Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking to buy a pool table

• 20-03-2004 11:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at buying a pool table for home use. I've had a quick search over google and the pickings have been fairly slim. The budget is around 1000-1500euro. I'd like to get a 9" x 4&1/2" table with a 3 piece slate 1" bed. Are there any Irish suppliers or am I better trying to import one from Britian. If anyone has any advice on choosing a table and what to look for in a table. Any help would be greatly appricated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

The probability of finding a 9'American Pool table for that price is slim to none. Even buying it in england for that price, getting a table that weight over 3/4 of a tonne shipped 1 aint easy and 2 is very expensive.

There is a shop in Dublin City centre where you could buy a new 7' table in choice of finishes and cloth colours for about 1550. Tis called EJ Riley, is on Marlborough Street. Go in and ask for me.
    Ger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

has the Riley shop got a website I am building a snooker room as we speak and am pricing all my equipment from America, didnt know about that shop

The website is under construction, yours truely is lazy at the moment, But come in and chat to me and Ill show you everything. Snooker tables come fully kitted out in the price ie, lights to chalk. Im up in Citywest all this week at the Masters, we have a stand, so Wont be in the shop till Monday week. You can talk to me at the Masters obviously as well.

What are you interested in?
    Ger

Well the room aint gonna be huge depending on cost Im either getting a 12' snooker table or i might just go with a 7' pool table, ill drop into the shop and have a look some time next week, totally crushed with work right now!

As a matter of interest, do you do American Pool Tables with the beige cloth

• Advertisement

Check Your Private Messages. Im taking this off thread for charter reasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Didn't say anything about wanting an American pool table would prefer a English one. I'm in Limerick so I can't really call in but could I get a phone number off you I could ring?

Private message sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Pity some of the discussion is off thread, as I think it would be very interesting for most people. Theres a fella called "Tony" on the satellite forum who seems to get a lot of business from the forum, not through advertising but from recommendations of other posters and from answering any direct questions put to him. So I would have thought Ger answering questions re costs of tables etc wouldnt be outside the rules, but unsolicited advertising would most certainly be. But I'm no expert on forum rules ...

Back to the point of my post!

I will be buying a table in a few months time when my room is ready. I do love the look of the US 9 foot pool table, but its a mental price and probably not suitable for snooker. I'm pretty sure I'll go for an 8 foot snooker table with an extra set of pool balls. I do need to make the time to visit showrooms like Rileys.

Ger (or anyone else) am I correct in assuming that if I bought a table from you, the table would come in a number of different parts so there'd be no problem getting it into the house, and that you would deliver it and assemble it? Its good to hear that it comes fully kitted out including lights.

If I wanted to say shove the table up against the wall to make room for something else on occassions, and then move it back into position when I wanted to play again would I be likely to negatively affect the table?

Anyone have an opinion on what the best flooring is for a snooker/pool table room? What are you putting in your snooker room Draupnir?

If you can manage to lift an 8ft/9ft Slate snooker or pool table I must make a mental note never to start a row with you. There is nearly 3/4 tonne of weight in a 9ft table. So the moving option just for that fact is a no, no. Also the slates are joined together so if you did manage to move it there is a chance the slates may crack. Or also that the cloth may move and stretch. So as regards to moving the Snooker table. Not advised.

A pool table with a trolley may be an option but I dont think from your post that this would interest you as it would be too small to really get any enjoyment out of snooker on these tables.

If you are seriously considering getting to 8/9ft Snooker table we can arrange a time that suits you to visit your room and check it for access points, stairs, floor etc. Yes they do come in parts but if it is going upstairs an inspection is necessary. If its on a ground floor and flooring is an option a concrete floor is the most reccomended

I look forward to hearing from you soon. Drop me a PM before you come in. Also we should have an 8ft setup in the showrooms again in the next 2 weeks.

Also there was no major discussion off thread, I was worried I would getting Celtic in trouble but I have his approval to answer any questions fully now.

Ger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Thanks for the reply Ger. I obviously under-estimated the weight!

My room is on the ground floor. I think its about 17x15, but I'll also be putting up a dartboard, and obviously some seating (though what kind I havent really thought about). I was also thinking about getting a table tennis table, as you can get very good tables that fold-up quite small so it could have been a possibility if I could have shoved the snooker table temporarily into a corner. But I'll knock that idea on the head.

It will be a few months before I'm in a position to buy, but I will pay you a visit.

Hey Rooster, Im putting in a poured concrete floor and then just a bit of carpet. A lot of weight in the table as ger said so it would be a bad idea to use a wooden floor.

ger--- wheres my brochure!!! damn postal strike! nice touch though since someone from Riley rang me to see if id gotten it. Much appreciated.

Draupnir: I was due to ring you but was out getting things ready for Citywest. It seems as though the Postal Strike is sorting itself, sorry bout the pun, and Ill give you a call probably towards next Thursday to give the postal network a chance to clear itself.

Rooster: I look forward to meeting you in the showroom when you make your visit. If there is any other questions you need answered feel free to ask. I check the boards most days.
    Something that just came to mind aswell. As the rooms sole use is not as a pool room there is another option available a dining/pool table. But I can discuss this further with you another time.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Silent Assasin

This is proably a big stupid question, But some of you guys might know having experience with Home snooker room's...

I have a empty skeleton of a shed out the back about 22*14 feet and basically it needs windows and a floor and a door...We just have worthless crap in it at the moment.

Anyway would I need to insulate and a heating system installed or would a bit of carpet over a concrete floor do the job ? Along with a door and windows obviously..

Would that affect the Table with the Cold in the winter or would i need the Room Insulated to Housing Standard.

Also the Rooster and Draupnir what kind of budget have u set yourselves for your rooms ??

I would definately reccomend insulating the walls and roof of the shed as mush as possible. Im not a builder so dont know the best way to go about it, but just a standard, wooden I assume, shed wouldnt be the ideal environment for a table.

A cold room will slow the table and not allow decent playing environments. Professional tables are so fast due to the TV lights and also they have under table heating lamps aswell. The warmer the environment the better. Dryness is also very important aswell.

If you are investing an ammount of money on a table you'll want to get maximum life out of it, so its living room should also be well invested in

Ger: Got you message yesterday, just started a new job so sorry I missed the call. I still havent recieved the brochure but Id say it is probably in the house now. Ill get it when I go home and be in touch next week. Have a good Easter and thanks for your help.

Silent Assasin: If you dont insulate your room then prepare to play snooker wearing a jacket gloves and scarf in the winter. Also, your table will only last one year since the damp is incredible in an uninsulated room. The cloth will literally rot away Id say.
    Best thing to do is by some insulation, enough wallboards to go around the room and then attach these to your walls with vertical beams. Id recommend filling the gap between the walls and the wallboards with at least an inch and a half of insulation. Just to make it snug.

Would a desembled 7 x 4 foot pool table make it through a standard door on ground level? Also do you deliver to clare?

Id imagine a 7 x 4 would fit on its side

Originally posted by Thorbar
    Would a desembled 7 x 4 foot pool table make it through a standard door on ground level? Also do you deliver to clare?

Sounds like no problem there Thorbar. Delivery is also included in the price to most parts of Ireland. Even Clare.....
    Yup talk to you soon Draupnir

Hey Ger, go the brochure today, I think Im gonna go with the 7 foot pool table because it looks nice and the €1000 less seems nice to me!

Ill be in touch when Im ready to buy, currently waiting on the room to be finished

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

hello ger,thanks for the reply I work in town so when I get a chance I will drop into the shop I got a cue of you a while ago you have a nice setup in there.I am getting a few prices from builder's maybe next week,I have a area out my back I am going to get a room built just for the table the area is 23ft by 17 so I think I have the space one thing how high would the min the room have to be....?

Im very sorry for the delay in replying Dub13 I didn't see this post when it came in.
    There is no particuklar height reccomended for a Snooker room celing. A standard 10ft roof should do the trick. The light supplied is suspended by chains so is easily adjusted.

Thats good to hear Draupnir I look forward to hearing from you

Everyone else please feel free to keep asking questions.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

No probs ger,I was in the shop the on Tuesday but you were not there (the joys of being the boss) I had a look around and I think I will go with your shop for the table I am just getting a few prices of builders so I will get back to you when I have the price sorted out I have 10k to spend so I am trying to get the room built for 6 which will mean I can get a new table.

ps:if anybody knows of a good bulder let me no as I want to get a few prices.

Just out of interest did any of you go ahead and get a table or how are your plans/building work getting on?

gerire

Well the extension that we're building onto our house where the pool table is going got put back a year, so I haven't been able to follow up on getting a table yet. But as soon as the room is there we'll be going about getting a table. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Mredmond

Gerire,

(I can almost hear you laughing at this question already, but here goes anyhow.)
    I would love to buy an 8ftx 4ft snooker table, but the only location I'll have available would be a newly converted attic! Ever hear of this?
    As the attic conversion has not yet been carried out I do have options on the types of support structures to put in.

Mredmond Im currently travelling the world and amnt working anymore selling tables. Feel free to contact Riley on Abbey St www.ejrileyireland.ie. Ask for Darren or John and tell them I sent you. They will be able to come out and measure to see if it is a viable option.

Regards
    Ger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jack Wood

Hi Thorbar and everyone else
    My names Jack I am a new member, who joined basically After reading this thread, to see if you are interested in going the extra mile with your pool room.
    I make leaded stained glass for a living and last year I made something I am really proud of. I wanted to get away from the usual door and window panels so I did some designs are for leaded snooker table canopies. Someone who sells furniture in my shop has a snooker table and commissioned one.
    There were a lot of prototypes and design changers that seemed to take longer than making the finished item, but all in all it was an enjoyable time and I am now making them full time.
    There is currently only one image of this on my website but this will get updated and if would like to ask any questions feel free.
    Please visit http://www.thehg.co to see it for yourself.

Advertisement