Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

downloading from bittorent

• 21-03-2004 7:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

i tried downloading from bittorent previously but it seems that the rate of the downloading is slow..around 5-4Kib/s..so i tried to configure my router as how its been shown here...when i tried to find my internal ip add under command promp..it showed ethernet local area connection and local area connection 2 ip add..so which one should i choose??(i'm using local area connection 2 for my broadband)..but i've tried both of the ip add for the router..still the downloading rate is slow..any ideas on how to deal with this???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i'd start off using a program called shadow's experimental bittorent. this has an indicator which typically shows you whether your connection is fine or whether you stuck behind a firewall.

i had a similar problem with eircom when trying to sort out bittorent. you mentioned that you tried to config your router as shown here so i don't know whether you have seen this thread or not which has a guide on how to put a pinhole for a number of ports into your bb modem to allow bittorent to work probably. its for the eircom netopia modem and the guide orginially came from hudson

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=145116&highlight=firewall

hope this helps

data

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭melachi

What are your upload settings?
    It's important that you don't set your upload speed to "unlimited". There should always be a few kb/s left to communicate with all the seeders/peers. So if you've got 512/128 set your maximum upload speed to 11kb/s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jonhate

What bittorrent Client are you using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

i find burst RC5 is the fastest downladiung client for me. While it doesn;t have as many advanced features, it is the only one that downloads for me. Everything else just sits there and never downloads. Give that a shot.

EDIT: SNAP - we have the same avatar :-p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jonhate

Originally Posted by Mutant_Fruit

Bite my shiny metal ass!!:p

I use Azereus I had a few problems before I started using Azereus with my router and firewall but it works a treat now. Its quite fast, and it was easy to set up plus it a nice java client.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

I have been using emule for a while but have rapidly started to dislike it due to the fact you download 650 mbs only to find out the person with the remaining section no longer decides to share... grrr. eMule is cool and has a lot of funky features, generally you are put in queues that are massive and I never get downloads faster than 11 kBps

I've used Shareaza which has proved reliable enough. Downloaded first CD of Deus ex IW. I then decided to download the other CD with eMule and was successful... if not a bit slow. These programs are not download on demand... they are sit and wait which is great if you have DSL always on connection but unusable (unless you want to goto end of queue everytime you redial) with dialup connections...

I've now started a download with Shad0w experiment and so far ive downloaded about 63mbs in 2 hours. Not bad... but not excellent either. I've got a green light so I am assuming that everything is configged right...

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit

awwwww, twins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

You can use shareaza to download your bittorrents. Fot me its still the best p2p out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Arsemonger

Originally posted by talla
    You can use shareaza to download your bittorrents. Fot me its still the best p2p out there.

I find that piece of software pretty handy too, however I'm unsure as to what the recommended settings should be for uploads,downloads & connection

Care to tell me?

I've got IOLBB btw.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Originally posted by Xcellor
    . Downloaded first CD of Deus ex IW. I then decided to download the other CD with eMule and was successful... X

This is not the place to talk about downloading on bittorent.

Chief.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement