Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this possible?

• 20-03-2004 1:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭

My father has a Dell Dimension 8250 and is currently having a nightmare gettin RDRAM to upgrade it cos he bought it at a time when Dell used RDRAM(clever huh).

I was wondering if its possible to just change the motherboard in the Dell to an Abit and then stick in some DDR Ram, still using all the original components apart from the RDRAM? Will the Dell case do the job?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

i can;t see why not. I recently upgraded my computer, but i kept my old Gateway case, and it worked perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Your gona have a few problems,

1. The PSU may not work,

2. Reinstalling of the OS

3. Some Dell cases as far as I know dont comply to the ATX standard so you may have problems installing the new MB

All the other components would work just check out the following and you should be OK.

I hate DELL DESKTOPS:mad:

Thanks joePC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

I'm not too sure about this, but i dont think Dell use standard motherboard sizes - i think theyre a little smaller than normal ATX. Plus, on mine at least (Dimension 8200), the backing plate doesnt come off, so im not sure as to how you'd go about taking it off and fitting a new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

If you put a non-dell mobo into a dell box with a dell psu you will blow the shit out of one or both of them .... because dell have changed the outputs of the psu so you can only replace dell parts with dell parts (obviously doesnt apply to cpu, memory and cards) ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

You could get rdram here:
    http://www.pc-memory-upgrade.co.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Draupnir I ran into the exact same problem your in know about 8 months ago. I would suggest you find out how much the RDRAM upgrade is going to cost you and then post the price here. It may very well work out cheeper to just buy a new case, mobo and psu :D

Dell case's will not take non Dell mobo's and psu's so dont even think about going that route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Cheers Hobbes, its like 300 euro for 512mb of this crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Draupnir
    Cheers Hobbes, its like 300 euro for 512mb of this crap
    Even from Crucial?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

As the lads said: Dell use Non-ATX form factor Case, Motherboards and PSU's

You'll have to buy the RAM from dell OR buy its off the likes of www.pc-memory-upgrade.co.uk or www.shop4memory.com

Remember to get the 184-Pin modules in MATCHING PAIR's

RDRAM is expensive alright:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

i have the same system, and I upgraded the ram too, bought it from shop4memory.com

when i looked into the case the mobo seemed to be smaller than standard atx mobos, i may be wrong but i think Dell's mobos are smaller

• Advertisement

Dell's desktop cases are one of the best cases i've ever seen - design wise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Dimension uses 1066 not 800, so none of the komplett's memories are compatible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

You've probably got a Williemette Peintium4, whioch meas you can't get a motherboard for it.
    Just buy a new case, mobo, ram and CPU and keep everything else.
    You'll end up with a faster system anyways.

That Dell you have , as CyberGhost said is PC1066. Id recommend www.shop4memory.com over komplett.ie any day of the week for memory.:dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭daveJAM

Some Dell's use standard PSU's, some use one's with the pins rearranged. If you call Dell they'll be able to tell you if your's has a standard one or one with the pins rearranged. AFAIK you can buy Dell to regular convertors on places like ebay.

Still have the problem of the motherboard fitting the case properly:dunno:
    If it does, fair play to ya

dude just a buy new case, Dell cases aren't effective anyways! they heat up a lot! yea they look awesome! but aren't effective!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

is very expensive because its so dam rare for example its about its like 300 euro for 512mb and cost you about 300 for standard laptop with windows 7 on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 InquiringMind

I have 1gb (2x512mb) of RDRAM. It's Compaq branded Samsung ram, part number 103996-B21. It's never been used, I have no need for it and I have a desperate need for cash biggrin.gif

If anyone is interested in buying it, pm me with an offer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

I have 1gb (2x512mb) of RDRAM. It's Compaq branded Samsung ram, part number 103996-B21. It's never been used, I have no need for it and I have a desperate need for cash biggrin.gif

If anyone is interested in buying it, pm me with an offer

thx very much, I only replying other user above to helping out, i dont need RDRAM, my laptop Uses SODIMM DRR3 RAM 4Gs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,315 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

ZOMBIES EVERYWHERE

Don't you people check posting dates before you bump this stuff? @_@

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I think it's safe to say that RDRAM has gone the way of the floppy. Goodbye RDRAM....you held promise once. o/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement