Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Based Trek Fan Movie

• 21-03-2004 12:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭

I've had an idea. Why dont we all get together and make a trek fan movie based in dublin? I'm alright at basic video editing but would need someone for special effects, perhaps a big of max modelling and that kinda thing. Still in very early stages but would make a great project for us all to do. So... let's hear some story ideas. I dont have any at the moment and will get back to you, but for some reason i envision in my mind some guy being chased accross the traffic island of o connel bridge with a starfleet officer firing at them. It must incorporate that... somehow ;-) What you guys think? Need ideas... NOW! hehe... would make for a great movie i'm thinking anyways.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

this could esaily turn into a great project....

a rogue time traveller chased by starfleet officers, who are cut off from HQ and are unaware of his/her/its plans.....

no real need for fancy ships and space stations...but with a good story board could start this snowball rolling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Hrm that sounds good. Right, in tng/voy era let's say... captain on a break takes a shuttle up to have a quick fly around the solar system... notices said time traveller heading to earth and opening a time rift... thingy. With not enough time to alert starfleet he heads into said temporal rift and gets dragged back to the year 2004... Shuttle manages to disable time traveller's ship and it get's sent on a crash course with earth. Time traveller guy does emergency beam out to the closest continent (ie ireland). He transports to somewhere in dublin whilst captain guy tractors falling ship (small) back into orbit. Masks both ships signatures so can't be detected by today's satelites and beams down to dublin to try find the guy. Sound good so far? Just making this up as i go along but... ya know... that's how stuff gets done i suppose.

a meeting
    a couple of cups of coffee
    a pen
    paper and this will go very well...

before the whole story gets drawn out we'd need to get a team in place

Right cool. Right im sure dataisgod would be interested... bizmark? Maybe. Come on people help us out here.

i'm sure azezil would be a perfect cast for our crazy/deranged/gay/villan :p

• Advertisement

Commenting is irrelivent...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

could be fun, weird but fun, how does the summer suit, i should move free time then i can shake a stick at then (and i'm telling ya i can do some serious stick shaking). trouble is if its in 21C dublin, no one gets to where a star fleet uniform god damn it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

One of my closest friends see's me as a villan... excellent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

I can see this.
    As sugested a few posts above coffie and a pen at some stage.

It could work but would it work? i will be quite busy during the summer with my moving out and going to witness and i will probbley be working full time (Hopefully a night shift job) So im not sure if i could help because i would be totally nocturnal.

If ur making a list of people who would help out
    put me down as a yes because i will help with this.

A good story would be nice, if it is non-proffit we dont need any permission or rights or any crap like that right?

Ok well, it's 60 quid sterling on the forbidden planet website for a nemesis trek uniform but i think there's only a few left. It'd come to about €100 so if we all pool together we could buy, then share it for different scenes... or maybe buy two. Anyways list of helpers so far:

Dataisgod
    Achilles (well obviously)
    Azezil
    Serrard
    User45701

Need more help. Just think of it, a cgi starfleet shuttle decends from the sky, trying to shoot out time ship thing... missed and blows up the spike... spire... cock... thing, whatever ya wanna call it.

*snip*

Right i've just asked the help of people i know on a bridge commander forum. They're brillian with max and asked if they'd be willing and able to help out when they're needed, let's see what the response is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

ooh if i'm the "baddy" do i get to wear a nice leather thingy woo or pvc, and a pink plasma rifle.

as for sharing costumes... er heh i doubt that'd work ;)

but if its a going back in time thing we should be wearing normal cloths anyway no need for the star trek uniform

Ok ok... let's say we all pool together to buy two uniforms yea? One for me and one for erm... dataisgod let's say. We're the ones up orbiting earth or whatever when we're dragged into the temporal wake. Blah blah we get to dublin beam down to a secluded area. Get shop x's permission to film in there change into our own clothes (pretend to buy them in shop) then go away. Being starfleet officiers we know we've not to mess with the timeline so we have to try and blend in as we're tracking this guy. I'm all for the time traveller plot by the way. And check out that other thread too, the guy from the bridge commander modding forum has some nice ideas.

Hrm, yea but we'd still need it for when we're in the cockpit and such when we're in the trek era. Anyways... dont suppose anyone knows where to get a blue or green screen?

*snip*

Data, join #startrek.ie on quakenet in irc will ye? thanks. Alot easier to talk there.

i always wanted a star trek uniform, i also always wanted my ear pierced with a bajoran earring but neither ever happened.

we would have to come up with some waffle as to why we had to buy cloths and not have a replicator

Replicators get damaged in the battle scene. See there wouldnt be the expense to have alot happening with us in the cockpit of the shuttle so we'd have to do most of it around dublin. Anyways as ya can see on the other site's thread. I have a guy who's experienced in 3d studio max to help us out when the time comes for cgi and stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

:dunno:

I did something like this years ago. We used toy phasers and everything. I'll have to ring my friend and see if he still has the tape. :p

I'd be willing to help during the summer.

Heh, well in all fairness i'd be a little more ambitious than 'toy phasers and everything'. ;-) I'd appreciate any help tho. I even have a guy on another forum to do the cgi for me when i need him. He said it'd be possible to have a shuttle flying from the sky of dublin down to the liffy and back up of if it needed to land he could make us appear in front of the cgi shuttle and other stuff in the background. However if things fall through with him i'd need a backup. Ohh also, if anyone's versed in using premier give me a shout, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭OmeGar

ok.

so what kind of camera we planning on using? i mean VHS which is on most Camcorders is one of the Worst formats to record to. i have done some work on turning a charity wrestling match and it came out horrible.

oh and i did say we. but i am a camera/souns man not in front of the camera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I really hope Az doesn't run around the streets of Dublin with his pink plasma rifle in his hand :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The crew manage to repair the shuttle and to avoid being noticed disguise it as a Honda Civic!!

I'd get involved but am only in Dublin for another 2 months (I wanted to play the doctor :( ).

Well so far i have full permission to borrow a mate's DV camera that cost him €800 or there abouts so i'm guessing that should be good enough by a long shot ;-) I'm sure someone else out there willing to help out could offer another camera too. Ohh man by the way, if yer any way good with adding general effects to movies like special effects, transporter beams, phaser plasts in premier or similiar program you could be a big help.

By the way this wouldnt be a whole crew as in in front of the camera, it'd be two people, three at most, who are in a shuttle on vacation in the 24th century, taking the shuttle for a spin around the solar system when they detect another vessle heading directly for earth at high impulse. As i said previously, no time to alert starfleet. Said guy opens a temporal rift and the guys in the shuttle... ala first contact, notice changes taking place on earth, small ones, but changes nonetheless, and they decide, before the temporal wave hits them to erase them from history, they follow said villan into the temporal wake to repair whatever damage he's done. I know it's a kinda done over and over plotline... but i mean the story itself hasn't even been figured out properly. We all need to get together to jot down various ideas... mold them into a storyboard and then a final script before we even get close to shooting. Then of course after all the shooting it still wouldnt be done, would need a few people for audio and sound editing etc (i would be part of this too as i have experience in such things) also i have a guy on another forum willing to help out with the cgi when the time is needed. I know it's an ambitious project, but it'd be something brilliant for us all to pull, off, and i believe we can. People have mentioned money before but the way i have this loosly planned out, we wont really need that much money in the first place, just a few cameras and a shed load of talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

/me rolls up Uniform sleeves

I would love to be involved, even if all you need is a stills photographer or photoshopag etc. If inquirey of a screen role is reasonable, I'd love the chance to audition etc. As for meeting, City Centre would suit most people? when where etc.

in a pub i suggest the white horse, tis quiet enough to talk especially upstairs, i'm open to when and its a great excuse to have pints

data

Audtition smadition, this aint a big production, just a simple fan movie. But one that'll hopefully look very very very very ga... professional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

ill help out with general star trek info (ship specs etc) if you need it

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    PUB! DRINK DRINK DRINK! PUB!

I Agree with data. What would be a good day to meet up and talk bout all this?

Yeah that was my plan in the first place, we could jot down general ideas for the plot... etc. Then perhaps meet up again in a week or two to do a rough storyboard... then after that to work out a script... etc etc.

• Advertisement

a nice quiet sunday evening perhaps?

Sounds good to me but as i dont drink, i'm not familiar with pubs so someone would have to meet me somewhere to direct me to said place.

Hey all if you wanna have a proper conversation about this, join #startrek.ie on the undernet server, in irc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Ah lads ye cant just have 2 starfleet officers on vacation who suddenly happen to get involved in a time travelling adventure, youve got to have a raison detre

Why not add a bit of continuity.

I suppose something like this

The Tox Utaht was never destroyed on risa, just the split second before picard destroys it, it is once again transported through time, cue cgi explosion of earth

This destruction of the earth is felt throughout time

Cue the timeship aeon of the temporal investigation division (our 2 actors whoever they maybe), in order to set things right they must arrive on earth circa 2004, about, 2 days before the utaht arrives, they must

1) Find out where the utaht is

2) They must also find out who set it off and stop him

Cue whatever ye want to happen after that

That is only a rough idea, but ye get what im on about I hope

Shin

Hrm good idea. Yeah i'm liking it. Sounds like a good storyline... it'd have to invole enterprise somehow tho (NX-01) as that's what my prop weapons and comminucators are from! lol...

Well ill see what i can do, let me wrack me brains

Shin

• Advertisement

Hrm, i'd be interested if people could pm me a picture of themselves... just to get a general idea of what the team would be like.

CGI Enterprise, some hours after the destruction of the earth as detailed below

Fade dissolve Crew quarters

ensign michaelson wakes up to see (Ensign dawson Name optional) straing back at him, dawson explains hes from the 31st century version of the temporal inursion division, hes been real cagey about details on why he came to michaelson, only that in the 27th century the timeship aeon dispatched 2 agents to the year 2004 to find the TOX utaht before the earth is destroyed, he has heard nothing from them and events have still played out as documented below

He now states that temporal incursions have one more chance to set the time line right and that michaelson himself must go, when pressed for details again dawson evades answering it

Michaelson reluctantly agrees to go

Fade dissolve present day dublin approx 2 hours after the aeon agents arrived, michaelson glances to his left to see a guy running with the aeon agents in hot pursuit phasers firing, the guy runs into the oncoming traffic and is knocked down.

Michaelson runs over and bends down only to see a mirror image looking back the only words he uttered was "It was for the empire" and died

Some hours later michaelson is back aboard enterprise in discussion with dawson.

your mirror universe counterpart seemed to be in the employ of the mirror universe Archer, there first emperor, there ensign daniels apaprently informed him of the utahts power and the changes in the mirror universe made by james t kirk

Michaelson: So he hoped to preserve the empire by destroying our universe

Dawson: pretty much i must now be going ive spent far to much time here already and i believe you have a visitor

cue beep at door

michaelson opens door: hi my name is roberta Kirk

Cue fade out

The end

The Tox Utaht was never destroyed on risa, just the split second before picard destroys it, it is once again transported through time, cue cgi explosion of earth

This destruction of the earth is felt throughout time

Cue the timeship aeon of the temporal investigation division (our 2 actors whoever they maybe), in order to set things right they must arrive on earth circa 2004, about, 2 days before the utaht arrives, they must

1) Find out where the utaht is

2) They must also find out who set it off and stop him

Cue whatever ye want to happen after that

That is only a rough idea, but ye get what im on about I hope

Shin

If we wanted the future federations danials cloathing it wouldent be that hard,
    a black top black botoms and then a few black cable ties or bungee cords (or something like that) and it would look a bit like him

Hrm some interesting ideas there. However we dont have the budget... or means... to have actors in front of a blue or green screen to have them in quaters or on deck of a starship etc etc etc. I like the story idea tho, something could be worked around that. Let's stear clear of using already layed down characters in trek tho, and rather create new ones. IE, a new temporal divion guy whos name is erm... Agent Kavanagh (yeah that's not my name lol) for instance. Anyways i like the story ideas, keep them flowing. As data has said already we should meet up in a pub net sunday afternoon perhaps to discuss all this and get the general feel and idea for the movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

Why bother with a time travel incursion. What series are we running from Orginal to Voyager (Enterprize doesn't count, its not really Star Trek!)? How about an M-class planet, using Classic Uniforms, this world seem odd enought to the 60-70's era, unifoms are cheaper, acting ham(erish) is the norm, B-rate special effects adn dodgy back grounds a pre-request. Just an idea.

• Advertisement

No sorry this is gonna be a top notch production, not cheap looking at all, and no, no M-Class planet, the whole idea of the movie is that it's based around dublin. I'm more in favour of the temporal incursion idea.

Scene1: jenkinstown park, kilkenny
    sunny day, the woods
    http://www.castlecomer.net/places/jenkinstown.htm

Jemma wakes up in the woods, automatically grabs her rifle and looks around...

<Jemma> "How...Azezil!"

A noise to the left of laughter a young couple walk on a nearby path, the young girl answers her mobile phone...

<girl> "Hey orla......yeah, i'm in the park....FUCK NO!....<giggles>....okay, okay I'll tell you later

the guy grabs the girl and pulls her close

<guy> "..so..what will you tell her later?..."
    <girl> "It all depends"

they laugh and walk on

<Jemma> "When am I?..."

Taps comm badge

<Jemma> "Groagan, Hoz...."

Jemma looks down at her uniform...takes off her jacket and wraps it around her rifle...she gets up and makes her way to the path and starts walking

Scene 2: jenkinstown park, kilkenny
    sunny day, the main area with buildings

Jemma walks into the main Fort area, walking down to the main circular building and begins to climb it...she gets to the top and looks around...

surrounding Kilkenny country side

<jemma> <sighs heavily> "shit!"

suddenly she slips and slids a little to the edge

<Jemma> <shock> "Double shit!"

The rifle slips from her fingers and off the edge of the roof crashing on to the gravel below

<Jemma> < sighs> "..and of course triple shit!"

she slides to the edge of the roof..loks down before jumping off...she gathers the rifle..rewaps it and starts walking to the gates...

fade to intro music

cheap and easy to do...and a start to the stroy....find the rogue timetraveller and capture him

Can we have a scence where someone for no reason eats a whole cake to themselves?
    It would be funny cause they want real cake instead of replicated cake....

.......What part of DUBLIN based trek fan movie is so hard to understand eh? :P K this is trek, no cussing. Um... no no no sorry i dont like that idea at all. Worth it tho. Perhaps we could adapt it? Have a guy lying in an alleyway somewhere in town that is usually never populated. Or perhaps the dublin mountains, something like that. Anyways it has to be a guy... cus the main character is... umm... me :P It is my idea after all ;-)

mmmm cake. Err yea i suppose that's dooable as comic relief. Hrm... let's say... this movie spans over... 1-2 months? Person from future (starfleet) has to get a place to stay etc.. replicates money or whatever. We can use erm... data's house if he's willing. Or... not mine cus i still live at home, anyone else willing? Just a thought. Anyways we are all definatly meeting this sunday to discuss story ideas.

first of all keeping it in dublin, rules out a lot of interested people...

if we plan well we can have a few people going to a couple of destinations (a day at a time)

the story I was aiming at was....

3 starfleet officers stranded in Ireland summer 2004,

They were chasing a time travelling fugitive...(flashbacks can cover that insert when needed)

The senior officer Groagan wakes up in Dublin, Hoz (the vulcan/token alien) wakes up in Galway or somewhere..

Once Jemma and Hoz get an idea of where they are or contact Groagan they travel to dublin to report in and figure a way home when they run into the fugitive...

Chase begins

Plot twist

Fugitive escapes but only 2 get back home...

to be continued....

Most of it done in Dublin but a day in Kilkenny and a day somewhere else...there are other people interested outside the pale

and the swearing...well tbh...there's not going to be kids watching this...so i think a 15 cert would do it justice and deliever a lot to the fans

Originally posted by Achilles
    We can use erm... data's house if he's willing. Or... not mine cus i still live at home, anyone else willing? .

i also live at home and the house is small, but if its needed.... we could possibly sort something out house was built about 100 years ago though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭Stark

And the swearing...well tbh...there's not going to be kids watching this...so i think a 15 cert would do it justice and deliever a lot to the fans

Getting high hopes a bit too quickly are we? :p Why do you want a certification, it's not like it's going to get a commercial release is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Originally posted by SearrarD

Once Jemma and Hoz get an idea of where they are or contact Groagan they travel to dublin to report in

They could travel CIE:
    train-front.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

John

• Advertisement
Advertisement