Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrading win 98 to win XP pro - network probs

Options
  • 21-03-2004 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

If anyone can help me on this it'd be much appriciated. I've been pulling my hair out all weekend on this.

I'm trying to upgrade an office setup. Currently has 3 pc's with Windows 98 all networked to a server. We have bought 3 new machines all with Windows XP pro. Basically all I want to is migrate all the network settings from each windows 98 machine to the XP machines so I can swop in the new machines for the old machines, so I assume there be no server admin to be done.

However, I've learnt, the network setup on XP pro is very different to 98. Can anyone help? please...........................

--edit-- If I were to post up IP config/gateway/domain info ect from the 98 machines could someone help with the Win XP pro network configurations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

What OS is the server running? and is it a domain controller?
    If its a DC then you will need to join the XP Pro machines to it, Windows 98 is not capable of being a domain member.
    To find out the current network config on Windows98
    Goto Startmenu->run->winipcfg.
    From this window take down IP address, subnet mask, DNS servers, Wins servers and default gateway.
    Also check if the machines are using DHCP or if they are being automatically assigned addresses from the server. IF they get the addresses automatically then you should be able to swap out without having to re-enter them all.
    If you need to join the machines to the domain then you'll need a username and password for the domain that has either domain admin rights or rights to add workstations to the domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

bricks:

What OS is the server running? NT server
    and is it a domain controller? AFAIK yes

If its a DC then you will need to join the XP Pro machines to it, Windows 98 is not capable of being a domain member.
    Currently all of the 98 machines log onto the network domain (I think)

To find out the current network config on Windows98
    Goto Startmenu->run->winipcfg. From this window take down IP address, subnet mask, DNS servers, Wins servers and default gateway.
    Will do and I'll post back here.

Also check if the machines are using DHCP or if they are being automatically assigned addresses from the server.
    No DCHP isn't used. They are assigned IP addresses.

IF they get the addresses automatically then you should be able to swap out without having to re-enter them all.

If you need to join the machines to the domain then you'll need a username and password for the domain that has either domain admin rights or rights to add workstations to the domain.
    Is this the log in screen on windows 98?

off the top of my head

ip address is 192.168.200.22
    Subnet 255.255.255.0
    DNS server 194.125.2.240

I'll get more info tomorrow and I'll post them up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

When you log on to the XP pc - does it give you an option to choose the domain ? - you should either have a choice of the local PCNAME or the DOMAIN name.

control panel - system - computer name - click on the "Change" button to join the Domain - even though it looks like you should click on the "Network ID" one (I've given up trying to figure out the reasoning behind the frequent (re)namings on the interface)

Don't forget that XP home won't participate in domain sercurity for marketing reasons - but you have PRO should should be OK

Thanks for the reply capt`n. I've tried your suggestion - control panal/system/Network ID and then try to setup business setup - connecting to a domain. However I keep getting an error saying other users are logged on (or something to that effect), even though all other machines are logged off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement