Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Based Trek Fan Movie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Ohh man that's good. I'll be so glad to have you on our team. Could you perhaps maybe render a little movie of the danube flying towards earth? Hope that's not too much to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

So Achilles, where does the movie stand at mo, in pre-production? A brief summery and what needs to be done?

Well to be honest hardly anything has been done so far. We're meeting up tomorrow to discuss general script ideas and that kinda thing. Nobody has been asigned any jobs yet cus i dunno who is on our team as such yet. That cgi guy looks promissing and will definatly be on the team. I hope to start filming around mid to late summer. I'd also need a loan of an extra dv camera and get some boom mikes if possible. That's basically all the info i have at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭The Admiral

Originally posted by Achilles
    Ohh man that's good. I'll be so glad to have you on our team. Could you perhaps maybe render a little movie of the danube flying towards earth? Hope that's not too much to ask.

I guess I could.... But it's gonna take a lot of time: when I render a 7 second animation of normal quality with not too complex models, it can take a very long time (2 to 4 hours if not raytraced).
    A second problem: as I experienced with uploading the two Danube pics above....the maximum size of the files on this forum is VERY low !!! An animation will most likely be tons heavier than the maximum allowed here. I'm thinking about an alternative way without screwing up the animation... ;)

Tomorrow I'll work on a 3d model of Earth, since you'll be wanting shots of the Danube and the time ship enclosing on the planet. I'll need some very good textures to render a nice Earth-close up. So don't expect anything too soon :D

The Admiral

Where is the meet up and what time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

its in the white horse on the 4th at 6pm

Ok well whatever you can do man it'll be cool. I know it takes time to be brilliant, hehe, so i can be patient. If you add me to msn i can host the vids on my webspace for everyone to see. Pm me with your addie and we'll see what we can do. Also havelock... look at the reference thread for meetup details, thanks.

Ohh, this is for theadmiral. I found a picture of a temporal rift for you that you can work on, if it's not too difficult that is, thanks.

This morning I tried out some textures on an Earth mesh. Looks quite good to my opinion. No background yet.
    I will start working on a draft version for a short Danube-flyby-towards-Earth animation.

A question: does the timeship need to be an entirely newly created model of your own design, or could I also use the timeship as seen in the attachment Achilles gave above (from the Voyager episode) ?

Please let me know.

The Admiral

No i'd like the timeship to be my own design as that timeship is supposed to be of a future starfleet vessel, whereas, so far as our rough idea of the story goes, this rouge time traveller has nothing to do with starfleet and hence would have a different craft altogether.

*snip*

Ohh by the way, just to let ya know, seeing as the movie is based in ireland we'd need the sun to be shining over in that general direction. Thanks man all this work you're putting in is highly appreciated.

• Advertisement

No i'd like the timeship to be my own design as that timeship is supposed to be of a future starfleet vessel, whereas, so far as our rough idea of the story goes, this rouge time traveller has nothing to do with starfleet and hence would have a different craft altogether.

Allright.... I will start modelling your design. Before I do, I will first present you here some cleaned up views of the drawings you made... Because I need to be sure of some design aspects of the vessel. If you would have any bigger or cleaner sketches, they're welcome. It would speed up the work ;)

Regards,
    The Admiral.

Alright, i'll draw up some tonight. A few of us from this board are meeting up in a pub later too, to discuss various plot ideas and that kinda thing, i'll let ya know what happens.

Alright, i'll draw up some tonight. A few of us from this board are meeting up in a pub later too, to discuss various plot ideas and that kinda thing, i'll let ya know what happens.

That's very much appreciated !
    In advance of your updated sketches, I made a cleaned up version with some textures added. Of course the decision is entirely yours; the attachment picture is a very rough version ;) of a side view you offered earlier in this thread.

The Admiral

ps: don't drink too much this evening :p but have fun as well.

hrm that's good man. Only, i kinda had it in my head that the bussard should be a yellowie kinda colour, and the hull a purpley kinda colour. the hull a kind of purple, and the necelle a darker purple, also the main engine bit of the necelle, that looks ok for now, as does the rest of it.

hrm that's good man. Only, i kinda had it in my head that the bussard should be a yellowie kinda colour, and the hull a purpley kinda colour. the hull a kind of purple, and the necelle a darker purple, also the main engine bit of the necelle, that looks ok for now, as does the rest of it.

Okidokey !

Working on the Runabout animation now...will take some more time.

The Admiral

Ohh right nice one that'll be cool thanks man. All this is very very very appreciated ya know.

@Achilles: I just sent you the Danube animation on your steve.k20 adress.
    Hope you receive it ;) If you do, can you upload it to your site so it becomes available for anyone here ?

The Admiral.

I compressed the animation file, but be warned: the quality is ****. But it gives an idea. I hope Achilles will post a link soon to a higher quality version :)

The Admiral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Thats well done admiral

Dont like the timeship though tbh (notting to do with you admiral)

Rocking socks! Thats great!

• Advertisement

This is the "canon" timeship from the Voyager episode I got from startrekaustralia.com

The Admiral

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Wow, cool stuff, is this project going to become a reality? I'd love to see it :D

Originally posted by Raskolnikov
    Wow, cool stuff, is this project going to become a reality? I'd love to see it :D
    As far as I am concerned: YES !!!! But....
    I'm just the "backroom boy". I'm one of the CG-slaves ;) I just do what people ask of me... that is if they ask anything at all, because right now I, I don't hear anything. It's like at the beginning of war: fully loaded and waiting for the command to shoot that isn't coming.......:confused:

Regards
    The Admiral

Hey guys, sorry i havn't posted in a while, been busy with certain things. Admiral, stuff will be asked of you after filming, which will be like, after the summer, or at least untill we get a script together and know what sequences we'll need. I'll post the story myself and data came up with on sunday a little bit later as i have things to do like repair linux, it's hell being back in windows at the moment. Ohh well... toodle ohh.

Hey guys, sorry i havn't posted in a while, been busy with certain things. Admiral, stuff will be asked of you after filming, which will be like, after the summer, or at least untill we get a script together and know what sequences we'll need.

Surely that doesn't need to wait until all filming has been done :) The very first thing to do is getting a story that - in general lines - does NOT change. From then on 2 teams can begin preparing the actual work: the team that makes all CG material (those are the guys that should start working as first ones, since they don't need all the equipment, except for a computer and the storyline) and the second team: the people that prepare the actual "live filming" (you know: costumes, props, etc).
    The very last thing is filming.
    After all this all teams sit together again because everything needs to be put together. At that moment the final changes can be made (and even some shots - CG or reality - be redone).

Get that storyline straight. Then sit together and discuss what needs to be CG and what not. And then give people like me the actual storyboards or similar instructions.
    Don't get this wrong: a GOOD CG shot can take up to MONTHS of hard work. Especially when you intend to use SFX such as explosions etc.
    You can always contact me on my email to discuss items more specific/elaborate:
    AdmiralO@hotmail.com

In the meanwhile, I'll await further orders and get the canons ready to shoot ;)

The Admiral

Hrm alrighty but what can i tell ya? Nothing solid and concrete has been decided yet, im still not sure who's even taking part in this whole project. To be honest i'm starting to think that it may not come together at all, but i really really want it to, and i'm sure others do too. Anyways here's an outline of the kinda story that myself and data came up with on saturday.

After the dominion war, the quadrent is still being rebuilt and federation, romulan, klingon and cardassian resources are at an all time low. The federation decide to have peace talks with the breen to come to some sort of treat of some kind that will see them working together in the future to stop any other wars. This conference is held on earth.

A section 31 agent, from the 28th century travels back in time to try and wreck this conference as it has hazerdous reprocutions throughout the quadrent over the coming years, maybe something like the breen having access to key federation facilities and they take advantage, that hasn't quite been worked out yet. Anyways this section 31 agent, using advanced starfleet technology from his time, disguises his timeship as a delta flyer class ship and attacks one of the breen flagships. (The delta flyer in this time period, since Voyager's return, has gone into mass production, minus the borg technology). The Breen, being reserved as they are, think that this is an act of war by the federation. As this 'delta flyer' type craft if flying away, seeing as there is a conference being held on earth, security is tight around the planet. A few danube class ships move to intercept the ship as it's flying away. They start to fire as the section 31 agent is opening a temporal rift to get back to his own time. One of the danubes fires as the time ship is doing this thus damaging the time equipment, instead of opening a rift to the future, it opens one to the past, without the agent realising this. The time ship flies through the rift and just as it's closing, one of the danube's manages to fly in after it.

*Year 2004*

As the time ship is flying away from earth, the danube keeps on firing at it, and hailing it and so forth trying ot get answers, without any response. So the danube keeps firing, furthur damaging the time ship, so much so that it looses control and starts going down, heading straight for earth. The section 31 agent, knowing he's in trouble, quickly has time to replicate civilian clothing and various currencies of this time period. He makes an emergency beam out to the nearest continant as the time ship (a small shuttle type thing really) heads for a crash landing in the Irish Sea. He ends up beaming to somewhere in Ireland. At this point data sugested that using some sort of makeship cloaking technology, that the danube lands in phoenix park but i just can't see that happening. I'd prefer if, at this point, two of the starfleet guys from the 24th century beam down to the planets surface in the general area of where the section 31 one guy did, tracing his general whereabouts by scanning for croniton particles. However these particles dissipate very rapidly so they have no idea as to his exact whereabouts. One guy stays behind in the danube and flies it to the dark side of the moon where it won't be picked up by any of today's satelite systems, and stays there to make repairs to the danube as it was damaged badly in the crossfire.

We're now on the planet, in dublin, ireland, circa august 2004. The 24st century starfleet officers are dressed in civilian clothing for the time and set about scanning for this section 31 guy. They know the date by simply buying a newspaper as they too have replicated currency for this time period. They check out the local headlines or something. At this point the story gets a bit sketchy, with bits we can fill in later. Basically the 24th century starfleet guys go setting about finding this guy, what he's up to, why he did what he did in their time period, that kinda thing. The section 31 guy, with his money, stays in some kind of bed and breakfast and is seen by the people staying there as very reserved and slightly strange and weird. He goes about trying to build a beacon that will send a message into the future for one of his commanders to come back in time to rescue him. He goes from shop to shop buying parts (peats, maplins, that kinda thing).The 24th century starfleet guys go about finding this guy. The section 31 agent realises, with his damaged scanning technology, that officers in the danube have tracked him down to Dublin anyways and gets kinda worried. He finally tracks them down himself, putting a phaser to one of their backs and leading them into a dark alleyway. He explains to them why he did it and how 'it was for the federation... it was all... for the federation!!!' and that kinda thing, to save the future and all that. One of the guys manages to break free however and holds a phaser to the section 31 agent. The agent makes a run for it and the starfleet officers chase after him, firing at him from accross the o connel bridge and into the traffic island, where he's running accross, they stun him and he falls down.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is all she wrote, so far...

Any ideas? Comments? Anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Looks good from what I see. I actually almost imagined a scene where the two SF officers were looking at the Euro the same way we did when we got it. :p

I'll comment more when I get back from college... If I can, lol

Ohh come on, nobody besides kennett has an opinion on the story idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I had a thought about the Danube crash scene... Couldn't you film the crash area, then make the Danube model crash in the 3d program, then superimpose that onto the Phoenix Park video?

• Advertisement

Hrm ohh it's very possible... it'd just require ALOT of work. Work that, a) i'm not sure if admiral can do, and b) i don't wanna stress him out too much either ;) Besides, superimposing a shuttle onto a scene with actors would be very very complicated...

Advertisement