Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'NO LOGO' Brand

Options
  • 20-03-2004 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

What is everybodys opinion on the fact that the 'No Logo' Logo is now a globally recognisable brand?

I think it's brilliant!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Originally posted by dirty_latino
    What is everybodys opinion on the fact that the 'No Logo' Logo is now a globally recognisable brand?

It is not a "brand" ... it is a descriptive logo, like the UN logo, or the logo for recycling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭dirty_latino

And what makes this 'not a brand'?

I think it's a great marketing ploy by the books publishing company.

And what makes this 'not a brand'?

I think it's a great marketing ploy by the books publishing company.

It is not a "brand" because it is not selling anything other than the book. Likewise the Kit-Kat logo isn't a "brand", it is just the logo of Kit-Kats bars.

The Nike logo on the other hand is a "brand", because it is not a descriptive logo for a particular product, but rather a logo of a "quality standard" (I think that is how Nike said it) that can be put on anything, from shoes to watches to aftershave, and the association with the Nike "brand" will sell the actual product.

This is actually discussed in the book. Have you read it?

You picked a winner of an example there buddy!!

Kit-Kat is clearly not a brand :rolleyes: OKAY!!

So we only have kit-kats?

What about:
    KIT-KAT CHUNKIES and KIT-CAT KUBES and ORANGE KIT-KATS and KIT-KAT ICE CREAM!!

I wish I was oh so clever just like you!!!

You picked a winner of an example there buddy!!

Kit-Kat is clearly not a brand :rolleyes: OKAY!!

So we only have kit-kats?

What about:
    KIT-KAT CHUNKIES and KIT-CAT KUBES and ORANGE KIT-KATS and KIT-KAT ICE CREAM!!

I wish I was oh so clever just like you!!!

Yeah, okay showing my age there :p

When I was young (sigh) Kit-Kat wouldn't have been a brand, but as you point out, Nestle recently recently moved the Kit-Kat logo out into a range of products that use the association with the Kit-Kat brand to sell the product.

But if you know what a "brand" is, why are we having this discussion. "No-Logo" isn't a brand

• Advertisement

Oh, I think you will find that it is!

After all the whole No-Logo T-Shirt scenario which can be seen at any left-wing gathering world wide really makes it a brand!

I should add that "No-Logo" with reference to the book of the same name, is not a brand, or even a registered trademark.

There has been a number of trademarks of the phrase No Logo in various countries, but this has not been down in responce to the book.

From www.nologo.org -
    Has "NoLogo" been trademarked? Can I use the NoLogo logo on my sail-boat, t-shirt, skateboard or stickers?

There seems to be much creative interest in using the phrase "No Logo". To all those requesting permission to use the phrase:

In brief: we cannot grant permission to use "No Logo", we don't own it (so go crazy!) The more lengthy disclaimer: Naomi Klein and her company Klein Lewis Productions Ltd. have never trademarked the phrase "No Logo." However, companies in various countries have taken the phrase and used the success of Naomi book No Logo: Taking Aim at the Brand Bullies to try to sell various products (from digital cell phone displays to olive oil).

Naomi Klein and Klein Lewis Productions Ltd. do not endorse any of these products, nor do they have any association with these product companies, nor do they receive any money from the use of the phrase "No Logo" when it is used to sell anything other than Naomi Klein's books.

Thanks for your interest!

Oh, I think you will find that it is!

After all the whole No-Logo T-Shirt scenario which can be seen at any left-wing gathering world wide really makes it a brand!

No, it is just a bunch of hippies putting "No Logo" on their T-Shirts because they liked the book.

Nonetheless, it is a globally recognisable brand!

And since it doesn't appear to be protected, I could use this brand to extort money off hippies on may-day?

Interesting.......

Nonetheless, it is a globally recognisable brand!

And since it doesn't appear to be protected, I could use this brand to extort money off hippies on may-day?

Interesting.......

Well it all depends on what you mean by "Brand" .... I don't think it is a brand, because it is not controlled and manipulated by a company or companies to sell individual products. But anyway ....

It is a recongnisable logo, and there are a load of people exploiting the recongnisability of the logo to sell products. I imagine that would be pissing Naomi Klein off no end.

And I think anyone who buys a No Logo t-shirt (probably made in a sweat-shop) and who doesn't recongise the irony is an idiot.

• Advertisement

Who makes clothes in Sweet Shops??

Willy Wonka?

Who makes clothes in Sweet Shops??

Willy Wonka?

You really should do stand-up :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

dirty_latino you do not get bonus points on this forum for pointing out someones spelling errors, infact you normally get banned. You knew what he meant buy the original comment.

Also address the topic and do not fire any attempted personal insults like "I wish I was oh so clever just like you!!!". I see another one of those from you and it will result in a ban.

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Faust

Eh, shurup, yez pedantic losers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Originally posted by gandalf
    dirty_latino you do not get bonus points on this forum for pointing out someones spelling errors

Especially if you think 'Globalistion' is a word :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Thread Closed as people do not want to stay on topic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement