Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Thanks unkel :)

Definitely wont be able to do it without the local Lords of AMD :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Very glad to see the improvement in performance you got with a bit of help from the local Lords of AMD: COL_LOKI and Dataisgod

lol , never had it put like that before !! :D

Part of the reason its a bit more noisy is because my case has 5 fans. I could control the speed of the fans and make it more silent.

I have the Xaser II case aswell with 5 fans and its noisey when there on full. I never bothered with the fan controller either . On your power supply there is connectors marked "fan only" ......... plug the fans into these and your PSU will regulate them for you, ie low speed when browsing the web, faster when playing games etc. Will cut your noise in half.
    Ohh and you can connect them in parallel, ie 3 fans to one connector etc...... hope this helps a little, was delighted when i found this out!!

And i think your right to hold off on Win64, when the bugs are ironed out (lol funny saying that about anything to do with windows but u know what i mean) will be a nice bonus!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Just curious to know what a good temp to have my overclocked barton 2500 (3200)at. Its been in the low 40s since i can remember but today it's staying steady at 53.

Sorry if this has been asked a billion times before just cant seem to find the info at the moment as my BB is crawling...(but thats another board!!!:D )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

No problems at all.

Temp's are awkward in a couple of ways and the limit etc will change from person to person. Also with different motherboards comes different readings, for instance comparing temps between my Abit and Asus board there was 8' degree's in the difference with the exact same setup!!

AMD chips handle Vcore & Heat better than intel chips, if you look at the max operating temp on the AMD site i think its 85' degree's which i find crazy. Id say it will run for all of an hour that high.

I try to keep my temps under 60'C but im using water cooling and am picky about temps. TBH id keep it under 65'C under load just to be safe.

Higher operating temps & Higher Vcore will reduce the life of your CPU !! That sounds like a really bad thing but consider a CPU lasts 10years, operating at a high Vcore & High temp it might last 3-5years.......... i know im not going to care much about it at that point as it can be replaced for pocket change.

Im currently running my chip at over 1.8v and have had it at 2.05v for a while, still running perfectly. You should download Prime95 and run the torture test for a while, this will test your overclock to make sure its totally stable and it will also let you know what your load temp is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Thanks COL_LOKI....

i've downloaded that Prime95 and i'll give it a go when i stop surfing!! Think the next thing on the agenda is a new power supply but that'll be a couple of weeks away!!!

Bloody hell this upgrading/overclocking malarky is darn addictive:)

Thanks again

p

PS: Oh yeah...i've also ordered that Gainward Hollywood@Home 7.1
    soundcard PCI, Retail....€19 for an average card. Not bad at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by COL_LOKI
    if you look at the max operating temp on the AMD site i think its 85' degree's which i find crazy. Id say it will run for all of an hour that high.

I think it is even as high as 95 degrees for some of the Athlon XP chips. You'd probably be surprised by the length of time it would live if constantly at this temp. Have never seen any firm figures from real tests, but it might still be a year or two :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by pekelly
    Bloody hell this upgrading/overclocking malarky is darn addictive:)

It's desperate :)

Advertisement