Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to set up Gaelic keyboard in WinXP?

Options
  • 20-03-2004 12:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

Anyone know how to get the Irish (Gaelic) keyboard set up in Windows XP?

I've tried google-ing around but to no avail. Got some websites that just tell you to use regional settings > language > add, but the only option is English-Irish which is no use.

Thanks folks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yeah, it'll be in the drop-down box underneath English (Ireland) ... in the Keyboard layout/IME box.
    Gaelic appears there for me at least, although I'm not sure if that's exactly what you're looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

That's where I figured it should be, but it's not there for me.
    At first I thought maybe Microsoft didn't include it with Windows XP Home for some strange reason, but then I checked my Windows XP Professional and it's not there either.

Here's what it looks like:
    regional-gaelic.gif

I bought the XP Pro in Ireland, and the XP Home came preinstalled on a Dell machine last week. None of them have an option for Gaelic keyboard layout. (input locale)

Do I need to install something else?
    Both XP's are fully up to date with the latest patches and service packs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Well I was talking about the drop-down box below the one you're in there.

temp1.jpg

Again, I don't know if that setting will do what you're after, since I'm not a big Irish speaker myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

That's the only thing available - English (Irish) with "Gaelic" keyboard. Basically, as far as I'm aware the only difference is with the way that accents are handled on the keyboard. If you're looking for a locale type setup, with Irish spell-checking, or menu interfaces and so on, you're out of luck. Though if you have Office XP you can have Irish spell checking, though you have to download the Add-in from the Microsoft site here .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

Oh I see, it's in the IME box :)

Thanks guys! That's what I wanted to find out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Is there such a thing as a Gaelic keyboard layout?

I've never heard of one before....I thought accents were achieved using the English (International) keyboard layout.

Guess you learn something new everyday!

There isn't a physical Gaelic keyboard. Nor an Irish one for that matter, just the UK one that we've adopted. You are given a choice of using a 'Gaelic' keyboard layout, which basically means that if you type certain characters, such as ' or ` or ^, followed by a vowel, you get the appropriate accented characters. Fine for typing Irish, but having to hit apostrophe followed by a space to get that character while typing in English can become a real pain. Suppose that's why they've made it easy to switch layouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Holding down ctrl and alt while pressing a vowel will easily give áéíóú on the UK keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

or for even 1 less button just press Alt Gr and the vowel

Yeah, the same thing applies under the Gaelic keyboard, was just pointing out what the differences are. It is really a bit pointless.

• Advertisement
Advertisement