Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kicked via Punkbuster ?

Options
  • 21-03-2004 1:21pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭

While on some Uk servers i was getting kicked with message saying i was kicked via punkbuster-you timed out while trying to update punkbuster.
    I had this issue recently on BF and someone here posted a link to a smal file i needed.
    Do i need another for Vietnam guys?
    NOTE: it doesnt happen on Viet-Navan.

BTW ,where are you guys this morning? :)
    Only reason i was on UK servers is cos you guys are still having your beauty sleep :) nad server is empty.
    I sayed away from my Saturday night pub crawl such is the power of BFV and arose this morning at 8am to get as much gaming in today as my busy life and wife will allow :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

was it a 2 minute kick?

It has happened me with BF but so far with BV. Someone once told me it has something to do with norton antivirus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

ill be playing BFV aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllll day once the F1 is over in around 2 hours

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

ill be playing BFV aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllll day once the F1 is over in around 2 hours

LOL a man after my own heart, I am trying to fit the F1 in today also :)

Im getting kicked about thirty mins into games, I don't use norton I use AVG, Thanks anyway.

It is now happening on Viet-Navan :(
    Any ideas guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I'll be joining soon enough for some fun in the Jungle.

Make sure you actually have Punkbuster enabled too. The default is actually to have it disabled. Go into Multiplayer -> Internet and select the Punkbuster box. It is down the bottom.

If you are getting kicked Im not actually too sure. I think it has happened to me once before on BF1942/DC on IOL but it hasent happened yet on BFV. The problem might actually be firewall related. It may be blocking the ports that punkbuster transmits information on. Not too sure which port it uses, trying to find it.

• Advertisement

Yep i have it enabled,one of the first things i done upon installation.
    Me scratching my head vigioursly now :(

Constant kicks now :( on navan also.

Disable your firewall. It might be your firewall just preventing punkbuster from updating itself or checking with itself over certain ports.

I cant really think of any reason why. Could be a bug if its consistant with a few people. As outlined in the last Battlefield: Vietnam Community Update the BF: V team would liek people to email BFHQ@ea.com with their bugs and performance problems, with the subject "BFV Performance Issues".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

It wouldn't be the firewall.
    It happens to me aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Originally posted by Jimeatsmenu
    It wouldn't be the firewall.
    It happens to me aswell.

I think jim might be right, the only time i got kicked via punkbuster for a timeout was when i forgot to disable kerio before i went and played online, i went back disabled it and i wasnt kicked full stop

Shin

Ok i installed the pbweb file into BFV folder and executed it from there,it then updated pb [well so it said]
    Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement

Ok, this has happend to me 3 times now in the last 45 min. Its getting very annoying. Im [as usual] about to save the day then BAM! I get Punkbusted kicked for timeing out.

Did Rev just switch punkbuster on on the server recently as it wasent happening last night. Was running fine. Tonight however the server is been quite jerky and kicking me. Very annoying.

Now, off to watch Shaft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I turned on pb !

I'll turn it off for now

if you dont have adsl it seems punkbuster cant update in the 2 min time allowed so you get kicked

*thats what i think anyway*

Originally posted by bizmark
    if you dont have adsl it seems punkbuster cant update in the 2 min time allowed so you get kicked

*thats what i think anyway*

Im on dial up once i disabled the firewall Punkbuster didnt kick me once

Shin

must you always destroy my ideas damn you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Originally posted by Rev Hellfire
    I turned on pb !

I'll turn it off for now

Still on, and still laggy :(

Originally posted by bizmark
    must you always destroy my ideas damn you :D

OOOPS soz Bizmark

:D

Shin

Originally posted by shinzon
    Im on dial up once i disabled the firewall Punkbuster didnt kick me once

I've got the firewall on the other box disabled yet it still always kick me. Might try and get another firewall, not too happy with that one at the moment.

[edit]
    Finally got it to update itself after numerous errors. First it wasent recognising BFV. Then it wouldnt convert the file to a dll.... ugh. Fixed now though and hopefully my problems solved. Now if I can get my hands on a Lotto Jackpot I will have enough to get broadband..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I use a firewall, and I've no problems with Punkbuster.
    It timed out once, but I overcame that problem, by putting punkbuster.ie (or wotever dll it uses) on the "always permit" outbound/inbound list, and it worked nicely (no time-outs)

The pbweb file dont the trick for me .

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Dcully
    The pbweb file dont the trick for me .

Try what I did then. Get the newest PBWEB file from evenbalance.com here. Save it into your "...\EA Games\Battlefield Vietnam\pb" directory.

Now go to the Evenbalance Punkbuster BFV downlaods page here. The first file to get is the PunkBuster (BFV) Security Files. Download "pbsec.htm" into your "...\EA Games\Battlefield Vietnam\pb" folder.

Next download PunkBuster (BFV) Player Client Files. You only need to download the win32 ones. Download them into the "...\EA Games\Battlefield Vietnam\pb\htm" folder. Downlaod which files you dont have.

Now open and run the pbweb.exe file in the "...\EA Games\Battlefield Vietnam\pb" directory. It is important that this file is in the pb main directory and starts in it. It should then check the evenbalance site and then convert the new security files from htm to dll and so updating your Punkbuster.

Easy as ... writing all 2.5million+ lines of code behind Windows 2000.

[edit]
    Migt have misunderstood you there Dcully, i gather the PBWEB file worked for you. Im getting tired so im reading things. I think i'll go to bed.

Sorry winters that was a typo.
    It does work for me after i installed pbweb.
    I have played for hours since without a hitch.
    Thanks and sorry for confusion.

Advertisement