Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with my ping

• 21-03-2004 7:20pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

im sure i saw someone posting a link for a site that helped to tweak you BB connection and PC to improve performance. Im looking for something to help with my ping, it seems abit high all the time...

thanks,

Flogen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

what game you playing, what ping you getting, what server do you join ?

You shouldnt really join anything outside europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

UK and Irish servers offer the best pings. If you go outside this, expect pings of 100-150 instead of 50-100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Unfortunately there is little you can do to improve your ping. It is very dependent on the ISP you are with and distance from the first node. I live in Longford and am on with IOL BB. The first node of contact is in Dublin so therefore my ping is higher than someone in Dublin.

Move next door to your ISP :)

If it were possible to tweak your connection to get better ping there wouldn't be so much whining from UTV subscribers ;) Of course their whining is completely justified and I agree wholeheartedly with their disappointment in UTV. If I had chosen to subscribe to UTV which I was soooooooo sooooooo close to doing I'd be incredibly unhappy :) Presently I am only unhappy with my BB.

X

That distance isn't really going to add much to your ping. The major factors are the hop count or how many routers are between you and the thing you are pinging. Which as far as I know will be the same in dublin as in Ballygobackward.

Well I would have been of the same opinion as you Ronoc but Crocoffler or whatever his name is is on IOL BB and in Dublin and his pings are about 17-19 ms to boards.ie and mine are 26-33.

Anyone know how to find out where exchanges are located? I'm very close to Longford town (within 30 mile per hour limit for town). Strange question... but what does an exchange exactly look like?

X

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Xcellor
    Well I would have been of the same opinion as you Ronoc but Crocoffler or whatever his name is is on IOL BB and in Dublin and his pings are about 17-19 ms to boards.ie and mine are 26-33.
    Post a traceroute, and have him do the same and compare them to see where the extra delay is occurring.

Really?
    I was under the impression 25ms was about the lowest you would get on IOL RADSL due to the interleaving error correction. Are you sure your mate doesn't have esat business adsl or similar?

We have already compared tracerts they are scattered among this page. (I am xcellorv2)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=148119&perpage=20&pagenumber=4

It's for this reason that we concluded distance must be factor...

Does the quality of the phone cable that runs from router to eircom socket matter? I've seen these gold plated cables that are supposed to offer superior quality or something... anyone have any experience with them? Im using a bit of a long cable but I doubt that could be causing it...

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I'm not on business BB I have good old IOLBB, and I would have though that since I was in Dublin getting pings of 16-17 would be expected?!, I have 10 hops on my way to boards.ie. As can be seen from the above^^ thread me and Xcellor are on the same gateway - that cannot be good for his pings?.

Originally posted by Xcellor
    We have already compared tracerts they are scattered among this page. (I am xcellorv2)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=148119&perpage=20&pagenumber=4
    Pings are not traceroutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by Ripwave
    Pings are not traceroutes.
    No they are not, but you could have pressed the next page button at the end of that page and found the tracerts:).

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    No they are not, but you could have pressed the next page button at the end of that page and found the tracerts:).
    I could have. But then, he could have posted a link to the page with the traceroutes on it, instead of the page with the pings on it :)

The difference is entirely in the first hop, but that doesn't necessarily indicate an issue with the distance to Dublin, though that's obviously a factor. But tweaking settings on your PC isn't going to make any difference to that. It's possible a different router might shave a couple of milliseconds off, but the best way to find out would be to compare the first hop timings for people that are on the same exchange, or other exchanges in teh same part of the country.

Originally posted by Ripwave
    I could have. But then, he could have posted a link to the page with the traceroutes on it, instead of the page with the pings on it :)

Thought I had posted the correct link, well no matter.

I am probably the only one in Longford with BB... However if anyone knows someone in Longford with BB let me know, I'd be interested to know what their pings are.

X

Advertisement