Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RPG Games

Options
  • 20-03-2004 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

What was the first RPG game you every played? What was your favourite?

My first one was Eye of the beholder on the Amiga. I was rather late to the RPG scene. Then on the PC it was Ultima VII. On the Vic20, I did have "The Wizard and the Princess" but I could never get out of the Maze. Pretty Hazy too as it's 20 years ago now. :(

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

you were late to the rpg scene with the amiga??? my first rpg was FFVII.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Well on the C64, I missed the entire genre... there. The closest thing to it that was RPG-ish was Defender of the Crown (and that's pulling a fast one). The Bard's Tale was supposed to be a class one for it's time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

first - diablo

favourite (and second:p ) - KOTOR

diablo was entertaining enough, in a mindless clicking way. i guess it was a bad ambassador for the rpg genre, given how much i ended up enjoying KOTOR after expecting more of the same...
    i've definitely got a thirst for more rpg action now:)

/edit
    now that i think of it, my first rpg game would have been hillsfar on the pc... i wouldn't rate that at all though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Pff, you young'uns... Final Fantasy VII? Try I or II. And even they're not truly old...

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

My first rpg was Might & Magic 3 on the Amiga, played from a humungous capacity 20MB external harddrive ...this was before the M&M series turned to shít.

My favourite would be Baldurs Gate 2 ...just got BG1 again, tempted to play the whole series through ....one last time ;)

• Advertisement

Do it, give in, it's still great. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Legend Of Zelda : Link's Awakening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

First-Can't remember, favourite-Fallout, It just rocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Hmm... Mine would probably have been Knightmare on the Amiga.
    Scared the friggin' bejaysis out of me, that did!

Some favorites would be:
    Morrowind
    Gothic 1 + 2 (Maybe even moreso 2, it was one of the rare sequals that improved on the original)
    Baldur's Gate
    Final Fantasy VII, rather obviously.
    Deus Ex
    Diablo 2 (In a mindless clicky sense)

Can't think what else really, but I'm sure there's many more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

First: Shining Force 2

Favourites (in order):

Suikoden 2
    Final Fantasy VII
    Final Fantasy VI
    Final Fantasy X
    Xenogears
    Grandia

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Does Magicland Dizzy count as an RPG? *L*
    Man i loved the Dizzy games. I miss that little egg. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

My first was The Lords of Midnight on the C64 - it came free on a Zzap 64 covertape and had me hooked for weeks. My favourites are Morrowing, FFVII and Terranigma.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I cant remember the first one i played :(

too young to have played any final fantasy before 7 when they came out , But i have played 1 in recent years and it was a master piece for its time.

I enjoyed the breath of fire games alot and legend of dragoon .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

my first rpg ever was probably pirate for the bbc micro, cool enough game although afaik it was impossible to complete.
    My first really good RPG was probably ultima 6, fairly class.
    My favourite RPG ever is ultima7 - I guess the serpent isle is the better part of it.
    Other favs would be, ultima underworld, eye of the beholder series, shadow of the beast, planescape torment. Damn there were loads of others , can't remember now.
    and Retr0gamer I must checkout xenogears, looks class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Damn, forgot to mention Planescape: Torment! What a fantastic game that was, and such a brilliant and engrossing plot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

my first RPG was Dungons and Dragons for the Amstrad 464 plus!

my fav RPGs:

1)FF VII
    2)Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    3)Baldur's Gate

Originally posted by Deadwing
    Does Magicland Dizzy count as an RPG? *L*
    Man i loved the Dizzy games. I miss that little egg. :(

Played Treasure Island Dizzy only last week. Ah, the memories. Every animated moving object you touch KILLS YOU.

Hmm, maybe it IS an RPG...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

The early FF's (Namely V) are better than VII.

Chrono Trigger is probably THE best RPG ever made imo. Simply awesome. Planetscape Torment, FFV, and Knights of the old republic (it's really damn good) ain't far behind though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

First RPG I ever played was probably The Legend Of Zelda for the NES. After that some mystery one I loved on the Mega Drive <dunno what it was though> and some phantasy star...

Loved Ultima 7 and Chronotrigger gotta admit. Finally playing FF7 now. On disc 3! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i tried briefly as i didn't own them, shining force i think it was on the mega drive and zelda on the snes hadn't a clue how to play them didn't think they where my type of game

got into the final fantasy series with VII, now have VIII, IX, X, XI and X-2. have morrowind and nwn to play also find them different though and don't really know what i'm doing in them more complicated for sure.

data

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

Originally posted by Cina

Chrono Trigger is probably THE best RPG ever made imo. Simply awesome.

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Cable

Cant remember my firsr... something on the C64 i think, favorite? easy; FF7... gota love it

Advertisement