Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple LAN Setup Problem

Options
  • 21-03-2004 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I am trying to get a LAN setup at home. I have 2 PC's running XP, each with an NIC card installed. They are connected with a network cable.

I ran the network wizard on both PC's but each time I try connect them: 'A network cable is unplugged'.

Im a little new to this. I was told that the wokgroup should be the same on both PC's or they will not see each other. Is this my problem? I think during the Network Wizard it asks to name the workgroup. I cant remember what I called the workgroup on the first PC. How do I find that out so I can name the Workgroup on the second PC.

Can anyone advise what I should do?

Thanks peoples : )

(ps. im a novice)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Are you sure it's crossover cable you're using? 'A network cable is unplugged' usually means a physical problem, and not a setup problem.

To get the workgroup name though, open up system properties and it's in the Computer Name tab

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Definitely using a crossover. I had the first PC linked with a mates laptop the other night. Same cable.

Any ideas people? This is really bugging me because it connected with my mates laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

if you didn't change the workgroup then its MSHOME.
    to find out just open system properties and go to the second tab.
    'A network cable is unplugged' defo mean that the cables aren't in propably cause even if it wasn't crossover the pcs would still know about the cable.
    check that the connectors are firmly in or thats there is no dust etc in the sockets/on the connectors.
    is there only 1 card in each pc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

check for two cards as said above. The no cable present is the lowest level of problem, that is, it is irrelevant to any other configuration details you have. Get the mates laptop and try to connect to both pc's from the laptop. One network card may be gone kersplat.

I've come across oddities with network cards/crossover cables before where the cable will work between two network cards and not two others..

Gav

• Advertisement

Ok, the 1st PC is one I built. It has a built in NIC in the motherboard. This is the one that connects fine to my mates laptop.

The 2nd pc has an NIC i installed myself. Its connected firmly to motherboard, drivers are installed and the cable clicks in firmly also.

Im not at home now to check the workgroup - i think I renamed it. But as far as physical connections are concerned, its solid.

There is a small led on the NIC on 2nd PC. I never saw that light up at any stage. Is that a clue as to whats going on?

I have a suspicion that the workgroup may be the problem. I will check that later when I get home.

This is a strange one. I swear, everything is the way it should be - cponnections etc.
    It simply should work.

If the workgroup was different, would it give 'Network cable unplugged', because the are not seeing each other on the workgroup? Or am I a complete idiot?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Originally posted by Verb
    The no cable present is the lowest level of problem, that is, it is irrelevant to any other configuration details you have.

Maybe I wasn't very clear. It doesn't matter how the tcp/ip/microsoft networking/anything is configured. If the message 'no network cable' appears there is a problem with your card/cable. In this case, it seems to be the 2nd card.. The light should have come on. As I said, test this machine with the laptop, or try a different network card in it.

Gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jdsiiken

Its a long shot but there are some network cards that have crossover detection and auto-correction.The nic in the laptop could be one, correcting the connection while your 2 PC nics can't.

I'd say the NIC is bust. Everything is setup as it should. Will try reinstalling as soon as i stick the floppy drive back in.

Its one of those situations where you simply cannot figure out what the feck is going on! You can visualise it connecting

• Advertisement
Advertisement