Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MMDS Mast

• 20-03-2004 11:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

I cancelled my MMDS service over 2 years ago with NTL to get Sky Digital. Following repeated requests to NTL to remove the MMDS mast on the roof they ignored me and left it in place. Is this aerial good for anything considering I do not have the NTL digibox or sub.

Comments

Chorus don't remove them either.
    I had to take it down myself two years ago.
    Finders keepers apparently :D

As regards uses for it, seemingly if you have a wan internet service in your area and you subscribe it can be used as an aerial for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Thanks for the info Earthman. Could you elaborate on the "Wan Internet Service", I've not come across that before. It is possible to get broadband using such a service. Also if you know of a WAN Internet service provider in the Dublin area let me know.

You will find all the info you need here .

It's a community effort afaik, and not sure if theres any in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by Earthman
    Chorus don't remove them either.

Yes, I had to threaten them with leagal action before they took mine down.

Of course I now regret that because the mast would have been perfect for a connection to IrishWAN.

not sure if theres any in Dublin.

Not any in Dublin? :D There are loads in Dublin, as well as around the country.

Prisoner6409 - check out the link Earthman gave, you will find maps there and loads of links and contact details on how to get connected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Anyone know the spec for the antennae Chorus/NTL use?

• Advertisement

bkehoe down in New Ross is very knowledgeable on this subject and there is a board here mostly dedicated to this topic.

I'll move this thread over there and leave a copy in cable/mmds

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Depends on whether the down converter (2.4GHz to TV) is built in or not. If there is a 1/2" cable doing from the dish to a box and then a 1/4" cable going from there down then you can use the MMDS dish for WiFi and video sending - though you would need to be careful of the transmit power to stay within legal limits.

MMDS antenna are not designed for 2.4-2.497GHz but are close enough to work (The TV band is wider ya see)

But since you can get new dishes for €40 without the brackets - it's not worth their while recovering it - especially if there is a chance you'd sign up again.

cf. www.irishwan.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Keyser Soze

Anyone know if the Chrous coaxial cable is of good enough quality for data. I have a long connection from my now useless Chorus antennae and the high quality coax is pretty expensive.

Advertisement