Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suggest a wireless card?

• 21-03-2004 3:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

So as the title says could someone with a bit of knowledge/experience in wireless cards please suggest one i should get cuz i haven't a clue whats good and whats not and i need to get 2 of them so i can start using the bb on my new computer. I have a wireless router already ( this ) and just need to get 2 wireless NIC's so i would much appreciate the help, thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭bazooka

I just installed a few of these Corega Wireless NIC for a customers office, I know they are only 11mb, but as you say, you are only sharing your broadband. The included external aerial is a nice touch and definately increases the range...

they are only about €55 a pop too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

would that 11mb a sec be good enough for online gaming, downloading, and also i would like to use it for having lan games between the 2 computers (possibly 3, might be getting a laptop in november)?? Also I see that they 802.11b, i heard that the the g protocol ones r better? r they, and if so how much better and is it worth the extra money??

**just looked for some cards there and found this. is that the same kinda thing for what i need. is it good? its like $69 so its like the same as the other card u were saying about but faster?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭bazooka

as far as I know, the b will do 11mbs, the g stuff does 54...there is a better performance when using a G card with a G Access Point, but I don't think corega have a PCI g card yet.

To be honest the b stuff will do perfectly for any online gaming, don't forget that online gaming will only ever be as fast as your internet connection. So if you have a strong wireless lan connection (eg 11mbs) it will only be able to communicate with the internet as fast as your internet (presumably broadband at 512k)

internal online gaming should be fine too...I would suggest buying one, and see how you get on...

right so i finnaly got my wireless cards and i have my router and i've just noticed that the router is 802.11b and the cards r g, those that matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭babypink

what it means for you is that you are going to have NO speed increase at all with your present set up. Because the router is 802.11b so the NIC's will run at the slower speed for compatibility.

The upside is that if you decide at a later stage to get a G router, you will then be able to take advantage of 54Mb/s

• Advertisement

ah man!! tha really sucks! the whole reason i bought the the the wireless on g was to have faster speed! ohwell, i guess i'll just upgrade at later or do u think elara would take back the router and give me a refund, i have installed it or anything i just opened the box. i'll try asking over in the elara forum. Also do u know hwere i could get a 802.11g version of the wireless router i have (link to one i have in post above), thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Try this router when upgrading,.....installed last nite and online gaming is running sweet......also can connect a Xbox thru it if you have one....

http://www.dsl-warehouse.ie/product.asp?pr=WAG54G&pm=1517

Here is the Wireless cards I am using

http://www.dsl-warehouse.ie/product.asp?pr=3CRWE254G72&pm=4709

Took me 10 mins to setup 3 machines!! overall setup less than 30 mins and network up and running

i'm goign to be going over to America at the end of May and from a quick look around the wireless routers seems to be alot cheaper over there. What i'm wondering is, would there be any problems using a wireless router from America over here??

SHouldnt be but make sure they have the correct power supply that you can change to euro standard from US.......everything else should work ok!! everything is based on same standards

oh rihgt ok cool. well yeah i was going to buy it online and get it sent to my friend gaff over there. The voltage over here is 220 isn't it? so as long as it has the same power usage and stuff it should be alright yeah

• Advertisement

yeah power is 220 here and 110 over there so same as ur PC u should be able to flick a switch to change the power from one to another!! apart from that it will work ok!! going to US myself in May and doin the same......comp stuff over there is 4 nothin

Advertisement