Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ClickSilver Slooooow Again

• 21-03-2004 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭

After all the problems Friday and early Saturday the system was going very well for me in Sth Dublin till this evening. Its crawling along pages taking an age to load....

Here we go again.....The support people said don't just moan on forums like this one report all such events to UTV support.....So here goes!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

I am almost afraid to say my clicksilver is running fine, also sth dublin. But on a serious note it is just rediculous that we have to put up with this and pay for this. We must have some sort of come back against utv and let them take it out on whoever(no prizes for guessing). Business is business but this is taking us for muggs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

IOL BB, Pings were a bit iffy and sites were loading a bit slow... a few mins ago... seems to have picked up to acceptable pace. Pinging www.boards.ie

[82.195.131.128] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=47ms TTL=55
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=55
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=55
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 82.195.131.128:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 30ms, Maximum = 47ms, Average = 34ms

X

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Aepos

Yes I agree, Mine seems to be OK again at the moment but all I ask is for a service that is reasonably reliable, of course things go wrong from time to time but this carry on is a major pain. I feel tha blaming the copper provider and claiming its not our (UTV's) fault is a bit rich. UTV are customers of eircom and must surely have balls to insist that the infrastructure can reliably carry the product provided.

It is important I feel that all problems are reported to UTV support (as requested by a very helpfull member of the UTV team) So that at least some sort of track can be kept primarily by us, the customer of the difficulties some of us are experiencing.

Though it wouldn't suprise me if a little sabotage was taking place in certain quarters, if you get my drift..

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

As always, IOL on the Roachestown Ave. exchange in Dublin continues to excel for me:

Pinging www.boards.ie [82.195.131.128] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=55
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 82.195.131.128:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 13ms, Maximum = 14ms, Average = 13ms

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

its perfectly possible for utv to have thier service as good/stable as eircom/iol since its on the same line but unfortunately that seems far from the case, the utv network has been awfull since it launched years before broadband even existed, i had them once for 56k/isdn and i said never again and switched to oceanfree/esat at the time. I think the main reason for utv's dodgy performance is their routing which goes i think from your computer into northern ireland then into london then back into dublin, crazy. the utv routing is shown in below tread from other boards members.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&postid=1483372#post1483372

I think the only way out for utv to fix their network down here in the south is to change the routing completely to dublin just like all other irish isps. Theres prolly more to the problems then that but stoping the london routing wud make utv alot more responsive id imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Originally posted by Aepos

It is important I feel that all problems are reported to UTV support (as requested by a very helpfull member of the UTV team) So that at least some sort of track can be kept primarily by us, the customer of the difficulties some of us are experiencing.

If there is a general fault what is the point of everyone ringing UTV to report it and clogging up all the phones. There are reports in the other threads relating to this weekends debacle of people hanging on for support to answer for up to 15 minutes and then being told that there was a general fault and UTV could do nothing about it.

The ISP's should agree a method of informing their customers of what exactly is going on when there is a general fault - this would surely save a lot of pressure on the support lines and a lot of frustration on the part of customers. I have suggested before that UTV have a messaging service on their line and that a regular update on here and in the support group say every two to three hours would help people stay informed - It would hardly take someone in support more than 5 mins to do this and at least we would all know what was happening or not. It is incredible that there is so little communication with customers from all the ISP's in the event of serious breakdown like this weekends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Originally posted by Aepos

I would agree ,,,,except for the fact that I have been doing just that for the last 4 weeks now , through newsgroup as asked by a UTv staff member and also by e-mail , but I have gotten no response , not to mind satisfaction from them , 4 e-mails , with a ticket number and no reply . how dissapointed am I ?

john.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Aepos

This really is total crap....Got 430kbps on Giganews till around 7.00pm now am getting between 7 & 11 Kbps on Giganews & everything takes ages to load, at least with dial up you know its going to be slow. Does anyone from UTV look at these posts??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Slowdowns here too, just got 110kbps at giganews.

Advertisement