Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-Globalistion wannabes

Options
  • 20-03-2004 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Bonsoir,

Just re-watched the tapes from last years anti-globalistion marches and was pleasantly suprised by the amount of wannabe 'protestors' wearing their globally recognisable brands. Converse, Nike, Adidas to name but a few!

Did anyone else find this amusing or is it just me that enjoys the hypocrisy of it all??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Faust

Go away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by dirty_latino
    Bonsoir,

Just re-watched the tapes from last years anti-globalistion marches and was pleasantly suprised by the amount of wannabe 'protestors' wearing their globally recognisable brands. Converse, Nike, Adidas to name but a few!

Did anyone else find this amusing or is it just me that enjoys the hypocrisy of it all??

Typical behaviour, they rant and rave but would'nt want to wake up anywhere else.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Bonsoir,

Just re-watched the tapes from last years anti-globalistion marches

You have tapes of the anti-globalisation marches? :dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

You've got a point there. Were they anti-globalisation or anti-war though?

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 krom kruak

Saw a good quote in 2days Sunday Indo, "Cranks against Yanks" ha ha what a nice soundbite.

• Advertisement

[/quote]
    Saw a good quote in 2days Sunday Indo, "Cranks against Yanks"
    [/quote]

Saw a great placard on TV about the anti war march in London yesterday - "Could'nt think of a slogan" :D

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

I don't think anyone else finds it amusing because you're wrong.

Being against the war on Iraq, does not make someone anti-globaisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭dirty_latino

Originally posted by p

Being against the war on Iraq, does not make someone anti-globaisation.

Was I talkin about the Iraq protest?? Ish don't think so!

I was referring to the anti-globalisation marches...remember, globo-cop etc??

Idiot!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

That idiot comment has earned dirty_latino a one week ban. Not very clever as I warned him yesterday about that.

Gandalf.

• Advertisement

He was'nt actually wrong though (me ducks)!

Mike.

Ah he was because p was refering to your post and not his.

Also he could have made his point without the final bit.

Anyway he is no loss to this board or any others he has been banned from.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I think Gandalf is picking on Dirty_Latino because of his signature!!!

The majority of what he said is correct, and if calling someone an Idiot is a banable offence on the Politics board, its a joke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Lear

Bonsoir,

Here in Washington DC the anti-IMF/anti-Globalism types are generally an unwashed lot that don't seem to realize or care if their NIKE shoes are made in China by child slave labor.

BTW : Personally, I'm for economic globalism, but not political globalism. I believe that different countries are better represented by officials who relate to the local cultures and values.

On the other hand, economic barriers don't help many people -- union labor perhaps -- but at the expense of the poor in third-world countries.

EXCEPTION : I do encourage tariffs on countries using slave labor.

Originally posted by p

Actually, he's right. Living in Washington DC I've seen dozens of anti-globalization protests before and after 9-11.

Lots and lots of name-brands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

BTW : Personally, I'm for economic globalism, but not political globalism. I believe that different countries are better represented by officials who relate to the local cultures and values.
    Economic globalization undermines sovereign national politics. Both Northern and Southern actors are guilty of this. Therefore, it's bad.

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    I think Gandalf is picking on Dirty_Latino because of his signature!!!

The majority of what he said is correct, and if calling someone an Idiot is a banable offence on the Politics board, its a joke!

Nope action was take against him because he broke the rules.

And yes it is a banning offence to call someone an idiot or any other personal insult on politics, especially if you have been warned not to.

BTW this poster was banned from Boards totally in Jan of this year for trolling and insulting people across several boards so there is a bit of history there as well.

If you have a problem with any of this please complain to the admins.

Gandalf.

Gandalf is completely correct here. Insulting people because you think they are wrong is very childish and immature and certainly no way to encourage discussion.

In defense of the anti-globalisation issue, might I suggest that the people involved are only concerned about political globalisation, i.e. America kicking-the crap out of everyone. Sure that's short-sighted of them but it is the biggest and most serious issue facing anti-globalisationists. Insult me if I'm wrong of course ;)

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

well this is once a problem regarding middle ground!

Example:

Group 1: Alot of people are all out anti-globalisation! the kind that chain themselves to stuff and are at every protest! fair play to them.

Group 2: Then there is the majority of people who are oblivious to globalisation and worry about the daily stuff closer to home

NOW, what if some one is in group 2 and lets say reads abook about globalisation and its effects, so they join in a few protests and get slightly involved.

My point is that even if they wear nike and adidas its better for them to have a view on globalisation, than just been in group 2.

you get me?

You're talking a lot of sense in my opinion. It's a start that they are out there protesting and trying to make a difference in this wonderfully controlled world. Sure a lot of them don't see the problem with wearing Nike shoes and that child slaves in some far-flug nation were forced to make them. It's better than sitting and taking the Patriot act up the arse!

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Everyone's problem here is few, if any, are sure what "anti-globalization" exactly means.

Only when we agree on a definition of the term can we have a proper discussion about it.

But when did sense ever get in the way of a bad argument? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by DadaKopf
    But when did sense ever get in the way of a bad argument? :rolleyes:

Apparently, any lack of sense, truth or a fundamental sense of fairness hasn't kept the great majority on this board from opining on any given issue.

However, from the context of this thread, i'm pretty sure that it's safe to say that "anti-globalist" includes the anti-IMF and anti Free Trade crowds that I've seen march down Penn Ave many times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Being that it's very hard to find clothing that isn't the cream of slave labor at some point in the process would be virtually impossible for us working stiffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Originally posted by sovtek
    Being that it's very hard to find clothing that isn't the cream of slave labor at some point in the process would be virtually impossible for us working stiffs.
    Bush would probably agree, given this story :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Originally posted by Lear
    However, from the context of this thread, i'm pretty sure that it's safe to say that "anti-globalist" includes the anti-IMF and anti Free Trade crowds that I've seen march down Penn Ave many times.

The American government isn't in favour of free trade either. So by your logic they're 'anti-globalist', right? Interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Originally posted by Sparks
    Bush would probably agree, given this story :D

LOL
    BTW wasn't Burma the country that kicked out Halliburton for over charging for water after they got a juicy contract garauntee as a term of Burma's IMF loan.
    But I'm sure GWB just banned imports from Burma because they aren't democratic (unlike China). :rolleyes:

Advertisement