There must be a need for additional hardware surely, that's just too cheap. It's amazing if that's it though.

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

The cost per end for lighting single mode fibre using 1000Base LX is down to about €500 nowadays.

1000Base LX will do between 10 and 70 KM depending on th emanufacturer of the end bits. The end bits are GBICS , most decent switches have a slot for a GBIC which is about the size of a matchbox.

M

Great, many thanks Muck.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Originally posted by Redshift
    I'm not sure about buying bandwith I would imagine you would be able to get it wholesale from eircom or someone like that or perhaps the esb themselves maybe able to provide you with it. But you're going to have to buy it in the form of T1 lines off someone with a link to the backbone. I think a T1 has 1.5mb/s of bandwidth and that is premium un-contended bandwidth. Do you actually need 100mb/s to the Internet? I think you maybe able to get a fibre link straight to the backbone aswell but you're probably talking mega bucks there.

T1's generally aren't offered on this side of the atlantic. More common are E1's, operating at 2.048 Mbps. Then you've got E2's at 8.192 Mbps (4xE1) and E3's at ~34 Mbps. All available at insane amounts of money and massive lead times.
    (We (E1) multiplex 32*64k channels per line, they only use 24 (T1). One channel may be reserved for signalling etc.)

Advertisement