Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gutti or Bechkam?

• 21-03-2004 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Having watched Real Madrid playing in the Champions league it has become clear that Bechkam athough good isnt a world class player. Gutti is far better and more creative under pressure... whats everyones thoughts?

Gutti or Beckham ? 36 votes

Gutti is better
    0% 0 votes
    Beckham is better
    36% 13 votes
    Dont know/dont care/confused
    63% 23 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Beckham may not be the increadible player he is made out to be but IMHO he's much better than Guti . (although it is kind of hard to compair since ones an attacking midfielder/ forward and the other is a defensive midfielder . Beckham is overated regarding his free - kicks but underated regarding his defensive work .
    Guti just dosent do enough tracking back and probably wouldnt create as many goals either .

I think the majority of people who watch a good bit of la liga will agree with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Eh, defensive midfielder? Who? Beckham?
    Not a fan of David Beckham (or Real Madrid), but credit where credit is due he has done very well this season.
    I think next year will be a better time to judge him though, then he'll have settled in fully. After all he is playing in a different position to the one he played in with Utd and he's playing in a different country. It takes time to adjust and I have to say I think he's been very impressive.
    Guti although a good player, is not world class either. He can be a lazy bastard on the pitch at times.
    I'd pick Beckham ahead of Guti.

Anyway, off topic, I'd just like to thank Bilbao for winning 4-2 yesterday. Should Barca win tonight they're only 6 points off the top. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

I think Guti is better than beckham.... he may be a bit lazy but isnt all of Reál's players like that... I watched beckham against Bayern and sure enough I only seen one visionary pass (the early one to Zidane). Guti works around midfield and is the only Reál player to look for the ball off defence. He creates space in midfield and links up really well with Ronaldo with the type of ball that Ronaldo loves playing off (hit early so Ronaldo can run)

However beckham is a very good player!!

(no one supports Reál ..you just watch... i love watching them play and even better watching them loose HAHAHAHAHA)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Well I don't think Beckham has performed that well in the CL, I've been judging him on the La Liga performances.

Barcelona 1 - Sociedad 0. Only 6 points in it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

I think Beckham's season so far has been a bit over-rated. Hes a bit of a Frank Lampard in my eyes i.e. plays well and is a good player but just doesn't hack it against the top quality opposition.

Hes not up to that class imo. Even his best displays for England (whom he busts his gut for) were against the likes of mighty Greece

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

Or Argentina, who are they?

Beckham is regaurd as the most consistant player in La Liga this season. I watch it every week. Guti is a bucket of sh1te. He has only started playing well recently. He was booed by his own fans before Christmas. I know thats not hard at Madrid but it gives you a good indication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭thesecret7

Guti is a bucket of sh1te.

Thats rubbish !!

check out some of the great goals he has scored and whta he adds to the side...

Click here for more on the magnificant Guti

Beckham has shown to be an ok of a player..but you could see the difference guti made against Bayern.. and reál doesnt have to be reconfigured awkwarkely just to have beckham in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

These 2 players compliment each other in midfield. Guti has had a better run in the side since Beckham came along. Becks is having a good season and they're reckoning he's in the running for the player of the year in Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Originally posted by kensutz
    Becks is having a good season and they're reckoning he's in the running for the player of the year in Spain.

Who reckons this...SkySports?

They have a dedicated BexCam, if you press the red button on SkySportsNews its one of the options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

not just Sky but the spanish press

• Advertisement

whats have going wrong with this poll??? HAve we talking about the same GUTI. The fact remains that the beauty of Guti cannot be matched by, bend it like me cos its the only thing i can do beckham.

Beckham has been given so much lee way by Reál Madrid that it has become a lauging joking..

The spanish media have been making fun of him and once the shine wears off, everyone wil be saying how magificiantley guit i is!!!

And prove in front for everyones eyes that beckham is a donkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Guti was a great player a few seasons ago. He has done nothing this season apart from getting sent off a good few times.

Beckham is a great midfielder. Such a tireless player.

Originally posted by djfattony2000
    Or Argentina, who are they?

A team who didn't make it out of their group in the World Cup :) I didn't think he did that well against them. Wasn't a bad game but he wasn't brilliant. They had a poor world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

The fact remains that the beauty of Guti cannot be matched

Hmmm. What kind of thread is this??? :p

Guti's alright, but he's a bit lazy at the best of times, petulant, and when he was played as a striker, he was absolutely dire. He's not bad in midfield, but he's not better than Beckham.

I think those who think Guti is miles better than Beckham
    are the people who have been watching champions league more than the spanish league .

Beckham is very consistant while Guti is .... well inconsistant . Guti is not world class !!! :eek: . He is only a rotation player at madrid and will only become a first team regualr if the ageing likes of Zidane and Figo are not replaced .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 doozerjack

I read an interview with Joh Cruyff at weekend, and he reckons Beckham will be the first English player to succeed in Spain.
    Considering the scoring exploits of Aldridge, and the opportunism of McManaman to win CL medals while there (I'm sure I'm forgetting someone... Laurie Cunningham?), thats a lofty compliment. I think he could be right.
    Beckham has brought a bit of steel to that Madrid team. They've proved themselves to be the most awesome attacking team in European football over the last few years (and please dont anyone start on the premature Arsenal plaudits again), but regularly crap when not in possession. Beckham's bringing a whole new concept to that team - win the ball back when you lose it.
    Guti's class, but at that club, he's expendible.
    Beckham brings more to the Madrid line-up.

I think those who think Guti is miles better than Beckham are the people who have been watching champions league more than the spanish league .

But that is becuase the CL is most difficult than la liga.

Guti plays the BEST football...

beckham runs around the pitch like a stupid englishman (with the heat ? ) and he is like a donkey who has managed to laarnt to kit the ball streight.

Originally posted by thesecret7
    But that is becuase the CL is most difficult than la liga.

Guti plays the BEST football...

beckham runs around the pitch like a stupid englishman (with the heat ? ) and he is like a donkey who has managed to laarnt to kit the ball streight.

If u think that kittle of Beckham i doubt u watch the spanish league , so his performances in europe havent been top class , but neither has Guti's :eek:

Both of them are overrated if you ask me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

i thought it wa sgreat when Raul loafed Guti versus Bayern. I know it was an accident but still, I hate Guti.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I, too, was never a fan of Beckham at Man Utd and I thought he would fail over in Spain but he proved me wrong. At United he did no work. He never ran passed players and was lazy as there was no competition for a place. But at Madrid he copped on and there is one bit of skill that got him by two players in the CL (it gets shown on every bloody Sky ad) that had me wondering, is this Beckham. While he is a good player, he is overrated but I would have him in any team because of the goals he scores and sets up. He is definitely not the 21'st best ever player though, which he got in some poll I think.

I hate Guti.

how can you say this?

Have you not seeen the magnificant match against the silly french Monacos sides?

Now you will must have to see an more balanced Reál side in the 2nd leg without the donkey behkam!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Doctor Funfrock

Beckham is very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Aliminator

Guti is far better.

how beckham got to #22 in Uefa's Golden Jubliee i will never understand.
    such a shaper. he was annoying enough at Utd. but now......

Originally posted by Doctor Funfrock
    Beckham is very good!
    Good man Doctor Funfrock, keep up the good work, you might hit 100 posts in 1 day at this rate.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Doctor Funfrock

what??? its true :rolleyes: :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 carl carlson

Originally posted by kensutz
    These 2 players compliment each other in midfield. Guti has had a better run in the side since Beckham came along. Becks is having a good season and they're reckoning he's in the running for the player of the year in Spain.

Beckham only looks ok because of the class of players around him and the time and space he has to pass the ball. But it has to be said in the most recent champions league matches- the big ones- He has been out of his depth and guti has shined and benn immence. Guti is far his superior and is a different class

Originally posted by carl carlson
    Beckham only looks ok because of the class of players around him
    I thought that the better the players around you, the worse you look and vice versa. If you're playing with a load of crap players it makes you look better. No?

Well not exactly.
    If a striker is playing with crap players and gets no ball it makes him look crap.
    But if he is playing with good players and gets 3 simple tap ins it makes him look good.

• Advertisement

Beckham only looks ok because of the class of players around him and the time and space he has to pass the ball. But it has to be said in the most recent champions league matches- the big ones- He has been out of his depth and guti has shined and benn immence. Guti is far his superior and is a different class

This is the face of the matter... you must watch the second leg and you will see a much more balanced Reál Madrid playing !!!

Beckham is GOOD ok, but not the World Class

Originally posted by thesecret7
    .Beckham is GOOD ok, but not the World Class

Id say that about Beckham and Guti not just Beckham

Advertisement