Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NVidia & BF Vietnam

Options
  • 20-03-2004 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

I have a P4 3Ghz 1GB PC3200 and a FX5900xt and a nearly fresh WinXP install.

BFV is not running great at all. I was playing on the WLan yesterday and presumed it was a Lagging connection (which rarely happens). I had a game of the single player today and its no better.

I know from other posts people are having problems with the game and NVidia cards. Is it the new drivers or the game? and what problems are other NVidia owners having?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

What settings do you have it set to in the video etc.?

Should run no problem on that, and you should be able to have all graphics set to high/high enough.

Also make sure you have your connection setting setup correctly. In the Multiplayer Online/Internet part set the connection details on the bottom right to your connection. Default is 128k isdn i thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

I have it set on high which is the default for my setup. Its still bad.

I'd say im 100% sure its not a hadware problem , its either the NVidia drivers (which ive upgraded to 56.64) or BFV . Hopefully the future patches will iron out any issues.

On a lighter note ..... I like the game. It looks nice . the fire fights are alot improved over BF1942. I hope a DC is developed soon running on the engine. In saying that I am yet to get used to the helicopters. IMO although its near on imposible to hover or move from left to right in the choppers in DC I prefare the handling , I dont like being able to see the stick either it doesn't react to your control in real time like it should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

Originally posted by KeithD
    I dont like being able to see the stick either it doesn't react to your control in real time like it should.

just go to nose cam..its great view :D

as for hovering its easy in bfv :D cappin a flag is a nice feeling in a chopper..still im havin probs landing on slopes and continue to land sideways :(
    and today i dropped one of our tanks in the water by pressing a wrong button :( sorry dude

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

i enjoy killing you in helios :D

Originally posted by bizmark
    i enjoy killing you in helios :D

some of our Mi-8 Vs Huey mid air fights have been quite memorable :D

• Advertisement

:D fun alright your a good flyer

i think the hind rocks but is a bit sluggish and the firepower is second to none but i perfer the agility of the hueys..only 2 missles hurt but they are fun :D

was that you trying to get a cheap kill (hehe) when i stole the unarmed huey tonight? that was a good chase :D

:( ya that was me

But i only had half ammo left when i finaly cauth up to you + i only hit you one or two times as you where all over the place ....so i ran out of ammo and had to do a legger to the base

Git

thank God..I was trying every trick in the book and couldn't shake you :D I breathed a sigh of relief when you had gone but got promptly shot down :D

who shot you down ? allies dont really have any anti air weapons out side of the helios and aircarft

• Advertisement

I can't remember rightly..its possible I was trying to cap a flag and hit a tree :rolleyes:

One time, not sure if it was the same chopper but I was hovering beside a flag and some yank came running up and tossed a nade in..I saw hin and tried to lift but 3 secs later i was worm food :)

and those fighters make mince outa choppers hovering too ...grrr

lol Gnad in the side doors class :D

got to try that at some point :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

try changing your sound settings, that fixed alot of the lag problesm for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Change the sounds settings to what?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by Jazz
    Change the sounds settings to what?

Take a look at my post here which has a mirror to an unofficial BF: V lag fix. It seems to owrk for me so give it a go. One of the thigns it does is limit the amount of sounds to increase performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Firstly, just to counter the tide of whinging over BF:V, I think its great, much improved from BF1942 and DC. Makes the earlier versions seems so.. simplisitic in comparison.

Ive done the following to improve the laggy feeling:

*Turn off AA and AF in graphics card settings. Game runs unreasonably slow with them on.
    *Add "renderer.lockfps xx" to Videodefault.con in the mod, settings folder. Where xx is a figure you want FPS locked to, to curb the wild FPS swings. I put it at half my refresh (42.5) and its much smoother.
    *Turn textures to Medium, from High. Improves the speed in City maps.

Beforehand I was playing at 1600x1024 with 2x AA and it was very laggy. I now play at 1920x1080 and its visually smooth and responsive, though looks a bit blockier than the AA setting. I have a FX5950 Ultra. Unfortuantely my online play (lan is fine) is plagued by a kind of "screen jerk" every 5 seconds.. I have my suspicions PunkBuster has something to do with this.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Its almost unplayable with my geforce 2pro card "sold my ti4200 to my brother". But even on his computer it jumps like mad. Loaded it up on my friends computer who has a ati9800 pro and it looks so so good. He played it for an hour and we think its alot better then bf1942 and dc. The mods that will come out for this game should also be so so good.

Will have to wait for a patch to fix the problem with nvida or until i get my ati card.

Just cant wait to play this game on line, I wonder if this game will take over from cs ??. Cs is so dated and this game looks so slick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Originally posted by Matt Simis
    Unfortuantely my online play (lan is fine) is plagued by a kind of "screen jerk" every 5 seconds.. I have my suspicions PunkBuster has something to do with this.

Yea, I'm seeing the same thing online. Very frustrating.

Luc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Me too, and it always seems to happen as I'm dive-bombing in a plane. One minute I'm 100 feet off the ground, next thing I know everything shudders to a halt and when it recovers I'm already viet-pancake. Really really frustrating. Mind you I think it happens with vanilla BF so it might just be my system.

Thanks for that Winters, it seems to have helped. I also tried lowering the texture quality, which seemed to give a good boost to performance too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I've turned pb off for now.
    I dodnt think its the machine since its on a pretty big connection and anytime I've had a look at the cpu usage its been below 60%.

• Advertisement
Advertisement