Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Golf, Bora, Passat

Options
  • 21-03-2004 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭

I am thinking of buying one of the above. I have been driving a Primera up until now and am used to the size of the car. I am looking for something around 5 or 6 years, i.e. 99 or 00. I would like to keep the engine as small as possible, so a 1.4 Golf or Bora and a 1.6 in the Passat.

How much would you expect to pay, anyone have any experiences with them and any recommended places to visit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

Consider a SEAT Toledo same car for less money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

www.cbg.ie -> was looking in there the other day and there was plenty of VW's about.

www.buyandsell.net

Germans certainly know how to make cars....a good choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

The Passat isn't based on the same chassis as the Golf, Bora and Toledo, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,376 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Can't believe nobody's mentioned the Skoda Octavia yet

The 1.4 is almost identical mechanically to the 1.4 Bora, but new it is €4000 cheaper. It also has an enormous boot. Hard to go wrong on this one. If you want something that looks a bit sportier, I'd go with the Seat as well although that defeats the purpose a bit if you have to stick with the smaller size engines ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 402 ✭✭C@non

I have a Golf mk4 TDI

TOp quality car!! only problems VW have is:

Electrick windows, MAF sensor, electric parts ( some like rear window squigi thingi)

But as long as u keep these parts clean u`ll be fine.

If u get a bora or golf and want VW alloys let me know i have a set of 15" plus goodyear tyres for Euro 400!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by unkel
    Can't believe nobody's mentioned the Skoda Octavia yet

The 1.4 is almost identical mechanically to the 1.4 Bora, but new it is €4000 cheaper. It also has an enormous boot. Hard to go wrong on this one. If you want something that looks a bit sportier, I'd go with the Seat as well although that defeats the purpose a bit if you have to stick with the smaller size engines ;)

Excelent advice, the Seats and Skodas are all built by VW now, the Octavia is a class car and great Value

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 402 ✭✭C@non

Originally posted by irish1
    Excelent advice, the Seats and Skodas are all built by VW now, the Octavia is a class car and great Value

so they will have the same problems then ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭wiped

Originally posted by irish1

Yeah it is good advice ... until you go to trade in and find out that the Skoda's don't hold their value at all ..... although if the guy who started this thread is buying 2nd hand and is going to drive the car for a good 4 -5 yrs then it should be beneficial to him ... if he's the type that changes their car every 1- 2 yrs , he's gonna lose his balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

The skodas are better built than the VW's tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Volkswagens are OK but a lot of the praise they get is due to hype and image. This results in good residual values which can be a good or bad thing depending on whether you're buying or selling. The Mk4 Golf and Bora are not particularly reliable, have poor equipment levels for their price and have stodgy handling. The original poster has a Nissan Primera - even the old ones are agile, good handling cars and IMO replacing the Primera with a Golf/Bora would be a backward step. The 1.4 Litre Golf/Bora is also dog slow as it has only 75 bhp in a fairly heavy body.

The TDi VWs are very good though with great torque but they're not as refined as some moden diesels.

But my mate traded in his Peugeot 306 diesel for a Bora TDi (110 bhp I think) He's not impressed and wishes he kept the Peugeot.

The criticism about reliability, handling and engines also apply to Skoda and SEAT cars however at least these cars seem to be better equipped and offer better value than the VWs.

BrianD3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I want a mix between practicality, price, reliability and styling!! I am well aware of the other manufacturers VW own and the Octavia is a personal favourite. I will buy one when I am 30 and have a family, am only 24!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

personally id go for the bora... the new seat leon also looks nice... my uncle has a top of the range toledo.. best car he's ever had he said and hes had most of the executive type cars... audi etc...

didnt realise you wanted to have a family by the time you are 30!!!! goddamn it man live a little longer than that!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Glyn

The Bora's a good choice, but go for a1.6 if you can, i had a 1.4 00, it was a great car, but a bit underpowered- now have a 1.9Tdi 03, big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Stay away from pasats there lots of trouble unless just had an NCT then you might be lucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

Skoda's are the one to go for my best mate drives one and so do I the Skoda fabia..IS one solid little car and extremely good value for money it is nearly all VW

Whats your Price Range ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Walter Ego

Had a Passat 1.6, nice enough car but underpowered.

Advertisement