Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayday events.

Options
  • 19-03-2004 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hows it going,

I wont cut and paste the list of the Mayday weekend events planned for fear of being called a spammer, but you can click on the link below to see the plans for the weekend, just curious to hear what all the right-wingers on boards.ie think of the whole thing.

http://geocities.com/eufortress

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

OK a couple of things here. You only seem to use this site when you want to "advertise" one of your meetings.

I am not a right winger I would be centre left if anything but I do find some of things that are planned too confrontational. Painting private property is a crime and by doing so you are creating a potential flashpoint with the authorities, is that the aim? And please don't say its a symbolic protest because any intelligent person can see it is going to cause a problem.

Also I see no reference on that site to peaceful protest only, infact the links about "protecting yourself against tear gas" and "protecting yourself against a baton charge" suggest that you expect trouble, does that mean that you advocate violent protest and destruction of property as a means to get your point across?

I am also curious are you still a student? Or do you work for a living?

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

I think it is very dangerous to do the things outlined above, especially in the light of Bush's forces seeking diblomatic immunity when he visits. You are giving them a reason.

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭dirty_latino

As somebody who sees themself as very much on the right hand side of the right wing I felt it was my duty to inform the Gardaí about this website. This has now been done.

On another note, I will now purposefully be in the City Centre on May 1 and if the "Dublin Grassroots Police Network" enter my vicinity I will be arrested by the real Gardaí for GBH!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

All yer crazy little thing does is waste gardai Time , Which is why yee protesters/hippies are the ones to blame for the lack of gardai to prevent stop/ crime . :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭dirty_latino

Good point, I concur my african american brother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭mobby

With regard to that website under the heading where can I stay
    If you're looking for something a bit more upmarket then you should consult the Irish Tourist Board, Bord Failte, they will be able to recommend a bed & breakfast or hotel for you.
    Maybe the Shelbourne or the Westbury ,Perhaps after the events of Paddys day Bord fáilte could market Dublin as the Tourist destination for rioting and mayhem on the streets.
    Bring on the Wombles in their White Suits (makes the Blood more dramatic you see)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by dirty_latino
    Good point, I concur my african american brother

surely u dont mean this about me ?
    White and born and raised in Ireland and still living here:o

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Originally posted by Big Ears
    surely u dont mean this about me ?
    White and born and raised in Ireland and still living here:o

Don't mind him. He was trolling from his mates computer and has been banned (from boards totally again!) just like the last time he did it. Quite sad really.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

just had a quick scan thru the web site and came accross the bit that sez everyone shud have the right to live and work wherever they like. Shurely even these bloody idiotic hippies can see this cant work. Fair enough there are a lot of people i the world living in poor counties but its not feasble to say they can just go elsewhere, i mena what happens if a couple of hundred million african people decide to descend on europe all at once, say maybe 5 r 6 million thro their dart in the european map and its lands on ireland. Its hard enough for the country to sustain 4 million people plus the comparitively small ( compared to a no borders world) amount on legal and illegal people coming in already. Now fair enough there are lazy people in the country , which is why there are jobs to be had, but if everyone got up off their arses 2moro id say theres just about a job for everyone, so what happens to these extra 5 r 6 million. Can you imagine a dole que 5 r 6 million deep? Whats the dole nowadays €100? so that €500m a WEEK that has to be produced. End result of all this would be a coolapse of the economy and then the people would just bugger off to aother country cos thered be no money/jobs to be had here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

NO BORDERS MAYDAY WEEKEND - DUBLIN, IRELAND
    Friday April 30th to Monday May 3rd

Everyone, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, or background is welcome to participate or observe these actions happening over the four days. We encourage people to participate to work towards a city, and a Europe, that values people above profit.
    PEOPLE ABOVE PROFIT!?? are you mad? do you sincerely think any state will ever take this point of view? your saying value migrants above the money you can save by not letting them sponge off our system put in place for our people using our taxpayers money? NO NO NO... you will not get any taxpaying sensible persons support on the imigrant issue. The simple solution is to put incoming countries under pressure to set up proper social services for their own people before they are allowed to join europe. Anyone else can just go somewhere else, we had to struggle to make our govts put these wheels in motion over the last 100 years, why should other countrys shortcut it and avoid it by sending their seething penniless masses to live off our hides? EU should put nigeria and other african countries ,russian states,china, etc under more and more human rights pressures using sanctions etc to force them to realise they cannot ignore their people anymore.

CRITICAL MASS:
    useless pathetic request to remove private transport. until we have the public transport infrastructure in place this is a complete waste of time.

HOMES NOT JAILS:
    OK, i agree with this one. but are you occupying a building illegally? this isnt very wise... cant you see the reaction??? "the activists are intimidating the gardai again by breaking the law... again."

PUBLIC BEATINGS STREET THEATRE:
    Whats this about? the govt isnt hard enough on criminals, should be three strikes your out policy, ive a pain inmy ar*e reading about manslaughter or murder charges being equated to 4 or 8 years in prison, as far as im concerned, you take a life you do the time Life should mean LIFE!!! the lenient sentences and chances for parole send out completely the wrong message to criminals.

THE POLLUTER PAYS:
    silly, bring your packaging back to the producer?? if theres no law that says they should recycle it, why waste your time bringing it back, theyll just throw it away anyways. If you feel strongly enough, try encouraging people to just refuse to buy from a producer that doesnt recycle.

RECLAIM THE CITY:
    Again, i hope this is all above board reclaining of land?? youve seen what happens when people take posession of private land before... do you want to go down this road again?

BRING THE NOISE!
    Do you seriously think you will get past the gardai (backed up no doubt by the army if needed) to get within half a mile of the front door?! this also is silly. these people are guests of ireland, give them the respect they deserve as heads of our friendly neighbouring states. Make a petition and bring it to the front door officially in a peaceful manner. "Fortress Europe" will not go down well... your basically saying we are becoming a Nazi state?! wake up, we dont have enough infrastructure in place in europe to handle our own populations problems, how the hell do you expect us to fund useless unskilled immigrants???

NO BORDERS, NO NATIONS - NO BORDER CAMP:
    again, wheres the money to come from to pay for these migrants? you want an increase in taxes???
    NO BORDERS RECLAIM THE STREETS: The only party worth joining in town! Reclaim The Streets happens again on the May bank holiday to wind down the weekend. Unlike the State's street party, everyone from around the world is welcome to come to Dublin for this, not just those that satisfy the demands of Fortress Europe. Expect music and dancing, drinking and face painting,
    you forgot VIOLENCE AND RIOTING. :rolleyes:

:dunno:

How about a "RECLAIM THE STREETS FROM THE PROTESTORS" protest? we'd easily get double or triple the ammount of people you got at the stupid anti war demos... i mean imagine there was someone at the dublin anti war demo on sat from sinn fein suggesting its wrong to use armed agression to meet political goals!! what a JOKE!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

Originally posted by Morphéus
    we'd easily get double or triple the ammount of people you got at the stupid anti war demos...

Wow, well done. "stupid anti war demos". I'm impressed.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Aragh I wouldn't worry about these protesters.
    The protestors are mostly students who only believe in these things for as long as they're in college and need to feel more important then being a student usually allows.

After three years being a protestor they all want the same things; mortgages, BMW's, holidays in the sun and widescreen TV's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Sleipnir

After three years being a protestor they all want the same things; mortgages, BMW's, holidays in the sun and widescreen TV's.

Soooo true.

Mike.

ps I'd give the mayday riots a wide brith this year as they'd be the perfect event for an Al Qaeda cell to make a big splash with.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Flucking Mayday is depressing from all sides. The Left provoke trouble and then whinge about it, and the Right make ill-concieved overreactions that provoke the Left into provoking trouble. The would-be Mayday marchers need to realise that a) Many guards sympathise but have to do what they swore to. b) Nobody is going to really listen to what you are trying to say if you say while throwing things through a McDonalds' window. The Right need to realise that a) The marchers really are trying to say something and they feel like nobody's listening. b) If they overreact, it'll be counterproductive. And everybody needs to remember that the opposition has a right to express their opinions, however dumb they sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 redflaremist

Originally posted by gandalf
    OK a couple of things here. You only seem to use this site when you want to "advertise" one of your meetings.

I could say that's because the level of intelligent and constructive debate (see posts below) that stems from posts on this board is questionable. http://www.thumped.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=12161 is a better example of people being critical but intelligent about it.
    I am not a right winger I would be centre left if anything but I do find some of things that are planned too confrontational. Painting private property is a crime and by doing so you are creating a potential flashpoint with the authorities, is that the aim? And please don't say its a symbolic protest because any intelligent person can see it is going to cause a problem.

Of course its a symbolic protest. The red paint is a symbol for the blood of the people that the US Military has killed over the past four decades in various wars and campaigns, with the help of Irish businesses and institutions. You think that Iraq and Afghanistan were the first wars that Shannon was used as a refueling base for? Vietnam, even Korea... Surely that's a crime.

(The smart alec answer to this is of course: "Painting private property" is NOT a crime - I painted my house last week in broad daylight and nobody called the cops on me... ho ho..)

Also I see no reference on that site to peaceful protest only, infact the links about "protecting yourself against tear gas" and "protecting yourself against a baton charge" suggest that you expect trouble, does that mean that you advocate violent protest and destruction of property as a means to get your point across?
    I am also curious are you still a student? Or do you work for a living?

Nowhere on the site advocates violent protest. I hope there is no "trouble" at any of the actions but those links are there for people to prepare themselves in case the Gardai decide to beat people up or attack them without provocation - its happened before. Those links are defensive tactics and not offensive in any way.

And lastly, what difference does it make what I do for a living? Either way, if I was unemployed, working in a factory, a student, sitting behing a PC all day in an office, or whatever, the message within each of these actions remains the same, and also, it really is absolutely none of your business - I dont care what anyone on a bulletin board does for a living but I'm willing to listen to a debate that doesnt descend to personal insults, inquries, and derision (or "flaming", I think you call it).

I felt that a certain degree of violent protest, while not directly advocated, was implied to be acceptable by the site.

Oh my god. Its happened. I've turned into my mother already...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

The 'constructive debate' you mention on thumped.com is decidedly one-sided and therefore not worthy of the title "debate"
    Besides, Boards.ie is open to discussion of all the facets of life, not just one particular subject. That would tend to get boring very quickly.

I could say that's because the level of intelligent and constructive debate (see posts below) that stems from posts on this board is questionable.

If you can't take the heat as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

redflaremist,

Your Europe Without Borders campaign is possibly the most naive, ill-thought I've seen yet. Most people know the values that immigration and multi-culturalism can bring to Ireland, I don't need to repeat them here. But your organisation has taken such an extreme view (that there should be no borders, and no immigration controls whatsoever) that you've almost removed yourself and your views from any hint of reality. If fact, you're so extreme, you're practically on a par with the Immigration Control Platform in terms of your ability to gather popular support.

The rest of the May Day "Celebrations" are the usual list of Flavour of the Month Left-Wing issues - anti-bin tax, reclaim the city, etc. You'll get the usual band of communists, rich students and crusties attending, while about 99% of everyone else will either laugh at you, or ignore you.

See, you've gone and proved him right there. His point was that debates here tend to descend to attacks on the poster rather than the issue. The above posts are intensely condescending, and insulting to him personally. If you want to attack his debating techniques, thats fine but...

Actually, I disagree - my post concerned the issues that they're promoting, rather than the poster. I don't see where I attacked the poster.

• Advertisement

Sorry, your post appearred while I was typing.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by jill_valentine
    His point was that debates here tend to descend to attacks on the poster rather than the issue.

And my point would be that there is a facility for complaining about such activity to the moderators who's job it is to then decide whether or not action is needed.

Now, seeing as I've been a moderator on this forum since its creation, I can say with some authority that there has never been a significant amount of posts reported on any thread, let alone one which pertains to RTS and/or other such events....which tend to be highly busy in nature.

Secondly, debates here do not tend to descend into attacks on the poster. They may descend into attacks on the ideology, but thats a seperate issue. How do I know this? Because its my job to make sure that they don't.
    See, you've gone and proved him right there. His point was that debates here tend to descend to attacks on the poster rather than the issue. The above posts are intensely condescending, and insulting to him personally.

I'm looking at the posts between your previous post and that one, and I can't see a single one which attacks the poster. They attack the ideology, the thinking behind the protest, and many other issues, but not the person offering them.

Leaving that aside, however, I would also point out that amongst all of those highly insulting posts, there isn't a single one which either you or the person you are defending have seen fit to actually report as being unacceptable to you.

You think you're insulted? I'm insulted that you could be so condescending as to come in here and complain about how this board fails to live up to the rules and conditions which it sets, and yet couldn't be bothered using the system in place which is designed to allow the board to live up to said rules you are bemoaning the failure of.

Given that I'm responsible for both the creation and the enforcement of those rules, I take your bemoaning their failure coupled with your demonstrated unwillingness to use them before bemoaning their failure to be incredibly insulting.

And to top it all off, having singularly failed to make use of the system available to you, and yet complain about its failure....here you are seeking to encourage others to get involved in a fight against another system!!!

Tell me - is this also a system you have decided to fight against without bothering to give it a chance to see if working within the framework of the system can lead to improvement, or are we here on this forum just a special case in that way???

Or am I being too insulting and condescending for you by presuming to take an attribute you've already clearly demonstrated and applying it to a comparable situation?

Let me make this clear. This is a non-ideologically-aligned board. You are as welcome to come here and discuss/defend your point of view as anyone else is.

If you choose that you don't want to come here and discuss things, then thats your perogative. But if you make that decision, then you are most certainly not welcome to use this board as a location to post your advertising.

jc

jc

Whoa. Thats an awful lot of English. But I'll give it a shot.

Firstly, if I thought the post justified reporting it, I would have done so. But I don't, so I didn't. I don't believe in reporting posts unless they're something flamey, which they aren't. I'm not attacking your competence as a moderator.

Secondly, since this thread has become something of a debate, points raised in it are subject to question. I questioned the validity of the responses in the expectation of posts to explain those positions more or to question my own response, rather than to condemn everybody to everlasting hellfire for ever, and ever amen. I'm willing to change my stance if somebody can change my mind. So if I appeared condescending, I apologise, I'm used to arguements being resolved verbally among the posters themselves, from other forums where the mods take a less hands-on approach.

Though I'll add that one of the above posts appears to have been edited...Something about a whipped puppy as I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by jill_valentine
    Firstly, if I thought the post justified reporting it, I would have done so. But I don't, so I didn't.

Sure. But our rules say that if you have a problem with a post, report it and do not reply to it. The converse of this must also hold true - if you do not report, and do reply, then you must not have a problem with the post.

Now that simply doesn't gel with your and Redflamerest's previous comments, where the offered reason not to engage in discussion the allegation that the discussions do exactly what the rules say is not acceptable.

Now which is it? Either they're a problem, or they're not.
    I'm not attacking your competence as a moderator.
    Yes, you are. You are complaining that this board falls short on the very things that the rules say is not acceptable. We do not allow personal attacks, and you say that conversations descend into that.

So clearly, the moderators must be failing in their implementation of those rules, or the rules themselves are not sufficient - which again is a criticism of the moderators seeing as we wrote them.

So I'm afraid you are attacking my competence unless, as I said, you wish to revise your position, and no longer support the notion that these particular failures are a valid excuse not to engage in debate here,

I questioned the validity of the responses

Did you? Lets just recap on what you said :
    See, you've gone and proved him right there. His point was that debates here tend to descend to attacks on the poster rather than the issue.

I see no question there.

In fact, I would dare say that alleging something proves something else automatically precludes the possibility of it being a question.
    So if I appeared condescending, I apologise,
    Apology accepted.
    I'm used to arguements being resolved verbally among the posters themselves, from other forums where the mods take a less hands-on approach.
    Now I'm getting more and more confused.

1) You allege that this board descends into personal insult etc., despite such things being clearly against our rules.

2) You admit that the mods here have a more hands-on approach than other forums (fora?).

3) And yet are trying to tell me that you are not attacking the competence of the moderators here?

I can't see any way that 1 and 2 can both be correct unless you are attacking the competence of the mods. We interfere more often, succeed less, but are not incompetent?
    Though I'll add that one of the above posts appears to have been edited...Something about a whipped puppy as I recall.
    It hasn't been reported....nor quoted...nor did I see it before it was edited. I'm not doubting you, but there's not much that I can do.

Maybe someone had a dose of cop-on and realised that what they had posted wasn't the smartest thing to be saying. It does happen frmo time to time - I'm prone to it myself on occasion.

jc

<edit>I've realise some things I attributed to jill were, in fact, from Redflamerest. I've reworded accordingly<edit>

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Any chance of the bitching bout the forum being put to one side for a second, im interested in a decent response from the original poster. Myself and a couple of others responded to points on the site s/he linked to but as yet s/he has yet to actually respond to the issues raised. How does s/he defend the arguement that no borders would lead to caos/ downfall of the economy? not to mention the fact that they are proposing criminal damage by painting private property. How would s/he feel if i decided to paint his/her house a colour of my choice because i feel i have a reason. Or maybe if they have a car that has cost them a lot of money and i decide to paint that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Preparing for street demonstrations
    As we have said above in the call for people to participate in the actions, everyone is welcome to join in regardless of their age, gender, ethnicity or background. We respect diversity, and people from the Grassroots Dublin Network will also respect people's decisions regarding which level of action they want to pursue. All choices will be accomodated in every environment - we will be looking out for everyone and making sure that those who want to observe from a safe zone will be protected.

Perhaps the poster would like to elaborate on what exactly the above means/implies....

Do you condone any "level of action"?
    How do you propose to accomodate all choices?
    Will you be providing weapons of some sort?
    And what's all this about a "safe zone"?

I don't think the poster (redflaremist) has ever actually discussed any of the issues he's advertised on Boards.ie. Perhaps he fears real debate, rather than a one-sided agree-fest that would dominate any of their meetings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Redleslie

Originally posted by ReefBreak
    redflaremist,

Your Europe Without Borders campaign is possibly the most naive, ill-thought I've seen yet.
    Dunno bout that. A few decades ago the idea of the EU would have sounded quite inconceivably mad and dangerous but there it is. On May 1st another 10 states will join, while Turkey and the Russians also want in. So there'll be what, 750 million (?) people free to move, trade and work freely. Can anyone say for definite that the EU, or whatever it'll change its name to in the future, won't keep expanding its borders over the next few decades? Personally I think that the concept of the nation state is in rapid decline anyway and is in the process of being replaced by corporate power on the one hand and smaller more autonomous communities on the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Originally posted by Redleslie
    Dunno bout that. A few decades ago the idea of the EU would have sounded quite inconceivably mad and dangerous but there it is. On May 1st another 10 states will join, while Turkey and the Russians also want in. So there'll be what, 750 million (?) people free to move, trade and work freely. Can anyone say for definite that the EU, or whatever it'll change its name to in the future, won't keep expanding its borders over the next few decades? Personally I think that the concept of the nation state is in rapid decline anyway and is in the process of being replaced by corporate power on the one hand and smaller more autonomous communities on the other.

I must be very naive but I find it interesting that people are so scared of open borders while companies move around the globe virtually at will.
    It's actually what humans have done for most of the time we've been on this planet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Originally posted by Tommy Vercetti
    Perhaps the poster would like to elaborate on what exactly the above means/implies....

Do you condone any "level of action"?
    How do you propose to accomodate all choices?
    Will you be providing weapons of some sort?
    And what's all this about a "safe zone"?

Let's hope the Gardai get their act together this time.

Not like that May Day fiasco a couple of years ago. While I enjoy seeing a hippy getting a good beating as the next man what worries me is that the cops lost control. They were just lashing out at anything.

Compare that to the way the Metropolitan Police have handled these events in London over the last couple of years. Its restrained, disciplined, they are in control not the protestors who get themselves corralled into Oxford Circus where they can't do any harm.

If I was an anarcist troublemaker and I had seen any video of May Day Dublin 2002 I would be looking
    forward to getting over here and stirring serious sh|t because on that evidence I would believe that the cops here would not be able to handle another Gothenburg or Turin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement