Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clicksilver Usage Meter

• 21-03-2004 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭

Is the usage meter on their website working cause mine isn't it says this facility isn't available at the moment?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

No, they took it down after a few weeks because it was giving incorrect info for some people.

I don't exactly get the feeling that they're rushing to fix it, either. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by plazz2000
    I don't exactly get the feeling that they're rushing to fix it, either. :rolleyes:

That rolleyes makes it seem like you think it's a bad thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

thanks and just to be on the safe side is it unlimited upload on utv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Well it is a bad thing if you go over the limit and they charge you/cut you off, which they have a right to do if you go over the limit.

If they provided a meter that was incorrect and you went over the limit then at least you could argue. By taking down the meter they are covering their asses

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Xcellor
    Well it is a bad thing if you go over the limit and they charge you/cut you off, which they have a right to do if you go over the limit.

Yeah but how are we supposed to know when we are approaching and/or have exceeded the limit? If we can't be warned, disconnecting people for going over isn't exactly a wise business practice. If I'm about to get disconnected I want to know beforehand so I can take steps to avoid it. I don't monitor how much I download on a daily basis, neither should I have to. If they want to make sure I don't go over a certain limit, they should monitor it and be able to report my usage back to me whenever I want to check.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

This subject was raised in the support group recently and UTV confirmed that the download meter/counter was not working but that they did ring people who they noticed were downloading a lot and getting near the limit. They confirmed that they gave people sufficient notice and did not leave it until they were just about to go over. The thread is on the UTV support group.

fair enough then. At least they're warning people who are approaching the limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

I doubt they will ring people.

In any case you keep your comp for 2 days solid downloading you can easily get over 8gb if you were downloading from www servers rather than peer to peer... so how could they give you advance warning then... They ring you up and say you are 7.9 gigs.. please limit your downloads...

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭geecee

Any Ideas when UTV reset their Caps?

Is it a month after you have first been connected or is it on the first day of the calender month?

If I ring UTV are they able to tell me my current usage or is it like the telephone bill and they won't know until 2 weeks AFTER the calls are made whether they were made or not?

id imagine the cap is reset every calendar month. I mean you're billed per calendar month so it makes sense..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

utv wont charge you,they will send an email,warning you first before they take any action this is what Charles from utv told me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by rymus
    fair enough then. At least they're warning people who are approaching the limit.

I'm pretty sure I went over the "limit" a month or two ago. Probably did about 13gigs and I didn't get a warning... so I'm guessing they're only warning people who are downloading 24/7. Which is nice.

(Spose it's the least they can do considering the ****ty pings, disconnections... etc)

in that case.. I retract my previous post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Originally posted by PiE
    I'm pretty sure I went over the "limit" a month or two ago. Probably did about 13gigs and I didn't get a warning... so I'm guessing they're only warning people who are downloading 24/7. Which is nice.

(Spose it's the least they can do considering the ****ty pings, disconnections... etc)

Yeah, I've went over the limit by two or three gigs on at least two occasions, but I haven't been warned.

I suspect that with the introduction of the two new packages (8 & 16 gig), they will be a little bit more strict on those who are exceeding their cap, particularly on the 8 gig package

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Aepos

As far as i'm concerned at present there is no need to monitor your downloads as the system doesn't stay on long enough to get to 8gb. And when it is on the speeds are so poor that you would give up anyway.

Thats the way I feel about UTV at the moment.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Originally posted by Aepos
    As far as i'm concerned at present there is no need to monitor your downloads as the system doesn't stay on long enough to get to 8gb. And when it is on the speeds are so poor that you would give up anyway.

Thats the way I feel about UTV at the moment.

I have been trying very hard to resist making the same observation:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭geecee

Originally posted by geecee
    Any Ideas when UTV reset their Caps?

UTV have finally got back to me and confirmed that they reset the caps on the 1st of the month....

However as Aepos points out, it is impossible to get anywhere near the 8GB downloaded anyway considering the connection speeds and outages!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Errrm, if the usage meter doesn't work then how can UTV keep track of how much a user is downloading?

Advertisement