Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunflowers

• 20-03-2004 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

I've decided that I'm going to grow some sunflowers from seed this year, but having very little experience in the gardening department I need some advice. So...

First of all, I'll be growing the plants indoors in pots so do I germinate the seeds first and then plant them, or do I just stick the seeds into some soil? I also presume this is the right time of year but do I need to get my skates on or should I wait a while.

Complete newbie here, so any advice in general would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Hip

Just what I was looking for, thanks Greenman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

plant in pots until at least 12" high. If you plant from seeds outdoor in the soil, as soon as the first 2 leaves apper, the slugs will get them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Hip

Thanks Lex, this is all good advice, keep it coming. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,415 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    plant in pots until at least 12" high. If you plant from seeds outdoor in the soil, as soon as the first 2 leaves apper, the slugs will get them.

I did this - planted my first ones out at about 6" tall, but a burst of frost did for them - grew a second lot indoors to over a foot tall then put them out - and one by one they've all been scoffed. Can snails/slugs really climb those thin stems to get at the leaves?

I'm very disappointed - this is a lot more tricky than I was expecting - schoolkids grow these things FFS!

• Advertisement
Advertisement