Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home page problem

Options
  • 19-03-2004 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Im running Windows 2000 & IE5. My home page has changed to www.4-counter.com. Everytime i try to change it back to google it keeps going back to 4-counter. I had this problem before and cwshredder sorted it for me but it won't work this time. Any ideas how to solve this problem ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Seems some dodgy adware has taken over IE.
    Use either of these to remove it.

Spybot Seek & Destroy

AdAware

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

Thanks but neither of those worked unfortunately. It appears my registry has been changed. Any more ideas ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭aclane

Try the free online virus scan at http://www.trendmicro.com
    Picks up some adware and spyware too.

It's helped me a few times!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

You could always run regedit and search for all references to www.4-counter.com and replace them with google.com or delete them as you see fit.

I've searched the registry and replaced all 4counter.com with google but that didn't work. I also tried deleting all keys with reference to 4counter but everytime i restart my pc 4counter just appears again ???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Well there might be something in your startup that's resetting it then.
    If you're running win98 or xp, you can run msconfig and go to the startup tab to check for anything suspicious looking... then remove it.
    Alternatively you can do this through regedit:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Generally if something there looks dodgy then it probably is.
    Also check your startup folder on your start menu.
    Delete all temporary internet files.
    Then delete/replace all references to the rubbish website again.
    Set your homepage manually in internet options.

It may also be worth checking what services are running just incase they've been really sneeky.
    (right-click my computer -> manage)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Its more than likely a .HTX running on startup.

Look in your Registry in the Startup and remove the entry. Also search your disk for .HTX files

Got it sorted lads, Thanks for all your replies. I hadn't kept my adaware as up to date as i should have :eek:

Advertisement