Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL router with useless security... (ADDON MC8000UE)

• 19-03-2004 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭

I bought a router/DSL modem in Mapplin, its an ADDON MC8000UE.
    Everything looked okay until I did a portscan from the outside (internet)
    It showed the ports 23 80 254 255 were open.
    Port 23 is a telnet remote admin port, its visible from the outside and can't be disabled, it needs a password to get in so its not too bad.
    Port 80 is the webadmin port and although it can be disabled it doesn't close the port but rather it just gives the user an error message.
    But the worst port is port 254 which has a telnet admin interface with NO password on it. Looks like some sort of BACK DOOR. Anyone from the internet can telnet in here with no passoword and mess about with my settings.

I'm bringing this piece of junk back to the shop and I'd recommend that anyone else who has one does the same. I also could not find a firmware update for the device as the company doesn't seem to have a website.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 XcellorV2

shssssssssssss be quietttttt someone might see what you've typed and start exploiting people with that router ;P

Thems hackers do be everywheres

har har har...

What a crap router... and I thought the one IOL shipped was fairly insecure at lest you can configure it!!

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by bricks
    I'm bringing this piece of junk back to the shop and I'd recommend that anyone else who has one does the same. I also could not find a firmware update for the device as the company doesn't seem to have a website.
    http://www.addon-tech.com/download.htm

No firmware updates, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 passerby

Forward the offending ports to an internal IP address (perhaps to a particular port) - e.g. a machine running iptables or other software firewall. Block this port. Problem solved. This router is prone to overheating and dropping connections when using full DMT.

You can get updated firmware at http://210.59.238.49:8080/addon/addon%20tech.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Originally posted by passerby
    Forward the offending ports to an internal IP address (perhaps to a particular port) - e.g. a machine running iptables or other software firewall. Block this port. Problem solved. This router is prone to overheating and dropping connections when using full DMT.

Thanks for that info.
    The port forwading seems to do the trick.
    I seem to allready have the latest firmware.

full DMT?

• Advertisement

Discrete multitone (DMT) - the modulation ADSL scheme. I've had better luck with G. Lite (a subset of DMT) that trains faster and doesn't seem to desync so easily. I think it is designed for use without microfilters (self install) or splitter (engineer install) - full DMT should be better though. However, G. Lite might be more robust when there are multiple bridge taps, i.e. multiple extensions carrying the ADSL signal for a self install (to be used without low pass filters, the scheme must cope with ringing, off hook etc.). There is also an option "bit swapping" (may only work with Alcatel central office equipment) which I think allows an ADSL connection to reallocate tones across subbands without restarting the connection - beter noise handling. I am not sure of this. Or it may mean that a lower bit rate is attempted - making RADSL out of ADSL? I'd have to look up the spec to say for sure. Guess I have a marginal line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Preparation-G

Is there a cream for that? :confused:

I suppose if you swap your bits then a creme might be necessary. :rolleyes:

By the way, G. Lite does not seem to have been the panacea that I expected. The ADSL connection still seems to lose sync once or more every day, during the morning. Obviously, there is some interference or other line degradation that quick retraining (perhaps using different subbands) cannot fix. Not sure what is causing this.

Advertisement